How long does it usually take for a partial to come back?

Submission protocol, query etiquette, and strategies that work
BlancheKing

How long does it usually take for a partial to come back?

Post by BlancheKing » March 5th, 2010, 5:06 pm

I am curious about what is the average time span. This past Monday, I sent off my partial to the literary agent I queried. Agent query states that it usually takes a month or two before they reply, yet here I find that people are hearing back within two-three weeks.

The reason I am asking is because the next two weeks are my final-prep and finals week, and I want to figure out how much time I should get aside for the query process, or more importantly, will the next two weeks matter?

Also, for my future reference, should I have sent a SASE with my partial? I looked all over the internet, but none of the websites mentioned anything about it.
One manuscript, One dream, One stack of stamps that needs to be bought...
Writing Process: http://blancheking.blogspot.com/

JustineDell

Re: How long does it usually take for a partial to come back?

Post by JustineDell » March 5th, 2010, 8:28 pm

BlancheKing wrote:I am curious about what is the average time span. This past Monday, I sent off my partial to the literary agent I queried. Agent query states that it usually takes a month or two before they reply, yet here I find that people are hearing back within two-three weeks.

The reason I am asking is because the next two weeks are my final-prep and finals week, and I want to figure out how much time I should get aside for the query process, or more importantly, will the next two weeks matter?

Also, for my future reference, should I have sent a SASE with my partial? I looked all over the internet, but none of the websites mentioned anything about it.
I think it depends on the agent and how busy they are. I've heard some partials take a few months, fulls up to four (whoa!). My full went out on Feb. 12 (I think) and I got my reply this morning.

~JD

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"