Old Ask Nathan Thread

Questions for the resident (former) agent
KFran

Re: Ask Nathan

Post by KFran » December 10th, 2009, 8:19 pm

Is there a way to delete a thread? I received wonderful help on my query, but don't want it posted anymore. Can you delete it for me? I did not seem to have a delete option. Have I said delete enough?

Thanks!
KFran

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 10th, 2009, 8:42 pm

KFran wrote:Is there a way to delete a thread? I received wonderful help on my query, but don't want it posted anymore. Can you delete it for me? I did not seem to have a delete option. Have I said delete enough?

Thanks!
KFran
Welll.. I do believe there's a way but I hope you'll consider leaving your query up so others can learn from the feedback.

shadow

Post by shadow » December 11th, 2009, 9:52 am

So if I say post my query up here and you and others critique is it still ok to query you with it? I am finishing a completely new YA project and am planning to query you in the new year but I would love to hear opinions first because it's a one time opportunity. Do you ever pick up a query from the forum because you are interested in that project?

Also my book is for teens probably starting age 14 or 15 but my protagonist male is 19. It's a fantasy so I figured that would be the perfect age for him to be physically ready for the plotline. What do you think? I hope he is not too old. Thanks Nathan!
All things writing, visit my blog http://arielemerald.blogspot.com/

ImageImageImageImage

Emma

Post by Emma » December 11th, 2009, 2:03 pm

Hello Nathan,

I have a question regarding the preferences of agents including yourself. In your opinion is it more appetizing if someone is querying a series with two installations already completed or if they simply query only the very first novel. The series is going to be three books in total unless (hopefully future agent) wants me to do more or until a publisher decides that I should. Would you suggest I let agents know I already have two of the books done and not just the one and am serious about future writing for the rest of my life or do you think simple is better in this case?

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to help all of us out!!!

-heart-
Emma Michaels

jhoward

Fragment Sentences

Post by jhoward » December 11th, 2009, 2:31 pm

What is your opinion on fragment sentences in a query? We all know they are grammatically incomplete but if used sparingly and wisely they can help make your point and make it "pop". At least that is what my mind tells me. I am hoping you can share a quick thought on this.

By the way, you may be tired of hearing this, but your blog and this forum are GREAT! It has been a veritable treasure trove for me. Thank you.

Jodie

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 11th, 2009, 3:01 pm

shadow wrote:So if I say post my query up here and you and others critique is it still ok to query you with it? I am finishing a completely new YA project and am planning to query you in the new year but I would love to hear opinions first because it's a one time opportunity. Do you ever pick up a query from the forum because you are interested in that project?

Also my book is for teens probably starting age 14 or 15 but my protagonist male is 19. It's a fantasy so I figured that would be the perfect age for him to be physically ready for the plotline. What do you think? I hope he is not too old. Thanks Nathan!
Yeah, definitely.

Not sure that a protagonist would have to be 19 since 19 year olds aren't usually that different than, say, 17 year olds physically, but if it works for you go for it.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 11th, 2009, 3:04 pm

Emma wrote:Hello Nathan,

I have a question regarding the preferences of agents including yourself. In your opinion is it more appetizing if someone is querying a series with two installations already completed or if they simply query only the very first novel. The series is going to be three books in total unless (hopefully future agent) wants me to do more or until a publisher decides that I should. Would you suggest I let agents know I already have two of the books done and not just the one and am serious about future writing for the rest of my life or do you think simple is better in this case?

Thank you for reading and for taking the time to help all of us out!!!

-heart-
Emma Michaels
If someone has three books written in a series and none of them have been published it definitely gives me pause. If someone writes the first book in a series and doesn't find publication I'd usually advise against then going and writing the sequel (unless it can completely completely stand alone and doesn't need the first book to work). Placing the first book is hard enough - placing the sequel to an unpublished first novel would be virtually impossible. Unless, again, it can stand alone. But even then I'd just pitch it as the first book in a potential series.

