Friday Night Lights

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Nathan Bransford

Friday Night Lights

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 12th, 2010, 8:29 pm

Oh man is it good to see Coach Taylor and the gang again. It's been so long Friday Night Lights has been on, and I had almost forgotten how good this show is. I thought the Fourth Season got off to a great start and the East Dillon plotline shows a lot of promise. Anyone else watching?

Robin

Re: Friday Night Lights

Post by Robin » May 12th, 2010, 8:49 pm

LOVE IT!!
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » May 13th, 2010, 10:51 pm

I only recently discovered this show and bought the first season on DVD. I think it's fantastic! I'm behind in a few shows I'm watching on DVD, including LOST and MAD MEN.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 14th, 2010, 1:41 am

It's really one of my favorite shows of all time. It perfectly captures what it's like to grow up in a small town.

jvc

Post by jvc » May 14th, 2010, 10:00 am

I don't think this has made over the pond yet, but I'll keep an eye out for it just in case. Although I don't seem to be watching as much tv as I used to for some reason.

mmcdonald64

Post by mmcdonald64 » May 14th, 2010, 4:04 pm

This is my favorite show of all time. I have DirecTV just to watch it. I blogged about the show last week--well, and also a few weeks before that-- I think my followers are getting tired of all my FNL mentions. ;-) But it's like spitting into the wind. I keep saying I'll give up on converting people to the show, but when it comes on again, and is as good as season four is, I can't keep my mouth shut. Last week was one of the best hours of tv I've ever seen. The ending killed me.

Side note, a couple of friends of mine are lucky enough to be extras on the set, and in fact, both appear on screen in this season. They just filmed a football game a few weeks ago for season five and sat right in front of Connie Britton, Brad LeLand and the actress who plays Mindy. (Tyra's sister/Billy's wife). It was getting ready to storm, and my friend is an avid storm chaser, knows all the dopplar radar sites on the internet and kept them all abreast of the developing weather situation. Connie kept looking at my friends iphone to check how close the storm was. However, the best part was when they saw Kyle Chandler behind the bleachers tossing a ball for his dog to chase. When they waved, he came over and chatted with them.

abc

Post by abc » May 15th, 2010, 4:40 pm

I liked the first episode best. Coach Taylor is such a wonderful character. And Riggins! (he appears to have been attending my graduate school alma mater, St. Edward's in Austin). I'm a bit wary of the eccentric artist subplot though. Seems a little cheesy.

Also, I almost cried along with that poor Luke character when he was told he had to switch schools. He needs an Emmy for that scene.

Despite the fact that Dillon just doesn't seem large enough for two big high schools, I'm excited to see where Coach Taylor takes the Lions.

mmcdonald64

Post by mmcdonald64 » May 15th, 2010, 5:13 pm

abc wrote:I liked the first episode best. Coach Taylor is such a wonderful character. And Riggins! (he appears to have been attending my graduate school alma mater, St. Edward's in Austin). I'm a bit wary of the eccentric artist subplot though. Seems a little cheesy.

Also, I almost cried along with that poor Luke character when he was told he had to switch schools. He needs an Emmy for that scene.

Despite the fact that Dillon just doesn't seem large enough for two big high schools, I'm excited to see where Coach Taylor takes the Lions.
There was a lot of talk on the televisionwithoutpity boards about the whole East Dillon and why nobody seems to know each other since presumably, they went to school together before. I created my own scenario in my head. lol. I figure that Dillon had mostly kids from in town, but now that they've redistricted, they are pulling kids from the rural areas that may have been going to other schools farther away. It's never explained, but I don't really care about the details any way. The show gets all the little moments right, like that fight between Tami and Eric last night. That was uncomfortably realistic, but then it was forgotten later when Eric came home and sat with Tami on the sofa. That's real too.

Vince becomes my favorite character outside of the Taylor family and I can't wait to see what happens with him in season 5.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 17th, 2010, 8:08 pm

mmcdonald64 wrote:There was a lot of talk on the televisionwithoutpity boards about the whole East Dillon and why nobody seems to know each other since presumably, they went to school together before. I created my own scenario in my head. lol. I figure that Dillon had mostly kids from in town, but now that they've redistricted, they are pulling kids from the rural areas that may have been going to other schools farther away. It's never explained, but I don't really care about the details any way. The show gets all the little moments right, like that fight between Tami and Eric last night. That was uncomfortably realistic, but then it was forgotten later when Eric came home and sat with Tami on the sofa. That's real too.

