Seeking beta readers for 73,000-word historical fiction novel

Critique partners are worth their weight in gold. So (checking financial page) like $20,000 a pound.
lindsaymariemorris

Seeking beta readers for 73,000-word historical fiction novel

Post by lindsaymariemorris » January 25th, 2024, 2:48 pm

I am looking for beta readers for my 73,000-word novel, Separato, which is set during World War II in both the U.S. and Italy. See WIP blurb below, and let me know if you are interested in reading.

The year is 1939, and even though her Sicilian village is experiencing public debt, things are looking up in seventeen-year-old Concetta Balistreri’s life. She’s just been accepted into a teaching academy, and her boyfriend, Gaetano, has been hinting at marriage. But everything is turned upside down when her father tells her the family is moving to America.

Concetta promises Gaetano she’ll return to Italy. However, when World War II starts, she has to put that promise on hold. Will she forget about Gaetano and move on? Or will she find a way to reunite with her soulmate — if he survives American and British bombardment?

Melanie Gilbert

Re: Seeking beta readers for 73,000-word historical fiction novel

Post by Melanie Gilbert » January 31st, 2024, 7:46 am

Hi Lindsay,
I would be happy to read your novel and give you some feedback. I am also looking for 1 or 2 beta readers for my novel (women's fiction) so perhaps we could 'swap'.
Here is the blurb for my novel:

Iris has spent 30 years coping with tragedy by filling her house with things. Her hoarding has left her isolated and lonely and is damaging her relationship with her daughter, Julia, and her granddaughter, Ellie. Now the council are threatening her with eviction if she does not clear the house.
Julia thinks the solution is simple: Iris just needs to get rid of all the things. But she does not understand that they are what is holding Iris together and she does not know the secrets they hide. Iris, meanwhile, refuses to accept there is a problem and thinks it is all another example of the way the elderly are treated like children.
Julia attempts to help her declutter but it just adds to the friction between them and with Ellie behaving strangely, Julia has other things to worry about.
Alone, with no one to help her, will Iris find the strength to clear the house in time? And what will happen when she has to face up to the tragedies of the past – and explain them to Julia?

If you are interested in this, please get back to me.
Melanie

lindsaymariemorris

Re: Seeking beta readers for 73,000-word historical fiction novel

Post by lindsaymariemorris » February 6th, 2024, 6:07 pm

Hi, Melanie. Thanks! I sent you a PM.