(This thread is not yet titled)

The writing process, writing advice, and updates on your work in progress
johndavid

(This thread is not yet titled)

Post by johndavid » August 17th, 2010, 11:28 pm

I was talking to a friend that is writing a book and he said he didn't have a title yet.

I couldn't understand that! I LOVE thinking of titles for my books. I have titles for books I haven't even started writing yet.

So... am I odd? Do you like thinking of titles or is it something you do not concern yourself with?

stephmcgee

Re: (This thread is not yet titled)

Post by stephmcgee » August 17th, 2010, 11:36 pm

Sometimes as I'm world-building, in all the randomness, various title ideas will come to me. Other times I have to think and think (a la Winnie the Pooh) and finally land on something that is a good place holder.

And then there are the times that magic just happens and I land on a title. But I don't usually worry too terribly hard when I'm first-drafting. (Meaning not beyond the point of finding something to call the story for saving it to my hard drive.)

Robin

Post by Robin » August 18th, 2010, 8:31 am

Its weird for me, I can help other people come up with great titles, but have not been able to find one that sticks for my WIP.
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 18th, 2010, 8:51 am

I am on my third rewrite, I've been working on my WIP for a year and a half, and I do not have a title.

Oh I've tried to find a title. But no title has come to me that is any good. So I'm still title-less and I have no idea what I'm going to do and I'm really sick of worrying about it !

I'm terrible at titling and naming things, though.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » August 18th, 2010, 10:57 am

I've been working on my WIP for about 2 years, and I had a title, but the story evolved in such a way that the part of the book the title referred to had to be cut! It wasn't until a couple of months ago that a new title presented itself.

I guess I enjoy trying to think of titles, but finding something that sums up your entire story in an economic manner is so difficult!

CV

Heather B

Post by Heather B » August 18th, 2010, 1:00 pm

I am the world's worst when it comes to titles. That's why I have RebeccaB.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » August 18th, 2010, 2:00 pm

My wife and I actually have a title game: we pick fragments out of people's conversations (and our own) that would make great titles. I'm a complete sucker for a great title. A great title just grabs you: Of Love and Other Demons. Thank you, Gabriel Garcia Marquez.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

adamg73

Post by adamg73 » August 18th, 2010, 2:19 pm

I like coming up with titles but I have to admit, I have trouble with my own as well. Perhaps it's the emotional attachment.

Emily J

Post by Emily J » August 18th, 2010, 2:21 pm

johndavid wrote:I was talking to a friend that is writing a book and he said he didn't have a title yet.

I couldn't understand that! I LOVE thinking of titles for my books. I have titles for books I haven't even started writing yet.

So... am I odd? Do you like thinking of titles or is it something you do not concern yourself with?
I am exactly the same way. I have titles for several novel ideas that are little more than a vague outline and some notes scribbled down hastily. I love coming up with titles and geek out when I find that perfect title that has multiple meanings. The OED feeds into this addiction. I guess I can understand how some people may have difficulties coming up with titles. I struggle with character's names. But brainstorming titles for a WiP is one of my favorite parts of writing. Not you know my favorite, cuz thats another thread.

Quill

Post by Quill » August 19th, 2010, 12:10 am

I'm way into chapter titles. My twenty-some chapter titles for my YA WIP actually tell the story (without giving away anything). And none are more than a few words.

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » August 19th, 2010, 12:19 am

I like chapter titles, too. I just tonight changed my numbers to titles in the current project. But I know I'll tinker with those forever because they're all pretty lame at this point. It's harder to name the chapters than it is to name the book sometimes.

Mark

Post by Mark » August 19th, 2010, 12:59 am

Books are supposed to have... titles?

I thought my WIPs could just go on as _________ Project.

Heather B

Post by Heather B » August 19th, 2010, 2:35 am

Yep Mark, titles. Generally chapters too. And if you're feeling really wacky you might want to add some words in there somewhere. But let's not go crazy.
Journey to the Cuckoo's Nest

http://heathermbryant.blogspot.com.au/

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB » August 19th, 2010, 7:57 am

I seem to come up with fantastic titles for other peoples work (So they say), but when it comes to my own, It just won't come to me as easily. Heather B is writing a series at the moment that i titled, and i still can't believe i came up with them. They fit the story, roll off the tongue, and stick in your mind. Everything a good title should do.

RebeccaB

Post by RebeccaB » August 19th, 2010, 7:58 am

Now Heather B get off the other forums and read my query!

PLEASE