Do any of you other unpublished authors have websites?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
stephmcgee

Re: Do any of you other unpublished authors have websites?

Post by stephmcgee » August 28th, 2010, 10:45 am

sarahdee wrote:
stephmcgee wrote:I finally figured out how to add pages to my Blogger blog so it almost looks like a website.
It looks really good. How did you add more pages?
When you go into the "Edit posts" page, at the top in the left-hand corner there's a little link that says "Edit pages." Click it and you'll be able to add pages, tell your template where to put the page links (either under the header or in the sidebar), and then name your pages, add content, etc.

Thanks! I had a brief flirtation with a graphic design degree (read: 1 semester) in which I took a class on the basics of photoshop, illustrator, and indesign. I still have the books. I bought the book for dreamweaver too so one day I'll build my site from scratch using that program. Just as soon as I have the time to work through the textbooks for all 4 programs (what I didn't get to in my class for the first 3.)

sarahdee

Post by sarahdee » August 28th, 2010, 10:05 pm

stephmcgee wrote:
sarahdee wrote:
stephmcgee wrote:I finally figured out how to add pages to my Blogger blog so it almost looks like a website.
When you go into the "Edit posts" page, at the top in the left-hand corner there's a little link that says "Edit pages." Click it and you'll be able to add pages, tell your template where to put the page links (either under the header or in the sidebar), and then name your pages, add content, etc.

Thanks! I had a brief flirtation with a graphic design degree (read: 1 semester) in which I took a class on the basics of photoshop, illustrator, and indesign. I still have the books. I bought the book for dreamweaver too so one day I'll build my site from scratch using that program. Just as soon as I have the time to work through the textbooks for all 4 programs (what I didn't get to in my class for the first 3.)
Thanks! I never even thought to look in there - I have been through design and settings hundreds of times trying to add pages!

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » August 28th, 2010, 10:15 pm

sarahdee wrote: Thanks! I never even thought to look in there - I have been through design and settings hundreds of times trying to add pages!

You're welcome! I finally had to go through the "Blogger Buzz" posts to find the one announcing the pages feature to figure it out. Blogger doesn't always make things super easy to do, but at least there are sites that create custom background designs for free use.

shari

Post by shari » August 29th, 2010, 12:54 pm

I just started a blog. I'm going through the submission process and I find that it helps me feel like I'm doing something proactive while I wait. And wait. And...well you get the point. I plan on having a website once I'm published which will also have a link to my blog but for now the blog is working. I'd love some input from you fellow writers out there! Feel free to check out my blog and post comments and follow me! It's nice to know I'm not the only one going through this painful process!

Check out my blog here: http://shariarnold.blogspot.com

JuiceinLA

Post by JuiceinLA » August 30th, 2010, 1:45 pm

amyashley wrote:I have a domain and am working at building a site slowly with a web designer who is my uncle. He is a pro, although not into fancy stuff. There are many things on my to-do list at the moment, so I am taking things slowly, but I feel having a web presence can't hurt. .... I'll have to post a link when I'm done!

Amy- how nice of you to check the Blog out!!! Thank you so much. I can't wait until you put some content up on your- I look forward to following you too!

cheers!

djpaterson

Post by djpaterson » September 3rd, 2010, 7:15 pm

Have a website (http://www.djpaterson.com) and a (not so often used) blog (http://djpaterson.wordpress.com).

Created both as preparation for being published (one day. Perhaps!)

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » September 5th, 2010, 11:53 am

My website might soon be going to solely being my blog. I'm starting culinary school and I'm wondering if there's a need for an online portfolio/professional presence in that regard. Rather than sign up for a free website service for one, or make a generic website that can host both writing-related content and culinary-related content, I'm considering buying a second domain. (Then I'd have to pay for hosting packages for both. Sigh.)

This is all assuming that it's more desirable to have these aspects separated than to have a generic site for all of it. Who knew it'd be so complicated, huh?

JuiceinLA

Post by JuiceinLA » September 7th, 2010, 1:33 pm

sarahdee wrote:

I totally agree- this looks fantastic!!!

JuiceinLA

Post by JuiceinLA » September 7th, 2010, 6:45 pm

djpaterson wrote:Have a website (http://www.djpaterson.com) and a (not so often used) blog (http://djpaterson.wordpress.com).

that is a really great website. I love the clean lines!

bgannon

Post by bgannon » September 7th, 2010, 7:54 pm

stephmcgee wrote:I'm considering buying a second domain. (Then I'd have to pay for hosting packages for both. Sigh.)
Actually, you shouldn't! Most web hosts these days, even on budget packages, allow you to host multiple websites within one hosting package. Once you register the domain name and point the nameservers to your host, you should be able to create a directory for your domain. Sort of like creating a subdomain. If your host doesn't offer this service, think about switching--it's an economical solution when you need to maintain multiple simple websites.

djpaterson

Post by djpaterson » September 8th, 2010, 6:36 pm

JuiceinLA wrote:
djpaterson wrote:Have a website (http://www.djpaterson.com) and a (not so often used) blog (http://djpaterson.wordpress.com).

that is a really great website. I love the clean lines!
Thanks, Juice!

Babslighthouse

Post by Babslighthouse » September 10th, 2010, 10:04 am

I have a website as well thru Apple/mobile me and a blog thru blogger.com. I am like some others use twitter and Facebook to help as well.

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » September 10th, 2010, 7:58 pm

bgannon wrote:
stephmcgee wrote:I'm considering buying a second domain. (Then I'd have to pay for hosting packages for both. Sigh.)
Actually, you shouldn't! Most web hosts these days, even on budget packages, allow you to host multiple websites within one hosting package. Once you register the domain name and point the nameservers to your host, you should be able to create a directory for your domain. Sort of like creating a subdomain. If your host doesn't offer this service, think about switching--it's an economical solution when you need to maintain multiple simple websites.
Thanks for the info! Sorry it took me a while to respond. School started this week and it's been a bit of a hectic few days.

TigerGray

Post by TigerGray » September 22nd, 2010, 2:57 pm

stephmcgee wrote:My website might soon be going to solely being my blog. I'm starting culinary school and I'm wondering if there's a need for an online portfolio/professional presence in that regard. Rather than sign up for a free website service for one, or make a generic website that can host both writing-related content and culinary-related content, I'm considering buying a second domain. (Then I'd have to pay for hosting packages for both. Sigh.)

This is all assuming that it's more desirable to have these aspects separated than to have a generic site for all of it. Who knew it'd be so complicated, huh?

Personally I put everything on one blog. The purpose of a writer's blog isn't just about selling books, in my opinion. It's also so your readers can feel as though they have a connection to you, and sharing your life is a good way to get that to happen.
"Who knows themselves better than the blind?' - for every thought becomes a tool." --Luis Borges

http://tigergray.blogspot.com/

Netti

Post by Netti » September 27th, 2010, 9:16 am

Just to clarify, is this the kind of thing to put on a query? Or would the website you put on a query be more related to what your book is specifically about?

(By the way, I'm convinced. Off to make another attempt at a blog!)
"It's kind of shocking to hear Toby called a babe; sort of like calling God a studmuffin."
- Margaret Atwood, Year of the Flood

http://myscientificattempt.blogspot.com/