New York Comic Con?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
CharleeVale

New York Comic Con?

Post by CharleeVale » October 16th, 2011, 1:09 pm

Did anyone else go to NYCC?

I probably should have asked this BEFORE I went on Friday, then maybe people could have met up!

Ok, so I posted part of this on my blog, and if you want to vote on which book I should review next (Of the ones I received at NYCC, Go there)

But anyone remotely in the New York area who didn't go because you thought it was either too expensive or 'just not your thing.' I'm telling you BOOK PEOPLE NEED TO GET ON THIS!

I got 35 books, including 11 ARCS (Some of which are very highly anticipated! Crossed - Ally Condie, Shatter me - Tahereh Mafi, A Million Suns - Beth Revis, and more!) Total worth of the books I received? (Not including the posters, comic books, sample chapters, pins, bracelets, and other paraphernalia) $452.67. How much I spent? (Including ticket and travel) $69.25. I made more than 6 times what I spent in books, and I only went for ONE DAY!

Man - next year I'm bringing a rolling suitcase to save my shoulders!

CV

Mira

Re: New York Comic Con?

Post by Mira » October 16th, 2011, 2:51 pm

Didn't go, but I'm impressed with your stash, Charlee. You scored! :D

Rachel Ventura

Post by Rachel Ventura » October 29th, 2011, 12:35 am

CharleeVale wrote:Did anyone else go to NYCC?

I probably should have asked this BEFORE I went on Friday, then maybe people could have met up!

Ok, so I posted part of this on my blog, and if you want to vote on which book I should review next (Of the ones I received at NYCC, Go there)

But anyone remotely in the New York area who didn't go because you thought it was either too expensive or 'just not your thing.' I'm telling you BOOK PEOPLE NEED TO GET ON THIS!

I got 35 books, including 11 ARCS (Some of which are very highly anticipated! Crossed - Ally Condie, Shatter me - Tahereh Mafi, A Million Suns - Beth Revis, and more!) Total worth of the books I received? (Not including the posters, comic books, sample chapters, pins, bracelets, and other paraphernalia) $452.67. How much I spent? (Including ticket and travel) $69.25. I made more than 6 times what I spent in books, and I only went for ONE DAY!

Man - next year I'm bringing a rolling suitcase to save my shoulders!

CV
Late to the party, but belated congrats, Charlee!

3 Qs: 1) what does ARCS stand for, 2) how much is the cost attending these festivals, and 3) is there an itinerary where upcoming locations are listed?

Also, I've heard some negative things in the past about the festival: specifically, there was a keynote speaker at one of them who called out a lot of the Jedi recruits in uniform and the requisite Trekkies in attendance. I personally overheard someone (whose son and daughter-in-law actually met at a Comic Con, and bonded over their love of Firefly), say it's more like a "job fair for video-game addicts." (Turns out that she and her son are no longer on speaking terms because he went to work for Nintendo rather than go to law school. Kid makes close to six figures doing what he loves, but is the family outcast because he doesn't have a college degree or a "respectable" career. Poor guy, but lucky too.)

AFAIK there have, in the past, been some pretty big names attending these, and there's a new documentary just out from Morgan "Supersize Me" Spurlock, called something like "A Fan's New Hope," in which he interviews celebrities and other public figures who have "un-closeted" themselves as Marvel and DC devotees and "come out" to attend comic-book conventions in previous years.

So 4th Q: is there still as much of a "nerd" stigma attached to them? I'd be interested to go someday, just to check it out, but am a little afraid I'd meet some crazy people there, with magic Mario mushrooms in their hair... :ugeek:

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » October 29th, 2011, 12:47 am

1. ARC stands for Advance Reader Copy. They're unfinished (final copy edits aren't in) galleys of books that get sent out to reviewers and publicity reps. Since I'm a book blogger, I tend to get more of these than most people. If you ever get one, hold onto it, they're rare. And never buy one on ebay, because that defeats the purpose of ARCs. (also, it says right on the cover--Not for sale)

2. It depends on how many days you want to go. I paid $35 dollars for a one-day pass. There's all kinds of combos and packages. Also, I live with in subway distance, so I didn't have to pay for a hotel or anything.