Nathan Bransford

Re: Fragment Sentences

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 11th, 2009, 3:06 pm

jhoward wrote:What is your opinion on fragment sentences in a query? We all know they are grammatically incomplete but if used sparingly and wisely they can help make your point and make it "pop". At least that is what my mind tells me. I am hoping you can share a quick thought on this.

By the way, you may be tired of hearing this, but your blog and this forum are GREAT! It has been a veritable treasure trove for me. Thank you.

Jodie
If it works it works, but dropped articles drive me crazy: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2009/05 ... icles.html

Emma

Post by Emma » December 11th, 2009, 3:08 pm

Thank you very much and happy unofficial agent's day!

Dankrubis

Post by Dankrubis » December 11th, 2009, 3:57 pm

Hello Nathan,

In the first few episodes of Californication, Hank Moody's agent gets Hank a job writing a blog for a company. Is this normal? Do agents get approached by companies looking for writing talent? Or is it strictly book publishing? Just wondering if any other opportunities open up when getting an agent besides possible publication.

Thanks! And apologies if you've already covered this. I read your entire FAQ eight months ago, don't remember you addressing this topic.

Dan

Dakota388

Post by Dakota388 » December 11th, 2009, 5:23 pm

Maybe a silly question. In a query, is it worth taking small risks? I'll use an example to show what I mean. Let's say an agent once replied to someone on her blog, "Oh Gawd, don't call me Ms. Your Highness of Empress would be fine," but it was a couple years ago. If someone sent a query beginning "Dear Empress..." would that be seen as clever? amateurish? Would the agent likely even remember making such a comment? I know this is pretty specific, but my real question is more general in whether something like that is worth the risk. On the plus side, the agent might say, "Oh, he reads my blog." On the negative, she might say, "What is he talking about?" or, "What an amateur!" What do you think?
"The Light of Epertase"-A fantasy novel coming August 1st from Rhemalda Publishing

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 11th, 2009, 10:14 pm

Dankrubis wrote:Hello Nathan,

In the first few episodes of Californication, Hank Moody's agent gets Hank a job writing a blog for a company. Is this normal? Do agents get approached by companies looking for writing talent? Or is it strictly book publishing? Just wondering if any other opportunities open up when getting an agent besides possible publication.

Thanks! And apologies if you've already covered this. I read your entire FAQ eight months ago, don't remember you addressing this topic.

Dan
Haven't seen the show, but yeah, this definitely happens. Either the author is approached by a company to do the writing/blogging and the agent helps negotiate the deal or we'll hear through the grapevine that such and such publication is looking for someone who would be the right fit and we make the connection.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 11th, 2009, 10:17 pm

Dakota388 wrote:Maybe a silly question. In a query, is it worth taking small risks? I'll use an example to show what I mean. Let's say an agent once replied to someone on her blog, "Oh Gawd, don't call me Ms. Your Highness of Empress would be fine," but it was a couple years ago. If someone sent a query beginning "Dear Empress..." would that be seen as clever? amateurish? Would the agent likely even remember making such a comment? I know this is pretty specific, but my real question is more general in whether something like that is worth the risk. On the plus side, the agent might say, "Oh, he reads my blog." On the negative, she might say, "What is he talking about?" or, "What an amateur!" What do you think?
I definitely think showing some personality is fine, but I'd keep it within reason.

commando8

Post by commando8 » December 12th, 2009, 1:59 pm

I'm sure this has been covered at some point, but I can't find the answer: Do you represent the fantasy genre? If not, is there a reason why? Market demand? Your own personal preference? I would appreciate an answer.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 12th, 2009, 2:30 pm

commando8 wrote:I'm sure this has been covered at some point, but I can't find the answer: Do you represent the fantasy genre? If not, is there a reason why? Market demand? Your own personal preference? I would appreciate an answer.
Yeah, I do.