Anyone up for a Meet 'n' Greet?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
dios4vida

Re: Anyone up for a Meet 'n' Greet?

Post by dios4vida » July 15th, 2011, 1:23 pm

Margo wrote:I also like the idea of doing writing stuff in the morning and maybe for awhile after lunch. Maybe we could have volunteers share their favorite writing exercise for about 30 minutes? Maybe two people/exercises per morning? We might need to figure in the cost of a small conference room. Anyone like the writing exercise idea? Anyone want to volunteer to lead one? I'm willing.

Even though I won't be participating in the crits, I recommend trying to circulate the samples at least a day before the session, for more thoughtful comments. I also suggest crit rules being passed out beforehand.
I'll lead a writing exercise. I have one I'm particularly fond of that I think would be both constructive and entertaining for the group. :)

I think circulating the crits beforehand would be an excellent idea. If there are a lot of people interested in submitting, we might even want to do an email chain a week before, just to make sure all of the samples get proper attention. Rules would be wonderful, also.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Cookie

Post by Cookie » July 15th, 2011, 1:52 pm

I'm with Brenda on circulating the crits beforehand.

Also, I'll exercise with you. I'm a little freaked out by hotel exercise rooms too. I liked it when I was on tour because the band would exercise too, and we always seemed to go to the gym at the same time.

Margo

Post by Margo » July 15th, 2011, 5:03 pm

Cookie wrote:Also, I'll exercise with you. I'm a little freaked out by hotel exercise rooms too. I liked it when I was on tour because the band would exercise too, and we always seemed to go to the gym at the same time.
Cool, thanks! But what's this about a band? I missed that story. What gives?

So...updates...

If people want writing exercises, we have two volunteers so far:
Margo
Brenda

Who else?
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » July 15th, 2011, 5:24 pm

Margo wrote:
Cookie wrote:Also, I'll exercise with you. I'm a little freaked out by hotel exercise rooms too. I liked it when I was on tour because the band would exercise too, and we always seemed to go to the gym at the same time.

So...updates...

Margo
Brenda

Who else?
I want writing exercises!
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » July 15th, 2011, 5:52 pm

Margo wrote:

So...updates...

Margo
Brenda

Who else?
Oh yea, I'm multi-platinum international pop singer. (In my dreams) *I* was not in a band. I did a brief stint as a tour manager for a well known (but shall remain nameless) artist. I still work for him, just not on the road. I'm stuck in the office.

But I want writing exercises too!

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » July 16th, 2011, 12:40 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been following this Meet 'n' Greet thread almost from the beginning, and I would sure like to join the fun. Only problem is, I have a conflict... or, maybe I'll have a conflict, I won't know for sure for a while. Grrrr!

Have the Las Vegas dates been chosen? What are they?

Thanks,

Evelyn

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » July 16th, 2011, 1:39 pm

Evelyn wrote:Hi everyone,

I've been following this Meet 'n' Greet thread almost from the beginning, and I would sure like to join the fun. Only problem is, I have a conflict... or, maybe I'll have a conflict, I won't know for sure for a while. Grrrr!

Have the Las Vegas dates been chosen? What are they?

Thanks,

Evelyn
We've tentatively decided on the first week of March, but I don't think we've set it in stone yet. I think next week I'm going to set up a conversation with everyone who has shown interest so we can all put our two cents in on certain things.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 16th, 2011, 6:39 pm

Def. Keep me posted on the dates. I want to see if I can work it out...

3/12-3/18 would be great for me. Spring break!

CV

Evelyn

Post by Evelyn » July 16th, 2011, 8:13 pm

Thanks for the info, Sommer Leigh.

My conflict is an art show (I'm a jeweler) I'll have to travel to near Chicago and I know the dates (the last week of February) - but I won't know for a while I'll get juried into the show. And then there's the issue of convincing my husband that I NEED TO GO to a writer's event in Las Vegas so soon afterwards, heh heh heh.

There's hope... may I be added to the list as a "maybe"?

Thanks!

P.S. I agree with CharleeVale that 3/12-3/18 would be good dates.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » July 16th, 2011, 9:08 pm

Ok I have sent everyone a PM who has said yes or maybe a PM asking for their email address so that we can discuss off the forums some preferences. Sending group PMs doesn't work very well and forum posts are easy to miss. If I didn't send you a PM, it's because I already have your email address or you didn't say yes or maybe.

So check your PMs!

I'll send out an email to everyone as soon as I hear back from everyone interested.

trixie

Post by trixie » July 16th, 2011, 10:00 pm

As mentioned before, I'm all for "writerly sessions." And I like the idea of am/early afternoon things so the rest of our day is free.

I'm not savvy enough to lead a writing workshop, but I will certainly be there with bells on to learn from all of you.

I also like the idea of crit rules circulating in advance and agree with Brenda, I think (?) that maybe critters could get their stuff passed around via email one week in advance so people who prefer paper copies (ahem, moi) can print out and have more time to spend on each one.

I recall Nathan was willing to attend. Is it a bit much to ask to see if he'd be willing to lead a session? Really, he could read the dictionary and I'd think it was pretty cool. :)

Claudie

Post by Claudie » July 17th, 2011, 11:13 pm

I am all for writing exercises and critique swaps. I'll be bringing my sci-fi project, which will hopefully be nearly in third draft stage by then, but I write quite a bit of high fantasy too.

cookie, if I can find the money, I will absolutely go to the Cirque with you. It's silly that I have to go all the way to Vegas to see something that started in my hometown, but there you have it. They can't tour with Ka, that'd be downright crazy.

I'm also on for the more toursity things. I've never been this south, ever. I'd love to see the desert and beside, it'll give me something to do with my boyfriend. :)

EDIT: I checked my Uni's calendar. My best bet is the week that goes from March 5th to 10th. Otherwise I'll have to work things out with teachers, because there's usually a pile of exams/papers to give in, but I'm sure I can wriggle out of classes for a week.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Margo

Post by Margo » July 17th, 2011, 11:15 pm

We should also take into consideration that everything -- including the rooms -- will be significantly more expensive on weekends and after the first week of March.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Cookie

Post by Cookie » July 17th, 2011, 11:32 pm

Claudie-- Yay!

I've never been to that part of the country either. I would love to hiking, if anyone is up for that too.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » July 18th, 2011, 12:14 pm

Claudie & Cookie - keep in mind that it will be hot and dry down here in March. Since you guys are Northerners and have never experienced the desert make sure that if you do anything outside or strenuous that you're very careful and drink buttloads of water. I'm actually thinking of putting together a letter for those who've never been to the desert. There's a lot of information you need to stay safe. Would that seem pretentious or offensive to anyone?

I echo Margo's comment on the expenses. My anniversary is March 25th and whenever we plan trips they are always so much more expensive because of spring break. Example: This last year my husband took me back to San Diego where we spent our honeymoon. There are usually uber-cheap direct flights from Tucson to San Diego - my sister got tickets in December for $30. For us to go in mid-March, the tickets were $300. No joke. We drove up to Phoenix and flew out of there (3 hour drive) because it was so much cheaper. We also had to move our vacation up a week because the hotel was completely booked. I know a lot of people are students and spring break would be very convenient, but we also need to keep in mind that every other student planning a vacation will be going those same weeks. And Vegas is crowded as it is.

Wow, so many of us are sci-fi and/or fantasy buffs! So far the crit sessions are looking like a perfect match. :D

Also, I think that when we have a final list of those who are willing to lead a writing exercise, we should all share what we're gonna do with each other. That way we won't have two people wanting to lead the same exercise & everyone will be sure to get the widest variety of options.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson