Anyone up for a Meet 'n' Greet?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
dios4vida

Re: Anyone up for a Meet 'n' Greet?

Post by dios4vida » June 17th, 2011, 12:07 am

Claudie wrote:
Nathan Bransford wrote:I'm up for a trip to Vegas. Name the time!
And suddenly this all got 1000 times better
I second that. Nathan, can we bring our copies of JACOB WONDERBAR for you to sign?? That would be super amazing fantastic SQUEE!!
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 17th, 2011, 8:30 am

I think matching orange shirts are in order. Yes.

And yes it was $250 for the whole time. Sun-Fri was $50 a night. It is their off season, though we went to Vegas 2 springs ago during the week of March 14th for our anniversary and the weather was beautiful, we weren't shoulder checking mad crowds, it was perfect.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 17th, 2011, 11:48 am

Okay, I was so excited about this idea that I was dreaming about the BransforumFest! (Of course, I was wearing an ugly dress my Mom made for me when I was a kid - it was great for a 5th grader in 1994, but now...I was such a dork none of y'alls would talk to me so I skulked out.)

I love that so many of us want to bring our spouses/significant others. They can have their own little support group in the corner - Help, I'm dating/married to a writer!

I really like the idea of having the critiques, especially since we aren't looking at doing this until spring we'll all have time to finish/refine our WIPS for review. Would anyone like to do a query critique as well? I think it'd be really helpful, even if we aren't ready for submission at that time. Some roundtable discussions and writing exercises would be excellent, too. Make this thing into half happy hour, half writer's workshop. I love it!!

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 17th, 2011, 12:23 pm

dios4vida wrote:Okay, I was so excited about this idea that I was dreaming about the BransforumFest! (Of course, I was wearing an ugly dress my Mom made for me when I was a kid - it was great for a 5th grader in 1994, but now...I was such a dork none of y'alls would talk to me so I skulked out.)

I love that so many of us want to bring our spouses/significant others. They can have their own little support group in the corner - Help, I'm dating/married to a writer!

I really like the idea of having the critiques, especially since we aren't looking at doing this until spring we'll all have time to finish/refine our WIPS for review. Would anyone like to do a query critique as well? I think it'd be really helpful, even if we aren't ready for submission at that time. Some roundtable discussions and writing exercises would be excellent, too. Make this thing into half happy hour, half writer's workshop. I love it!!

Yes, yes, and yes to all of those ideas! I really like the idea of manuscript and query critiques. Also writing exercises would be fun.

Margo

Post by Margo » June 17th, 2011, 12:33 pm

Nathan Bransford wrote:I'm up for a trip to Vegas. Name the time!
Woohoo! Congrat, Nathan, I think you officially have a cult if you'd like to take over the world at any point in future.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Margo

Post by Margo » June 17th, 2011, 12:36 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:...and the weather was beautiful...
Yeah, we'd probably be looking at the mid to high sixties during the day and mid-forties at night.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 17th, 2011, 12:39 pm

Margo wrote:Woohoo! Congrat, Nathan, I think you officially have a cult if you'd like to take over the world at any point in future.
Yeah, I think between us and the space monkeys we could do rather well. :P

Margo

Post by Margo » June 17th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Watcher55 wrote:So is that 250/night or for all 4 days?

I guess it's too late to nominate St Louis or Branson MO.
I know Sommer already clarified that it's $250 total for five nights at the Luxor [edit: and again, in many rooms that's for two queen beds, so people can be roomies if they want to arrange that ahead of time], but I should point out that people could always come for two or three days instead of the full five. Five days is the number we came up with because more can be too tiring in Vegas and less doesn't leave time for writing stuff and socializing and shopping and shows and and and... But, if we decide to do a workshop day or two, we could always put the workshop days together so someone who wants to do those and the socializing and skip the other Vegas entertainment could save a little money by only coming for 2-3 days.

