Formatting numbers

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
Watcher55

Formatting numbers

Post by Watcher55 » July 31st, 2011, 4:08 pm

Proper formatting says that numbers under 100 should be spelled (one, twenty-three etc), and that numbers over 100 should not (123, 4,596 etc). What about when the number is used in dialogue and the speaker stutters?

"One -- one million -- one million nine hundred ninety nine thousand nine hundred ninety nine and I and I remember -- hee heeee. I remember them all." (?)

"One -- 1,000,000 -- 1,999,999 and I and I remember -- hee heeee. I remember them all." (?)

Beethovenfan

Re: Formatting numbers

Post by Beethovenfan » July 31st, 2011, 5:36 pm

Since your emphasis here would be to get the stuttering across, I think it would be wiser to spell it out. I think it makes it more clear. I didn't know that numbers over 100 were to be "spelled" using numbers. Interesting.
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Watcher55

Re: Formatting numbers

Post by Watcher55 » July 31st, 2011, 5:47 pm

Beethovenfan wrote:Since your emphasis here would be to get the stuttering across, I think it would be wiser to spell it out. I think it makes it more clear. I didn't know that numbers over 100 were to be "spelled" using numbers. Interesting.
That's apparently how it's supposed to be done on a submitted Ms.
(15) All numbers under 100 should be written out in full: twenty-five, not 25. But numbers over 100 should be written as numbers: 1,243, not one thousand, two hundred and forty-three. http://www.annemini.com/?cat=1398
My first thought was to spell it out, but - well - agents want things the way they want them.