3. http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com

4. Yes, there is a nerd stigma, but it's growing less, and I don't much care. See, there are many different 'areas' people go for, video games, movies, books, anime, artists, hand crafts, panels, etc. So everyone goes for a different reason, and you can hang with people with similar interests. I hung out with the book people.

And yes, you can get jobs, but that's not it's purpose.

If you don't want to meet/see crazy people, don't go. Google image 'New York Comic Con Costumes' or 'San Diego Comic Con Costumes' to see why.

CV

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » October 30th, 2011, 12:18 pm

Really wish I could have made it! I had a blast at the San Diego ComicCon.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » October 30th, 2011, 5:16 pm

Yeah, that would have been awesome! You, me, and Tahereh could have had a party. :P

CV

Rachel Ventura

Post by Rachel Ventura » October 31st, 2011, 11:03 pm

CharleeVale wrote:1. ARC stands for Advance Reader Copy. They're unfinished (final copy edits aren't in) galleys of books that get sent out to reviewers and publicity reps. Since I'm a book blogger, I tend to get more of these than most people. If you ever get one, hold onto it, they're rare. And never buy one on ebay, because that defeats the purpose of ARCs. (also, it says right on the cover--Not for sale)

2. It depends on how many days you want to go. I paid $35 dollars for a one-day pass. There's all kinds of combos and packages. Also, I live with in subway distance, so I didn't have to pay for a hotel or anything.

3. http://www.newyorkcomiccon.com

4. Yes, there is a nerd stigma, but it's growing less, and I don't much care. See, there are many different 'areas' people go for, video games, movies, books, anime, artists, hand crafts, panels, etc. So everyone goes for a different reason, and you can hang with people with similar interests. I hung out with the book people.

And yes, you can get jobs, but that's not it's purpose.

If you don't want to meet/see crazy people, don't go. Google image 'New York Comic Con Costumes' or 'San Diego Comic Con Costumes' to see why.

CV
Thanks for your reply, Charlee!

Speaking of attendance costs and "the crazy ones" ("Where others see the crazy ones...we see Genius"), when I was really little (we're talking, like, 4 or 5!), I saw an ad for a Macworld Expo being held not far from where I lived. I begged my parents to take me...but all we got to do was walk in the door. That, of course, was free; everything else ran in the hundreds to thousands range. I was so sad, because this was just around the time that Steve Jobs had rejoined Apple -- and he was going to give one of his first of what we now remember as Keynote speeches or "Steve Notes." That's right, Steve Jobs was going to be there but it was too expensive for me to go. :cry: I was probably the youngest little "Genius" in the whole conference hall. :D I bet being only 4, if I'd been in the front row or something he'd have pulled me up on stage like Bruce Springsteen did with Courteney Cox in the "Dancing in the Dark" video. Highly unusual I was, in hopes of being Insanely Great. Now I can only wonder what could (probably wouldn't, though) have been.

$35 isn't bad, but NY is too much of a distance for me. For San Diego, I'd need a Jacob Wonderbar Insanely Great rocketship of my own. ;)

Considering how I've often felt so alienated throughout my life, a comic-book convention might actually be the kind of place I'd fit in. :ugeek: Sounds like LOL fun, which is why you probably won't see a certain Mr. Franzen or Mr. Naipaul on the list of attendees. In which case, all the more reason I'd love to go someday! :mrgreen:

SamuraiSam4219

Post by SamuraiSam4219 » August 6th, 2012, 6:09 pm

CharleeVale wrote:
Yes, there is a nerd stigma, but it's growing less, and I don't much care. See, there are many different 'areas' people go for, video games, movies, books, anime, artists, hand crafts, panels, etc. So everyone goes for a different reason, and you can hang with people with similar interests. I hung out with the book people.
I actually flew to New York for a New York Knicks game and a Rangers games because I scored some cheap tickets through New York Knicks Tickets and Rangers Tickets, but I also got my hands on a pair of comic con tickets as well. I agree with you CharleeVale: there are all types of people going to these types of events and I absolutely love it. I don't like the stigma around these types of conventions, they are just avid fans doing what they love. It is all very comparable to sports fanatics like myself :)