Proof of my Writerly Nerdhood

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Cookie

Re: Proof of my Writerly Nerdhood

Post by Cookie » May 3rd, 2011, 11:01 am

bySD wrote:I had a writerly nerd moment when I discovered there was a dictionary of literary characters at the back of the 1970 unabridged dictionary our neighbor gave us. There are a lot of hidden treasures to be had from an unabridged dictionary, I tell you.
That sounds awesome! I love the stuff at the back of dictionaries!

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » May 3rd, 2011, 11:16 am

I forgot about how I used to read and reread the Medical Book (I believe it was a book from the 1970s, I don't remember the brand, but it had a brown spine and white cover, with brown lettering and a first-aid cross on the cover). I loved the pregnancy and childbirth section, and the first-aid section. It also had a section after childbirth where the child would develop, and I loved seeing the drawings of the babies and toddlers. I love children, and I wanted to be a doctor at one point, but I hate needles and couldn't stand to give shots. XD

I also read the 'big dictionary'. I would look up a word and then the 'see also' words. And I would spiral that way. I would look through the encylopedia section of it, because it had maps and presidents and all sorts of stuff. This thing was so big, it must have weighed at least fifty lbs! I loved those books. My parents thought I was weird.

Of course, I also listened to NPR and the commercial channel on my radio, and they hated that, too. XD Actually refused me to listen to the commercial channel, even though I was in my room alone. O_O
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

JohnDurvin

Post by JohnDurvin » May 10th, 2011, 10:50 pm

My biggest proof of nerdhood was when I read Eric Partridge's slang dictionary cover to cover. It was bigger than most novels. Also, I usually keep an unabridged dictionary within reach of my kitchen table--yes, I have multiple unabridged dictionaries, the biggest being two phonebook-sized hardback volumes--so that I can learn new words while I eat. (Highlights include "scuppernong", an obscure part of a boat, and "xiphosuran", relating to or resembling a horseshoe crab.) And when I'm bored at work, I slip to the back and read Wikipedia articles about history, mythology, linguistics...it's a shame the miscellany/almanac/trivia market is so saturated, because I would definitely be a natural writing for it.
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » June 6th, 2011, 9:31 am

My supervisor brought a book of cowboy boots for us to read so we know the merchandise and I read it front to back and was happy to just be reading something at work. There was another before that, but I skipped the part on custom boot makers and I am reading a third. Unfortunately, the first and third are very outdated.

Chantelle.S.

Post by Chantelle.S. » June 13th, 2011, 6:50 pm

I had a writerly nerd moment when my favourite author added me as a friend on facebook.
I squealed so loud, I'm sure the people on the next island were able to hear me.

I also go into that awkward 'goofy-grin' face when I'm chatting or working with other writers I think are absolutely awesome at what they do. Good thing I 'banned word' with them via the internet so we are all spared the goofy-face-moment-of-awkwardness.

Oh. And I'm watching the Nanowrimo site like a stalker waiting for Camp Nanowrimo to start off. Some people say it already has, others say it hasn't. I don't know who to believe, but I want to believe the latter. Else I'll cry for missing it.

AND. I also brag about being a follower of Nathan's blog to all my other writer friends. So he might not be an agent anymore but he's a PUBLISHED author.
"What are you up to today?"
"Oh, just reading Nathan's latest blog entry."
"Who's Nathan?"
"You don't know who Nathan is?" *insert disbelieving expression here*

And the Oxford Dictionary (New Zealand version) is also on the top of my Christmas list. :ugeek:
"Description begins in the writer’s imagination, but should finish in the reader’s." -Stephen King

http://smithee24.blogspot.com/
http://www.fanfiction.net/u/1570694/Clairavance

JustAnotherJen

Post by JustAnotherJen » June 30th, 2011, 9:05 pm

I love this thread. It makes me smile. :) I recently discovered a copy of Elements of Style (Strunk and White) at a thrift store for a dollar and snatched it up. I had so much fun reading it I couldn't stop talking about it to everyone. Yes, I was giddy about grammar rules and sound writing advice. Yes, I was incredibly annoying. Thankfully it was a short book, and I can pretend to be normal again for a while. (Until I read it again, which I can't wait to do!) :)