Violent cartoons or t.v. shows you remember as a kid

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Tycoon

Violent cartoons or t.v. shows you remember as a kid

Post by Tycoon » May 26th, 2010, 7:00 am

Now I am talking kid shows only. pick 1 cartoon and 1 non-cartoon

I think I would have to say in no particular order:

1) Tom and Jerry - Violent violent violent

2) The Muppets - The Swedish chef chasing the chicken with a butcher knife or making donuts by throwing dough in the air and shooting a hole in it with a gun!

The reason I ask is because the wife and I attended a class (she runs a daycare) about how kids become violent by watching and copying shows they see... Not sure though, I think I turned out just fine, now excuse me while I go kick the cat!!! j/k

J. T. SHEA

Re: Violent cartoons or t.v. shows you remember as a kid

Post by J. T. SHEA » May 26th, 2010, 4:06 pm

The Roadrunner and Batman. Kerrash! Biff! They made me what I am. I bet the Acme Corporation in Roadrunner inspired Jeff Bezos to set up Amazon.

Em!

Post by Em! » May 27th, 2010, 3:08 am

Tycoon wrote:The Muppets - The Swedish chef chasing the chicken with a butcher knife or making donuts by throwing dough in the air and shooting a hole in it with a gun!
One of the very first versions of The Muppet Show (the first with the chef, actually) was called The Muppet Show: Sex and Violence. I have a sneaking suspicion that would not be allowed today...

Can't say that I've watched many of them, but Popeye cartoons have been around since the 1930s. Those are built on a solid moral foundation of eating your veggies and beating people up.
BookOrTreat: UNICEF fundraiser & online Halloween party for book lovers

Merit Badger: featuring merit badges for writers & readers

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » May 27th, 2010, 2:16 pm

It isn't violent but have you guys seen The Smurfs lately? That show is wacked! No wonder my generation is so psycho!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Em!

Post by Em! » May 27th, 2010, 5:04 pm

dios4vida wrote:It isn't violent but have you guys seen The Smurfs lately? That show is wacked! No wonder my generation is so psycho!
Every 80s cartoon series was required to have some type of deeply disturbing aspect. Every. Single. One.
BookOrTreat: UNICEF fundraiser & online Halloween party for book lovers

Merit Badger: featuring merit badges for writers & readers

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » May 27th, 2010, 7:08 pm

Oh, yeah - the road runner was really bad! So was Bug's Bunny. I think I agree with Em...most 80's cartoons were really bad.

I was a My Little Pony and Carebear gal myself. Don't laugh. Okay, go ahead. It's funny. ;-)

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » May 29th, 2010, 5:17 am

[quote="

I was a My Little Pony and Carebear gal myself. Don't laugh. Okay, go ahead. It's funny. ;-)

~JD[/quote]

I'm laughing, only cause my wife bought video tapes at a garage sale of those shows for my 4 year old to watch.

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » May 29th, 2010, 7:52 am

Tycoon wrote:[quote="]

I'm laughing, only cause my wife bought video tapes at a garage sale of those shows for my 4 year old to watch.
[/quote]

Classics! Those are classics, I say! My daughter also has copies of them. I am not ashamed to say that I still enjoyed watching them. Something about their theme songs just makes you all warm and fuzzy inside ;-)

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

E. A. Brass

Post by E. A. Brass » May 29th, 2010, 12:45 pm

If I think of the most violent that I can remember, I'll have to go with these.

Cartoon: Watership Down. No contest. (Yes, it really is a kid's movie ... )

Non-cartoon: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles. I'm assuming this, because I can't remember the details much (and am also lumping all the live action films together for the same reason), but I figure there was a lot of martial arts and general beating up of bad guys. (Most live-action I watched was tame, unless you personify Dick Van Dyke's ottoman and say its tripping him was violent.)

Of course, like Justine, I also watched a lot of My Little Ponies and Care Bears. Then again, I actually remember some dark stuff in those, too.

Special mention also goes out to Rats of NIMH and the Brave Little Toaster scene at the junk yard with all the singing and crushing.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » May 30th, 2010, 4:57 am

And lets not talk about tv shows for kids from the 70's.

I swear all the people involved in creating these shows ate mushrooms or dropped acid.

Anyone remember Sigmund and the Sea monsters or HR Pufnstuf? 'nuff said!!!