Margo

Post by Margo » June 17th, 2011, 12:45 pm

hektorkarl wrote:Vegas is probably still a long shot, despite the impressive tag-team effort on Twitter. But Spring is a long time away... so you can mark me as a maybe.
You just need to talk one of the guys into going and being your roomie and then hit the buffets twice a day.

Oh, wait, then there's alcohol... Hmmm we're we girls talking about getting you drunk?

Cookie

Post by Cookie » June 17th, 2011, 12:50 pm

Margo wrote:
hektorkarl wrote:Vegas is probably still a long shot, despite the impressive tag-team effort on Twitter. But Spring is a long time away... so you can mark me as a maybe.
You just need to talk one of the guys into going and being your roomie and then hit the buffets twice a day.

Oh, wait, then there's alcohol... Hmmm we're we girls talking about getting you drunk?
I do believe we did. Is alcohol cheap in Vegas? I suppose if there are 4 of us supplying, it wouldn't be so bad. We could always hit up the liquor store for maximum cheapness.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 17th, 2011, 1:27 pm

*puts on planning hat*

My suggestion is we proceed as follows:
1. We put up a survey for everyone to take on when, where, who, what (Google Docs is excellent for this) and collect some data. We can collect data for a few weeks, encouraging anyone interested to vote.

2. At a certain date in the future, perhaps 4 weeks out? We display the data and depending on interest we can vote for a location or go with the one most requested.

3. We form a committee of people who love to plan things to organize the event. We need a small, dedicated, forward thinking group. Each committee member will take on a responsibility and gather up a subcommittee to help them with details.
Possible subcommittee groups might be:
  • A group can collect ideas and arrange the workshop events
    A group can work to arrange entertainment ideas - big group, small group, and individual outting times
    A group to organize travel plans amongst everyone, help people with options on getting there, and to economize cab fare from the airport and around the city and organize it so no one has to be stranded anywhere alone.
    Maybe this subcommittee can form a group during the fest who are on call with cell phone contacts in case anyone gets lost or separated or who has had one too many martinis and can't get back to the hotel. They can have special super hero badges :-)
    A group to organize the whole itinerary and keep the rest of the BransforumFest committee on track
    A group to work on special extra ideas
    A group to be the liason with the hotel
The committee will keep the rest of the forum updated for those who join us along the way. Since we have approximately 9 months, we have time to work out the details but it is better to contact the hotel and let people figure out money and arrangements as early as possible. Costs are often lower the longer out you book.

4. Maybe the committee could put up a small webpage/blog to post updates, pictures, maps, etc. We can make it user protected so only those who have signed up for the event can view details.

This can be a lot of fun and I know it can be! But if we are going to do this we should have people gathering information and acting for the whole of the group. It would be good to have some decisions made by the end of July so people can start planning.

If this sounds like a place to start, I'll collect names of anyone who wants to be a part of the BransformFest Committee and take on some festival responsibilites.

Margo

Post by Margo » June 17th, 2011, 1:34 pm

I'm not sure if being a regional planner is an endorsement or warning, but I'll help with committee stuff.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » June 17th, 2011, 1:42 pm

Margo wrote:I'm not sure if being a regional planner is an endorsement or warning, but I'll help with committee stuff.
Maybe we should just play it safe and take it as both :-)

trixie

Post by trixie » June 17th, 2011, 1:44 pm

I'm totally in.

I'm happy to help wherever and I like the idea of having 1 responsible Super Hero for bail bonds rescuing each night. Not a bad idea.

I like the idea of helping with the workshop aspect and/or the details (coordinating orange shirts, check in, welcoming folders, happy hours, etc...). But really, just lemme know where you need help.

And doesn't lvcabbie LIVE in Vegas? We should get him over here...

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » June 17th, 2011, 1:47 pm

I'm not good at planning or organizing events (trust me, you REALLY don't want me in charge of anything) but I'm totally there as a cheerleader to encourage everyone and pass out virtual snacks. :D