Google Invests in App that Predicts the Future

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
marilyn peake

Google Invests in App that Predicts the Future

Post by marilyn peake » May 4th, 2010, 4:36 pm

Seriously? Google Invests in App that Predicts the Future: http://mashable.com/2010/05/04/google-predicts-future
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Nathan Bransford

Re: Google Invests in App that Predicts the Future

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 4th, 2010, 10:12 pm

The problem with models that predict the future is that none of them are able to predict the Spanish Inquisition.

eringayles

Post by eringayles » May 5th, 2010, 6:59 am

Nathan Bransford wrote:The problem with models that predict the future is that none of them are able to predict the Spanish Inquisition.
Doh. Don't get it, Mr.B.
But did you know that if the Pope had lived in that era, he'd be the Grand Inquisitor? Before the Conclave - as Cardinal Ratzinger- he was today's counterpart of the GI (Prefect, Doctrine of the Faith).

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » May 5th, 2010, 7:49 am

The Answer is in Monty Python.

All answers are in Monty Python...

"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition..."

(You could also watch Sliding Doors, which references the quotation. It is much good and full of good lines about writing - "Finished the book? Of course I haven't finished the book. I'm a writer."
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Serzen

Post by Serzen » May 5th, 2010, 5:41 pm

I mean, if I was to go around claiming that I was a futurist just because some multinational corporation had invented an application, they'd haul me away! Supreme predictive powers are derived by a mandate from the masses, not some farcical bunch of ones and zeros!

Now we see the queries inherent in the system! Come and see the queries inherent in the system!

(Am I going to be repressed?)

((Edit, sorry, couldn't help myself.))
Last edited by Serzen on May 5th, 2010, 10:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Il en est des livres comme du feu de nos foyers; on va prendre ce feu chez son voisin, on l’allume chez soi, on le communique à d’autres, et il appartient à tous. --Voltaire

eringayles

Post by eringayles » May 5th, 2010, 7:22 pm

Ink wrote:The Answer is in Monty Python.

All answers are in Monty Python...

"No one expects the Spanish Inquisition..."

(You could also watch Sliding Doors, which references the quotation. It is much good and full of good lines about writing - "Finished the book? Of course I haven't finished the book. I'm a writer."
Okaaaay. The only MP I liked was 'The Life of Brian." My husbans's name is Brian, and I just love yelling, "Brian, you naughty boy! Come and clean up your bloody room!!!"
But now I'll wait for Google's Inquisition.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » May 6th, 2010, 2:14 am

Nathan said:
"The problem with models that predict the future is that none of them are able to predict the Spanish Inquisition.”
Ha! Ha! Ha! No one can ever predict the Spanish Inquisition. That’s hilarious! Also, Monty Python’s torture method: “Fetch ... the comfy chair!”
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

Mira

Post by Mira » May 7th, 2010, 10:53 am

All hail Monty Python!

So, this thing is really interesting. I'd really like to know how they made it. What mathematical principle is it using? Even economists (is that a word?) say they can't predict economics. How is Google getting around that?

Although wouldn't it be pretty freaky if it did work? You could predict the stock market.

Although what I'd really love is a machine that predicted my behavior. I could ask it: Okay, what am I doing tonight? When it answered, I'd go do something else. Then I'd come back to the machine and go: You got it wrong. Again. In your face, sucker.

That would be fun. I could probably do that for hours.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » May 7th, 2010, 2:34 pm

Mira said:

“Although what I'd really love is a machine that predicted my behavior. I could ask it: Okay, what am I doing tonight? When it answered, I'd go do something else. Then I'd come back to the machine and go: You got it wrong. Again. In your face, sucker.

That would be fun. I could probably do that for hours.”
ROFLOL. That’s hilarious!!
Marilyn Peake