Do any of you other unpublished authors have websites?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
JuiceinLA

Do any of you other unpublished authors have websites?

Post by JuiceinLA » August 16th, 2010, 3:44 pm

Just curious, who does and if it is recommended? Is there a particular genre that is more likely to have a website than others? If you have one, have your benefited?

[Edit] And to add to the question: if you have a website, is it a "blogger.com" site or did you have something built?
Last edited by JuiceinLA on August 16th, 2010, 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stephmcgee

Re: Do any of you other unpublished authors have websites?

Post by stephmcgee » August 16th, 2010, 3:56 pm

I have a website, but I benefit more from the non-static media like a blog and Twitter. I don't think it's a requirement for fiction writers to have a site before becoming agented, but it gives potential agents another means of finding you on the internet when you query them. (And I've read several industry blogs where the blog author says they google the querying author and it can help tip the scale one way or the other when considering a manuscript.) Non-fiction writers sell off their platform. The bigger the platform (i.e. website, blog, facebook, etc.) the more sales, in theory. So there it's a requirement.

I don't know if that helped or not. I've read differing opinions on the matter and it just depends on which agent is answering the question. (Not that I'm an agent, because I'm not. I'd rather be an editor. Less math to keep track of.)

JuiceinLA

Post by JuiceinLA » August 16th, 2010, 6:50 pm

Thanks Steph, I appreciate your perspective. Its definitely something to think about. I have a blog, but its sports (hockey) based, and its a "blogger.com" template. While I think about 100 of my loyal hockey readers would by my book, I don't expect hockey fans to make up the bulk of my readership if the book gets published.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » August 16th, 2010, 9:38 pm

Hi, JuiceinLA,

So far, I'm published by indie press. I've had a website for several years and receive about 11,000 hits to the site per month. I'm also active on Twitter, but that's much more recent than establishing my website: http://www.marilynpeake.com
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » August 16th, 2010, 10:06 pm

What do I need a website for when I've got Nathan's? Oh, wait...

Mark

Post by Mark » August 17th, 2010, 1:35 pm

I've had my own website for a while now (markfeenstra.com).

My website doubles as travel and writing blog, and although there is an element of being mindful of a future need for platform and visibility, the benefits I've realized at this stage are more community oriented. I've met some really interesting people through the blogging experience, and whether I'm just getting insider travel advice, or finding an email friend in somewhat similar writing circumstance, it's a valuable way to interact with people as A Writer, or A Traveler, or A Hockey Guy, or whatever (as I'm sure you already know).

A big part of hosting my own site and buying the domain name is wanting to control the ownership of my name when searched on The Google, and not wanting to operate within the constraints of a Blogger template.

dahosek

Post by dahosek » August 17th, 2010, 9:21 pm

I have a website at http://www.dahosek.com/

You can click the link, but it won't be that interesting.

I do have a design waiting in the wings for that day when there will be content to be presented.

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » August 17th, 2010, 11:42 pm

To answer your question about whether it's pro designed or a blogger, my blog is a blogger template with a custom image and banner that I designed. And it's blogspot.com. The website is hosted through my Mobile Me account and I designed it through iWeb. I've bought a domain name, but can't figure out how to set up my site at it. So, someday everything will be integrated with a feed of my blog to the website.

For now, they're totally separate, but there are links to everything on every aspect of my internet usage.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » August 18th, 2010, 10:51 am

I have one! http://www.charleevale.com

I designed it myself, and use squarespace.com as my 'filter' site. I appreciate feedback if yall have any to give. Enjoy!

CV

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 18th, 2010, 1:13 pm

I have my own website at www.sommerleigh.com

Right now the main page is the blog, but eventually when I move from unpublished author to published I'll probably change the hompage.

I use the wordpress website software, not the wordpress free blog, and host through AN Hosting

When I revert to having a more "designed" home page, I may hire someone to do that for me, but the other stuff I can do on my own and will probably continue to do. I'm not a novice at web design, but not a professional either.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » August 18th, 2010, 2:58 pm

Some other guy in my home state with my same name has a website where he sells his self-published novels that are meant to accompany his paintings of sea-maidens.

I've wondered if any agent has ever tried to Google me and then found him. I sure hope not.

dahosek

Post by dahosek » August 18th, 2010, 3:41 pm

John Dillon wrote:Some other guy in my home state with my same name has a website where he sells his self-published novels that are meant to accompany his paintings of sea-maidens.

I've wondered if any agent has ever tried to Google me and then found him. I sure hope not.
This is where you start to think about using a pen name or include your middle name in your writing name or somesuch.

I was lucky in that I've managed to stake claim to my name (and all the major variations on it) across the net so that if you google me, you generally find only me.

JuiceinLA

Post by JuiceinLA » August 18th, 2010, 4:13 pm

Wow, so this is all very helpful! I am looking forward to checking out all your websites! thank you so much!

And John- that is just painful. Absolutely painful. good gawd.

John Dillon

Post by John Dillon » August 18th, 2010, 9:50 pm

JuiceinLA wrote:
You have no idea. Check out http://www.robertkline.com And once you're there, don't forget to visit the section of the site labeled, "how do mermaids and sea-maidens reproduce?"

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » August 18th, 2010, 9:54 pm

John Dillon wrote:
JuiceinLA wrote:
You have no idea. Check out http://www.robertkline.com And once you're there, don't forget to visit the section of the site labeled, "how do mermaids and sea-maidens reproduce?"
Oi. I'm so sorry.