Down the well wrote:How do you handle a request for an exclusive on a partial when you've already got material out with another agent? My gut tells me to send the pages anyway and let the agent know I'm not in a position to offer an exclusive. If they're still interested they can read the pages, and if not I suppose they can ignore them. Sound reasonable?
I hate exclusives, btw. Don't believe in them at all, but I know a lot of agents still ask for them. What to do?
cheekychook wrote:I can't say that I've ever heard of an exclusive on a partial---usually the exclusive requests are attached to fulls---all the more an agent should be able to read a partial quite quickly and get back to you with a yes or no.
kans_007 wrote: Initially I started querying out by saying "I am querying multiple agents but will be happy to give you exclusivity for 4-6weeks if you are interested in reviewing the entire manuscript." But then I deleted the line thinking I may be wasting time waiting for their reply if I offered exclusivity ahead of time.
HillaryJ wrote:Every agent has different opinions. The only advice you should follow is to be honest and protect yourself. Let them know where you stand (the interest of others might spur them to waive exclusivity). And establish a timeline for the exclusive. I recommend a month. If I loved the agent, maybe accept six weeks. But if you are actively querying and receiving interest, there's no reason to bottleneck yourself with one agent if they want an unlimited amount of time to review the ms.
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests