WAITING

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Robin

Re: WAITING

Post by Robin » January 14th, 2011, 5:00 pm

Watcher55 wrote:
Thank you for the perspective. Now I can stop actively "waiting". Brick walls every where thank you (They got nothing on my head) as well. I just hope Cheeky saw me smiling when I posted that comment - sorry Robin, I guess this is just another lesson is patience. :)
Darn. No chocolate cake recipe? Well, maybe you could send me some Starbucks. I ran out and I'm shaking like a crackhead :(
We're still stuck in the house from the snow. The roads in my neighborhood are slick and I can't get out!!!!
NO CHOCOLATE CAKE! NO STARBUCKS! What's a girl gotta do??

(die Frosty. die)
Robin
"A glass slipper is only a shoe. Dreamers who only dream never have their dreams come true."

http://www.RobynLucas.com/

cheekychook

Post by cheekychook » January 14th, 2011, 6:41 pm

Robin wrote:
Watcher55 wrote:
Thank you for the perspective. Now I can stop actively "waiting". Brick walls every where thank you (They got nothing on my head) as well. I just hope Cheeky saw me smiling when I posted that comment - sorry Robin, I guess this is just another lesson is patience. :)
Darn. No chocolate cake recipe? Well, maybe you could send me some Starbucks. I ran out and I'm shaking like a crackhead :(
We're still stuck in the house from the snow. The roads in my neighborhood are slick and I can't get out!!!!
NO CHOCOLATE CAKE! NO STARBUCKS! What's a girl gotta do??

(die Frosty. die)
Robin---I told you, if it's an emergency PM me! If not I think the cake recipe will be on my blog the week before Valentine's Day. It's a special occasion kinda cake. :)

And having people bang their head or anything else on me won't get me to blog it any faster! Bunch o maniacs!
http://www.karenstivali.com

Passionate Plume 1st Place Winner 2012 - ALWAYS YOU
Published with Ellora's Cave, Turquoise Morning Press & Samhain Publishing

Fenris

Post by Fenris » January 14th, 2011, 7:28 pm

cheekychook wrote:Bunch o maniacs!
That's us.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Jaime

Post by Jaime » January 16th, 2011, 7:29 am

How many betas do you have? Maybe if you gave it to 2 or 3 at a time, they'd come back in a staggered fashion, and you won't be so hung up on what one person is doing, or why they're taking longer than expected. That way you can compare what each one had to say, too.

And really, 5 days is nothing. I'm still trying to get my ms back from 2 betas who have had it since 2009. They aren't betas I know personally, but they are the friend and the mother-in-law of one of my good, non-writing betas. I thought it would be good to get feedback from people who don't know me at all. But now, my ms has changed so much that it's hardly even the same novel anymore, and seriously, if you've had it that long and haven't gotten around to reading it, that's just insulting.

Hang in there, Watcher. I'm sure you'll find it worth the wait :)

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » January 16th, 2011, 9:59 am

Jaime wrote:How many betas do you have? Maybe if you gave it to 2 or 3 at a time, they'd come back in a staggered fashion, and you won't be so hung up on what one person is doing, or why they're taking longer than expected. That way you can compare what each one had to say, too.

And really, 5 days is nothing. I'm still trying to get my ms back from 2 betas who have had it since 2009. They aren't betas I know personally, but they are the friend and the mother-in-law of one of my good, non-writing betas. I thought it would be good to get feedback from people who don't know me at all. But now, my ms has changed so much that it's hardly even the same novel anymore, and seriously, if you've had it that long and haven't gotten around to reading it, that's just insulting.

Hang in there, Watcher. I'm sure you'll find it worth the wait :)
In the back of mind I knew a week wasn't long enough. I'm actually a patient person when it comes to working with people (I taught teenagers for ten yers), I'm just not so patient when it comes to waiting; especially when waiting stands between me and what I want to get accomplished.

I have three beta, and they all got the manuscript on the same day. Two of my betas are sci-fi fans (they are involved in the planning stages of many of the local conventions). The other one barely understands sci-fi, but she has two sons, one of whom repesents my target audience.

In the mean time, I've directed my efforts toward reasearch and perspective gathering (Taking notes on Joseph Capbell and reading Edith Hamilton's MYTHOLOGY). At least that way I'm doing something constructive even though it means I only met one of my goals this week.

Thanks for the reality checks y'all and more importantly the encouragement.