Vince becomes my favorite character outside of the Taylor family and I can't wait to see what happens with him in season 5.
Yeah, they are definitely stretching things a tad with East Dillon, but so far I've been happy to let the show get away with it. The one question mark that hasn't been answered yet is why Julie gets to transfer to East Dillon even though she's zoned for Dillon High, but not the other kid? I saw a comment on Slate that suggested that maybe Julie gets to transfer because her dad is the coach at East Dillon, but then, couldn't they just make that kid's dad the coach and then bring him back? Could be some interesting mid-season drama.

And yeah, these characters have realistic fights like almost no one else on TV. Such good writing and acting!

mmcdonald64

Post by mmcdonald64 » May 18th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:
mmcdonald64 wrote:There was a lot of talk on the televisionwithoutpity boards about the whole East Dillon and why nobody seems to know each other since presumably, they went to school together before. I created my own scenario in my head. lol. I figure that Dillon had mostly kids from in town, but now that they've redistricted, they are pulling kids from the rural areas that may have been going to other schools farther away. It's never explained, but I don't really care about the details any way. The show gets all the little moments right, like that fight between Tami and Eric last night. That was uncomfortably realistic, but then it was forgotten later when Eric came home and sat with Tami on the sofa. That's real too.

Yeah, they are definitely stretching things a tad with East Dillon, but so far I've been happy to let the show get away with it. The one question mark that hasn't been answered yet is why Julie gets to transfer to East Dillon even though she's zoned for Dillon High, but not the other kid? I saw a comment on Slate that suggested that maybe Julie gets to transfer because her dad is the coach at East Dillon, but then, couldn't they just make that kid's dad the coach and then bring him back? Could be some interesting mid-season drama.

And yeah, these characters have realistic fights like almost no one else on TV. Such good writing and acting!

As far as Julie, I think it's because she has a parent teaching at each school, so she could go to either. As far as Luke's dad becoming a coach...I won't comment on that for spoiler reasons. ;-)

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 18th, 2010, 11:56 pm

mmcdonald64 wrote: As far as Julie, I think it's because she has a parent teaching at each school, so she could go to either. As far as Luke's dad becoming a coach...I won't comment on that for spoiler reasons. ;-)
I knew it!!!

mmcdonald64

Post by mmcdonald64 » May 19th, 2010, 9:31 am

Nathan Bransford wrote:
mmcdonald64 wrote: As far as Julie, I think it's because she has a parent teaching at each school, so she could go to either. As far as Luke's dad becoming a coach...I won't comment on that for spoiler reasons. ;-)
I knew it!!!
Yeah, it's not a huge thing though. Just...well, when you see it, you'll know why that isn't feasible.

jimbessey

Post by jimbessey » June 3rd, 2010, 7:03 pm

I don't even quibble with the details, because this show feels entirely real to me.

This drama was featured last year as "The best show you're not watching" and gets my vote as Best Drama on television, period. I love characters, and I love American football. What more could I ask for?

To anyone blogging about FNL -- never give up; this show is worth every word!

abc

Post by abc » June 4th, 2010, 11:29 pm

Wow, tonight's episode was a pretty amazing one. I think it was the best of the season, so far. Seracen had me shedding some pretty major tears.

Isn't it good to see The Wire's Wallace again (back from the dead)?

And I'm really interested to see where they take the Luke character.

Favorite moments:
Matt shutting the door on the bastards McCoy.
Riggins saying "Never was he called 'Mayday'".
Matt having a "moment" at the Taylor's dinner table. So heartbreaking!
Tammy asking the funeral director to look her in the eye and tell her that he thinks "that boy" can afford a 9,000 funeral. Tammy was built for crisis.

Ah, fathers and their wounded children.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 5th, 2010, 12:48 am

Oh wow, I really feel like that was one of the best episodes of TV I've ever seen. I can't believe how incredible this show is!! Just an incredibly moving episode. Can't decide on a favorite part, whether it was Buddy trying to talk sense to Matt, Coach Taylor walking him home, such incredible acting...

Emmys all around!!