Silly things we think about

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Watcher55

Re: Stupid things we think about

Post by Watcher55 » December 4th, 2010, 3:20 pm

Mira wrote:
Fenris wrote:
Mira wrote:For example, we take turns living Einstein's life, and things like that.
But that would mean literally being him--I don't want to have to do all that math, and think of the disastrous effect if I failed!

Well, I think not failing is built into this fictional system I've created, but that is an excellent point about the math! Yech. I clearly didn't think this through.

Okay - here's something I think about ALOT. You know that fish that kills you if you eat it UNLESS you cut it and cook it in just the right way?

Ahh, the pitfalls of trial and error; but maybe the emporer was looking for a new cook and puffer fish was the Iron Chef-esque audition dish. "If you can eat your creation without dying, you're hired."
How did they figure that out??? Did someone say to themselves, "Look, I know this fish is fatal, but I have this strange, compelling feeling that if I cook it the right way, it WON'T kill everyone who eats it. I'm just going to keep trying to cook it in different ways, and when someone I feed it to doesn't drop dead, by George, I'll have found it!!"

Mira

Post by Mira » December 4th, 2010, 3:26 pm

Watcher55 wrote:Ahh, the pitfalls of trial and error; but maybe the emporer was looking for a new cook and puffer fish was the Iron Chef-esque audition dish. "If you can eat your creation without dying, you're hired."
Yes, but how did they even know there was a way to eat it without dying????? I'm serious when I say I think about this ALOT. It sort of drives me nuts.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 4th, 2010, 4:54 pm

Mira wrote:Yes, but how did they even know there was a way to eat it without dying????? I'm serious when I say I think about this ALOT. It sort of drives me nuts.
Somebody tried to commit suicide by eating one, and failed?
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Mira

Post by Mira » December 4th, 2010, 7:56 pm

Fenris wrote:
Mira wrote:Yes, but how did they even know there was a way to eat it without dying????? I'm serious when I say I think about this ALOT. It sort of drives me nuts.
You know, that's a distinct possiblity, Fenris. You may have solved the mystery!

alienbogey

Post by alienbogey » December 4th, 2010, 10:33 pm

Mira wrote:
Fenris wrote:
You know, that's a distinct possiblity, Fenris. You may have solved the mystery!

Or.....someone tried to poison an enemy by serving him the fish, beautifully cooked so he'd eat it, then he 1) survived and 2) pronounced it delicious.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 5th, 2010, 11:21 am

alienbogey wrote:Or.....someone tried to poison an enemy by serving him the fish, beautifully cooked so he'd eat it, then he 1) survived and 2) pronounced it delicious.
Ahh...I must bow to alienbogey on this one. After all, if one were trying to commit suicide by eating said fish, why would they bother preparing it a certain way, if at all?
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 6th, 2010, 12:09 am

I wonder if Santa Claus got his name because someone heard a child trying to say "Saint Nicholas" too fast.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 6th, 2010, 4:58 pm

Watcher55 wrote:I wonder if Santa Claus got his name because someone heard a child trying to say "Saint Nicholas" too fast.
Probably. I'd never thought about it before a friend of mine brought this very same question up a few days ago. It's certainly a distinct possibility.

Mira

Post by Mira » December 6th, 2010, 5:10 pm

Fenris wrote:
alienbogey wrote:Or.....someone tried to poison an enemy by serving him the fish, beautifully cooked so he'd eat it, then he 1) survived and 2) pronounced it delicious.
Ahh...I must bow to alienbogey on this one. After all, if one were trying to commit suicide by eating said fish, why would they bother preparing it a certain way, if at all?
I could go with either - although I still think this whole thing is very mysterious. Usually, when people eat something and it kills them, other people don't decide to have another go at it.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 6th, 2010, 7:46 pm

Does anyone want to join my campaign to convince people they SHOULD walk on the esculator?

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 6th, 2010, 7:57 pm

Watcher55 wrote:Does anyone want to join my campaign to convince people they SHOULD walk on the esculator?
Yes, provided you don't mean in the opposite direction. People don't seem to understand that the fact that walking will get them where they're going does NOT cease to exist just because the staircase is moving too.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 6th, 2010, 8:55 pm

Fenris wrote:
Watcher55 wrote:Does anyone want to join my campaign to convince people they SHOULD walk on the esculator?
Yes, provided you don't mean in the opposite direction. People don't seem to understand that the fact that walking will get them where they're going does NOT cease to exist just because the staircase is moving too.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I actually thought I was alone in this.

I suggest we start with fliers before we move up to pushing the lazy lumps outta the way.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 6th, 2010, 10:11 pm

Watcher55 wrote:I suggest we start with fliers before we move up to pushing the lazy lumps outta the way.
Probably a good idea--I'm too small and skinny to shove people out of the way, I generally just dodge around them.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 7th, 2010, 7:59 pm

I'm making cookies (the toll house kind with wal nuts) and it's the first time I'm not cutting them off of a premixed log. I got to the florist just in time. She had exactly 2 1/4 cups of flower.

Fenris

Post by Fenris » December 7th, 2010, 8:30 pm

Watcher55 wrote:I'm making cookies (the toll house kind with wal nuts) and it's the first time I'm not cutting them off of a premixed log. I got to the florist just in time. She had exactly 2 1/4 cups of flower.
I'm not sure whether to laugh or gouge my eyes out...