Addiction. I has it.

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
dios4vida

Re: Addiction. I has it.

Post by dios4vida » December 2nd, 2010, 7:50 pm

Watcher55 wrote:RIESEN - Can I come over to your house?
Sure! You bring your stash and I'll break out mine and we'll have a good ole time! :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » December 2nd, 2010, 11:33 pm

Does making silly posts on Nathan Bransford's blog and forums count?

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 2nd, 2010, 11:37 pm

J. T. SHEA wrote:Does making silly posts on Nathan Bransford's blog and forums count?
Snackin' on Silly? How sober is that?

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 3rd, 2010, 11:03 am

For me, it's Gatorade. I don't know why, maybe it's because I'm too young to get my morning rush from coffee, but then soda doesn't work either. Has to be Gatorade. I can go through an entire 2-liter a day if I'm not careful. For some reason I just seem to write better with a glass of the stuff on the coaster next to my laptop. Write a sentence. Sip. Repeat until I run out of Gatorade or things to say (though the two seem to coincide).
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 3rd, 2010, 1:33 pm

Margo wrote:I guess I have to be different. Again. I get into the writing and forget about the snack I made or the tea I brewed. Not so yummy three hours cold.
Argh! I do this same thing! I'm particularly bad about picking up coffee from Scooters drive through on the way home planning to camp out at my laptop all night writing. I get home, start writing, and the coffee ends up almost entirely untouched and cold several hours later.

I also cannot eat when I'm writing. It is sort of an either or and never both.

However, I do have to have something in my left hand when I'm "working" but not writing. As in, when I'm thinking or clicking about with my mouse and making edits or spell checks or whatever that doesn't require both my hands to type. I hold toys of some sort in my left hand, like a koosh ball or some other tactility pleasing object. I do this when I'm at my grown up job too.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » December 3rd, 2010, 1:39 pm

I like to have someone from "the family" sitting next to me. But then I notice they're looking and I go, "AH! It's not finished yet and you're too young for this anyway!"

To which my parents in the other room go, "Are you talking to those creepy dolls again?"

"Yes, it's part of my creative expression. You talk to yourself."

"But I don't answer."

To which I roll my eyes, look at my doll and go, "Yes, I know, they just don't get us at all."

XD

I hold no delusions of sanity. They're too heavy and squishy feeling.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 3rd, 2010, 1:41 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:
Margo wrote:I guess I have to be different. Again. I get into the writing and forget about the snack I made or the tea I brewed. Not so yummy three hours cold.
Argh! I do this same thing! I'm particularly bad about picking up coffee from Scooters drive through on the way home planning to camp out at my laptop all night writing. I get home, start writing, and the coffee ends up almost entirely untouched and cold several hours later.

However, I do have to have something in my left hand when I'm "working" but not writing. As in, when I'm thinking or clicking about with my mouse and making edits or spell checks or whatever that doesn't require both my hands to type. I hold toys of some sort in my left hand, like a koosh ball or some other tactility pleasing object. I do this when I'm at my grown up job too.
Hmmmph - As I was reading this, I noticed I was kneading a lump of sticky-tac in my left hand.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » December 3rd, 2010, 1:47 pm

Watcher55 wrote: Hmmmph - As I was reading this, I noticed I was kneading a lump of sticky-tac in my left hand.
I keep a mini container of pink Play-Doh at my desk at work to play with in my left hand. I also keep a skull and cross bones pirate flag to twirl between my fingers sometimes.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » December 3rd, 2010, 2:33 pm

Watcher55 wrote:
Sommer Leigh wrote:

Hmmmph - As I was reading this, I noticed I was kneading a lump of sticky-tac in my left hand.
I used to be a chronic play-with-something person. With the problems in my hands I'm not supposed to do anything like that anymore (I'm not even supposed to be typing, sshhhh!) but occasionally I still find myself twirling a pencil between my fingers or playing with my old Koosh ball or something like that. I even have a "thinking stick" which is about two feet long and 1/2 inch thick that's smooth from hours and hours of rubbing and twirling it around. I don't know why but it really helps me think!

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

jetchez

Post by jetchez » December 3rd, 2010, 4:27 pm

Usually I write at Starbuck's with an Americano. I can't eat anything though, I gots me a bit of OCD tendencies and can't handle the crumbs/grease/salt and having constantly to wipe, type, wipe, type, wipe, type, wipe, type, wipe, type...did I mention I have OCD tendencies.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » December 3rd, 2010, 5:39 pm

jetchez wrote:Usually I write at Starbuck's with an Americano. I can't eat anything though, I gots me a bit of OCD tendencies and can't handle the crumbs/grease/salt and having constantly to wipe, type, wipe, type, wipe, type, wipe, type, wipe, type...did I mention I have OCD tendencies.
As my sister would say: "I have CDO. It's like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order like they should be."

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » December 4th, 2010, 1:07 am

I have several addictions, which can't be discussed here, but I will say that having a snack at hand to kill my rhythm when I'm in the groove is NOT a good thing.

Not that I'm a neurotic writer or anything ...

A drink on the other hand (or IN the other hand) ...

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 4th, 2010, 12:17 pm

Matthew Rush wrote:A drink on the other hand (or IN the other hand) ...
A drink in the hand is worth two in the fridge. :D
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Down the well

Post by Down the well » December 5th, 2010, 10:07 am

I don't do this while I write, but since I'm in the research phase for my next project I can admit that I am addicted to ANGRY BIRDS. OMG, I can't stop.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 5th, 2010, 10:26 am

Down the well wrote:I don't do this while I write, but since I'm in the research phase for my next project I can admit that I am addicted to ANGRY BIRDS. OMG, I can't stop.
????
Does angry poultry taste better than the complacent kind?