PREDICT THE NEXT BIG YA GENRE

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
eringayles

PREDICT THE NEXT BIG YA GENRE

Post by eringayles » May 14th, 2010, 6:46 am

I know this topic reeks of betting on the horses, crystal balls, and palm reading, but just for fun, what do you think (based on your familiarity with the history of YA ) the next big YA genre might be? It seems a bit of psychological suspense is creeping in, horror is being fiddled with, and crime and detection is nudging.
I am closely accociated with kids ranging from 10 to 17 (I am a teacher, and am involved in drama groups) and sad to say, I get the impression that vamps and werewolves are still going strong - anything of the paranormal, in fact. Surely though, this genre must have a use-by date.
Because I'm writing a YA horror (subtle horror, not blood-and-gore) based on mythology, I'm leaning that way, but who knows?
I'm sure some of the academic purist types on this site (and I love you all) are going to say, ''write what you must, and not for the market." I agree ( we'd probably do a lousy job anyway if we were writing without true motivation) BUT if you are hearing anything on the young adult grapevine, or even if you've simply had a few gut feelings - or voices from heaven maybe, hows about taking a stab - just for the fun of it?
I'll throw horror in as a starter.

Sommer Leigh

Re: PREDICT THE NEXT BIG YA GENRE

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 14th, 2010, 11:16 am

I don't know about "the next big thing" but I do not think vampires and werewolves will ever go away, because they've been popular since I started reading YA in the 80s. Sure they had a few explosions of superhits, but they've never gone away.

I think that horror and dystopian stories will be pretty popular for a while. And I hope they do! Ditto for rewriting mythologies.

I know a lot of people are groaning about yet more vampire novels, and the feeling that they're reading the same books just with the word vampire/werewolf/fairy/witch switched out. But I'm pretty excited about this time period in YA literature. It might feel like a lot of the same thing, but so much of it is smarter, more beautifully written than we've seen in YA lit. Mythology is strong right now, and I think that's awesome. I like non-supernatural stories too, but I'm particularly excited about so many people really getting lost in their imaginations.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Nomad0404

Post by Nomad0404 » May 14th, 2010, 11:29 am

I'd rather YA moved away from Vampires etc but then not being a YA I don't have much say on the matter.

You need a genre that is going to connect to a lot of ideals and emotions that YAs experience in every day life.

What other genre's can do that as well as Vamps, Werewolves, Fairies etc.

Phil

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 14th, 2010, 12:07 pm

I'd get more coming of age Catcher in the Rye/Looking for Alaska stuff anytime... it can be so refreshing from the sci-fi or fantasy genre I usually read.

I also agree that any rewriting of popular mythologies, as well as vampires/werewolves will likely never go away.It might take a few years for someone to crack a new angle on it to make it a huge success, but I'm sure it will happen to someone. I think people are fascinated by them.

treeoflife

Post by treeoflife » May 14th, 2010, 12:48 pm

Here's my guess, and it is just a guess as I have no facts to base it on. When I was a preteen, Star Trek and Star Wars were it. Since then, the YA stuff has gone kind of fantasy style (wizards, gods, mythical creatures). I think the success of Avatar is the first step in pushing the trend back to the sci-fi end (I have no idea how it was received by kids, but it certainly made sci-fi cool again).

FK7

Post by FK7 » May 14th, 2010, 1:08 pm

I think sci-fi is coming back in a big way... Donald Maass in their "What we're looking for right now"page said they're looking for the "new" sci-fi:
http://www.maassagency.com/thismonth.html

With the success shows like LOST, FRINGE and BATTLESTAR GALACTICA have had, coupled with popular films like Avatar (as you already said) or the Star Trek reboot, I think it's proof people are definitely interested in that genre again.

Remus Shepherd

Post by Remus Shepherd » May 14th, 2010, 2:11 pm

I'm betting on 'Hard Science Fiction YA'. Today's kids know more about science (or at least technology) than their elders, it's time they got some literature to celebrate that. Cory Doctorow's _Little Brother_ will be seen as the first of the Hard SF YA wave (which will come to be known as 'Hardpunk').

;)

No, seriously, I have no idea. Children are alien creatures. But I'll peddle hard SF to them anyway. :)

Nomad0404

Post by Nomad0404 » May 14th, 2010, 3:17 pm

I'd put my money more on some kind of cross-over sci-fi theme.

Personally I'd like a Shadowrun based cyberpunk style to be big at some point. It would combine to of my favourite genres.

Phil

Slushpile Slut

Post by Slushpile Slut » May 14th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Ancient Historical Fantasy woven with elements of truth from ancient texts, myths and prophecies!! Think Da Vinci Code meets The Gladiator...AND I just happen to be writing one...Not biased or anything...I'm just sayin :)

JanaOliver19

Post by JanaOliver19 » May 14th, 2010, 4:58 pm

I'm hearing rumors about Angels, Fallen and otherwise, along with demons. At least that's what my editor is saying. I'm not thinking it's going to be as big as the vamp/werewolf wave, but already I'm starting to see YA novels with divine or ghostly beings (FALLEN, SHADE, etc). IMHO YA trends follow the paranormal adult trends, lagging a little bit behind.

Robin

Post by Robin » May 14th, 2010, 6:25 pm

I agree with Jana, angels and demons (fallen angels, angels on earth, etc) is most likely the next "trend" in YA
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

Susan Quinn

Post by Susan Quinn » May 14th, 2010, 6:58 pm

Science Fiction!!! YES!

I am so very pleased to see others noticing this as an emerging trend (blogger friend Beth Revis just got a 3 book deal for YA SF - yay, Beth!). Not only do I WANT it to be an emerging trend (and in MG too, btw), but I think it is actually happening.

AND then there's Steampunk (which is not Hard SF, but a pretty awesome close 2nd). I think Leviathan and Changeless are going to lead the way with that.
Susan Kaye Quinn (young adult and middle grade author)
ImageImage

KateK

Post by KateK » May 14th, 2010, 7:12 pm

Trust me. The next big trend is psychic abilities, like in Wake and Minder. It doesn't take someone with precognition to know that telepaths are the new vampires.
http://www.cafepress.com/+35quot_button,441427920

pastichepen

Post by pastichepen » May 14th, 2010, 7:15 pm

I also agree on the Sci-Fi trend! (And this isn't just because I've been writing YA sci-fi...) I feel like Sci-fi makes a lot of sense, especially with the Hunger Games, trail blazing ahead.

Currently, the big follow up to vampires seems to be demons. I feel like all the books I've picked up recently have been "demons-this, demons-that." There's a lot of paranormal play with the demons, like psychic abilities, etc.

Susan Quinn

Post by Susan Quinn » May 14th, 2010, 7:59 pm

KateK - I hope you're right, since I'm writing a YA with telepathy. :)
Susan Kaye Quinn (young adult and middle grade author)
ImageImage