Kick-Thyself Moments

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
kitchpantrysci

Re: Kick-Thyself Moments

Post by kitchpantrysci » May 2nd, 2010, 9:17 pm

Overcome by excitement after being asked for the first thirty pages of my manuscript last week, I did some last minute polishing and sent it off early the next morning. Later that day, when I finally had time to read over what I had submitted, I realized that I had revised my second paragraph so that it had the word "distant" in one sentence, and the word "distance" a few sentences later. Needless to say, I learned my lesson. Next time, I'll check everything ten before pressing "send." Damn you, Electronic Gods of Instant Gratification!

Ishta

Post by Ishta » May 12th, 2010, 11:23 pm

I wrote an "anonymous" query to be read at a "first pages and queries" feedback session at a local conference. It was peppered with made-up names for the agent, myself, etc., and I had signed off with a made-up address as a placeholder. I got great feedback on my query, and since the MS was as ready as I could make it I went ahead and emailed my query and MS to my top pick agent as soon as I got home. (It was a PB, so don't be offended that I didn't query you, Nathan. I know you don't represent PBs.) I was very careful to comb through the query and change all the placeholders to the actual names... But I missed a few, and stated in the query that I lived on Something Street in Anytown, Canada.

Needless to say, I got a form rejection within minutes.

Oops. I have never been so mortified.

rainbowsheeps

Post by rainbowsheeps » June 15th, 2010, 2:55 am

I sent my first query out... and forgot my contact information.

Luckily, she replied to the email I used to send to her, so it wasn't a big deal. I definitely agonized for a week, though.

Nessa

Post by Nessa » June 15th, 2010, 4:51 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:Oh, I get lots of Dear Ms. Bransford e-mails. Best thing to remember about these things is that it happens to everyone!
What makes you think those aren't on purpose Nathan? Lol, I am just kidding but seriously I had a friend that was really angry at rejections she got and made a list of certain agents she would like to... Yep, I told her to get a life.

LSimon

Post by LSimon » July 1st, 2010, 12:08 pm

After pitching and getting a request for a full at a conference, I went home and happily sent it out. When the euphoria faded and I realized that my novel was not finished with its early revision process and therefore NOT fit for human consumption yet...I panicked! I sent the nice lady a very freaked out email asking her to withdraw my manuscript and I hope hope hope she would look at it when it was better.

Thankfully, she has been kind enough to allow me to resubmit!