First page for my MG book: The Wizard’s Dog

Post excerpts from your works in progress and give feedback to your fellow writers.
Leeinbex

First page for my MG book: The Wizard’s Dog

Post by Leeinbex » October 14th, 2023, 5:33 pm

Title: The Wizard’s Dog
Genre: Middle Grade Fantasy
Word Count 249

“Any suggestions?” Haddo asked, his fat feet standing in the broken glass. The three of us stood across the street from the Cobra-Hounds, a new gang in Reading, PA. They’d busted up Haddo’s family’s bodega behind us, the yellow and blue wood sign still splintered.

“Maybe three seventh-graders against a gang of…” I counted the black leather jackets across the street coming to destroy the Bodega To Go again. “… of thirteen isn’t a good idea. Not only are they bigger, but they’ve got sticks and knives.” My mind saw the video of the attack from a night ago—food spread over the floor, bottles and smashed shelves. I remembered Papi’s body crumpled on the checkered vinyl floor.

Now they were coming after us.

“I have my Papi’s magic stick,” smiled Haddo. I looked at his short, stocky hands holding the three foot paddle with carved scribbles. Yesterday, I wouldn’t have believed in magic, but that was before the wizard. “It will smash evil.” I wasn’t sure about his magic, but we started crossing the street anyway.

“I got my baseball bat,” said Loot, the tallest of us, looking more like 17 than 13, “it’s all I had time to grab.” He swung it wildly. “You, Miguel?”

“I’ve got these scissors, compinches,.” They both stopped, staring at me. “What? My sister was home. She wouldn’t let me take the butcher knife. Besides, these are really sharp,” I waved them in the air as they rolled their eyes at me.

williamshane

Re: First page for my MG book: The Wizard’s Dog

Post by williamshane » February 22nd, 2024, 9:52 pm

The book sounds so interesting. Where can I read this whole book? Or where can I buy it?
Last edited by williamshane on March 24th, 2024, 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Leeinbex

Re: First page for my MG book: The Wizard’s Dog

Post by Leeinbex » March 5th, 2024, 8:10 pm

Thanks for the interest! I’m actually working with an editor now. Hope to get great ways to improve it. This is my first MG book.