So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
r louis scott

So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by r louis scott » June 10th, 2010, 12:09 pm

I just posted mine after reading all of the other entries. There sure are a lot of people with their submission as their one and only forum comment.

charlotte49ers

Re: So who's entering Nathan's first page contest?

Post by charlotte49ers » June 10th, 2010, 1:43 pm

Me! But I'm not a post and runner. ;-)

Claudie

Post by Claudie » June 10th, 2010, 2:32 pm

I'm entering too.

I started reading the blog about a month ago, and when he posted last Tuesday about the forums, I went "Waaaaiiit, there's a forum?" I can't believed I hadn't noticed before.

In short, I came for the first-page contest, but I am here to stay.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 10th, 2010, 3:04 pm

I entered. And I can't go more than a few days without compulsively commenting on something. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Quill

Post by Quill » June 10th, 2010, 9:34 pm

I'm one of the few wannabe-published writers in the world who are NOT entering the contest. I'm just laying back, watching all the hubbub around the forum, the whoosh of new members entering and 250 word excerpts being slapped down, and I'm sipping a nice cool soda.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » June 10th, 2010, 11:04 pm

So, who HASN'T entered Nathan's first page contest? Well, there's Quill, me, and the guys up on the International Space Station...Oh, wait! I think one of the cosmonauts is just posting...

Margo

Post by Margo » June 10th, 2010, 11:16 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:So, who HASN'T entered Nathan's first page contest? Well, there's Quill, me, and the guys up on the International Space Station...Oh, wait! I think one of the cosmonauts is just posting...
Not me, comrade.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

knight_tour

Post by knight_tour » June 11th, 2010, 12:35 am

I'm in, though with the vast number of entries it won't be easy to get picked. I think a few more rules need to be clarified, such as do we need to repost each week or not, and how do we deal with wanting to enter a different opening at some point.

moosebabble

Post by moosebabble » June 11th, 2010, 12:53 am

The contest is my only post so far. I had no idea there was a forum until Nathan mentioned it with regard to the contest. I bet a lot of new people join the forum for the same reason. I've pretty much wasted the entire day reading posts. :)

Margo

Post by Margo » June 11th, 2010, 1:05 am

moosebabble wrote:I've pretty much wasted the entire day reading posts. :)
Only one day? You have lots of catching up to do! I think my first time into the forums, I emerged in a daze a week later.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

moosebabble

Post by moosebabble » June 11th, 2010, 1:23 am

Margo wrote:
moosebabble wrote:I've pretty much wasted the entire day reading posts. :)
Only one day? You have lots of catching up to do! I think my first time into the forums, I emerged in a daze a week later.
Yeah, I've just scratched the surface. This could take a while to catch up.

wildheart

Post by wildheart » June 11th, 2010, 6:15 am

I haven't entered and I have a pretty lame excuse considering it was something I thought about. And the short answer is: I'm afraid. What I've got so far is a first draft and I already know it sucks. I don't need the rest of the world saying the same thing as well. I'd rather enter after spending a few months revising to see where I am at, how close I am to being able to query, ect. You guys are a little intimidating you know? I don't feel like I deserve to enter yet.
http://wildheart90.blogspot.com/
A mother. A writer. A dreamer.

wildheart

Post by wildheart » June 11th, 2010, 6:16 am

I think anyone who entered and that is their only forum post shouldn't be able to be picked, but that's just me. I'm prickly like that.
http://wildheart90.blogspot.com/
A mother. A writer. A dreamer.

Margo

Post by Margo » June 11th, 2010, 10:48 am

wildheart wrote:I haven't entered and I have a pretty lame excuse considering it was something I thought about. And the short answer is: I'm afraid. What I've got so far is a first draft and I already know it sucks. I don't need the rest of the world saying the same thing as well. I'd rather enter after spending a few months revising to see where I am at, how close I am to being able to query, ect. You guys are a little intimidating you know? I don't feel like I deserve to enter yet.
Fear isn't a lame excuse; it's natural. I wouldn't enter a first draft either, and my first drafts tend to be pretty clean as first drafts go. The contest isn't going anywhere, so there's no problem with taking your time to get it polished. Frankly, I will probably never enter. *knock on simulated wood-like product*

But I would say banish the idea that you don't 'deserve' to enter yet. The whole publication process, filled with rejection, will keep you humble enough without you beating yourself up.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 11th, 2010, 11:34 am

Margo wrote:
wildheart wrote:I haven't entered and I have a pretty lame excuse considering it was something I thought about. And the short answer is: I'm afraid. What I've got so far is a first draft and I already know it sucks. I don't need the rest of the world saying the same thing as well. I'd rather enter after spending a few months revising to see where I am at, how close I am to being able to query, ect. You guys are a little intimidating you know? I don't feel like I deserve to enter yet.
Fear isn't a lame excuse; it's natural. I wouldn't enter a first draft either, and my first drafts tend to be pretty clean as first drafts go. The contest isn't going anywhere, so there's no problem with taking your time to get it polished. Frankly, I will probably never enter. *knock on simulated wood-like product*

But I would say banish the idea that you don't 'deserve' to enter yet. The whole publication process, filled with rejection, will keep you humble enough without you beating yourself up.
I agree with Margo. I've passed on entering contests like this on more occasions than I can count because my ms wasn't ready. Now that it is, I'm boldly going where no...me...has gone before. And yes, it's terrifying, because if Nathan does happen to pick mine and says that it sucks I really will be crushed. Rejection is my biggest fear in life, which makes me sit back and wonder why the heck I'm pursuing writing in the first place. Oh, that's right. I can't stop. :)

And no one doesn't 'deserve' to enter. We're all here, and most of us are in the same boat - wannabe published authors who write and dream and love the written word. That in and of itself makes us all worthy to enter.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson