Silly things we think about

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Margo

Re: Stupid things we think about

Post by Margo » January 4th, 2011, 12:29 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:Like, what could possibly have motivated that first person who saw a chicken essentially drop an egg from its bottom and think, "Man, I'm totally going to eat that thing."
In studying shamanism for a project, I learned that many shamanistic cultures have medicinal herbal treatments that the shamans came up with after taking a trance-inducing substance and communing with the plants. The plants themselves told the shaman how they could be used by him/her. So if you believe in shamanism, plants, animals, and rocks can talk if you're in the right frame of mind. If you don't believe in shamanism, it's just some really high dude having delusions and eating weird stuff he finds on the ground.

So perhaps some really tranced out/high person watched a chicken lay an egg...

On a related note, here is one of my favorite quotes from a Time Magazine article: The first artificial sweetener, saccharin, was discovered in 1879 when Constantin Fahlberg, a Johns Hopkins University scientist working on coal-tar derivatives, noticed a substance on his hands and arms that tasted sweet. No one knows why Fahlberg decided to lick an unknown substance off his body…
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Fenris

Re: Silly things we think about

Post by Fenris » January 11th, 2011, 3:29 pm

Forgive me for introducing a rather darker topic than has been seen so far here, but...

Wisdom, like death, is unpredictable. It catches us off guard, and we're rarely ready or prepared for it. It can come in a sudden burst, unexpected, or can show hints of itself, flashes in the dark, steadily revealing more of itself until it is upon us at last, and we can see the light.

They also seem to appear with greater frequency as one grows older, but that is neither here nor there.
Hi, my name's Fenris. I'm a thousand-year-old monster who's broken free to destroy the world. Your kids will love me!

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » January 18th, 2011, 3:50 pm

So I'm driving nd listening to the radio. A commercial for a Medical Group comes on and they're sellfing their state of the art practices and and excellant doctors....blah - but the the address is

5050 Poplar - I wonder how many patients come out alive? Should they move about 20 blocks up the street to 7030?

RachelHowzell

Post by RachelHowzell » February 18th, 2011, 6:23 pm

If I will actually get lock-jaw if I eat or drink something that came from an opened refrigerated can. Still too scared to try...
Author of The View from Here - available for 99 cents at Amazon.

Please visit me at http://www.writinginmycar.blogspot.com.

JohnDurvin

Post by JohnDurvin » February 18th, 2011, 6:28 pm

Jaime wrote:If there is such a thing as reincarnation, then could it be possible that reincarnation is not a linear event? Could I be reborn in 1478 A.D.? That might explain why some people can predict the future . . . Perhaps they actually lived it.

Oooh! Dibbs on that novel concept!!! New WIP, here I come!
While I'm not aware of anybody thinking that, the Buddhist belief in reincarnation in a cyclical universe means that we could all be the same soul in billions of places at once, at varying stages of learning--or, if you count animals, gods, demons, and so on as having souls, trillions. Quadrillions. (I don't know how many there are supposed to be.)
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

JohnDurvin

Post by JohnDurvin » February 18th, 2011, 6:32 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:Like, what could possibly have motivated that first person who saw a chicken essentially drop an egg from its bottom and think, "Man, I'm totally going to eat that thing."
Plenty of animals eat eggs; I think it's logical. Oysters, that's a little harder to believe. What I find hard to believe is the first people to invent soap: why would you boil lard and ash together in the first place, and then think to yourself, "hey, I bet if I rub myself down with this, I'll totally smell better."
Everybody loves using things as other things, right? Check out my blog at the Cromulent Bricoleur and see one hipster's approach to recycling, upcycling, and alterna-cycling (which is a word I just made up).

Rosie Lane

Post by Rosie Lane » April 11th, 2011, 10:27 am

Do dogs have accents in their bark? I sometimes wonder.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » May 19th, 2011, 8:47 am

What if scientists manage to engineer a yy zygote? would it be the harbinger of an androgyn war?

Guardian

Post by Guardian » May 19th, 2011, 10:26 am

When someone is showing a picture, that one is usually saying; See? This is how I looked like in the past.

I wonder why people are saying this. It's completely evident as no picture is ever going to show how you're going to look like in the future. :)

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » May 19th, 2011, 7:26 pm

Guardian wrote:When someone is showing a picture, that one is usually saying; See? This is how I looked like in the past.

I wonder why people are saying this. It's completely evident as no picture is ever going to show how you're going to look like in the future. :)
Here's one of me an archeologist friend of mine took in 3011. I was much older here.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » May 20th, 2011, 9:06 am

is there anyone who turns the volume down when BOHEMIAN RHAPSODY is playing?

Cookie

Post by Cookie » May 20th, 2011, 9:16 am

Watcher55 wrote:
Guardian wrote:When someone is showing a picture, that one is usually saying; See? This is how I looked like in the past.

Here's one of me an archeologist friend of mine took in 3011. I was much older here.

Do you lose weight? Your future self looks malnourished.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » May 20th, 2011, 9:28 am

Cookie wrote:
Watcher55 wrote:

Do you lose weight? Your future self looks malnourished.
I heard a rumor someone's going to pay the doctor to make my lap band extra tight.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » May 20th, 2011, 5:23 pm

Watcher55 wrote:Here's one of me an archeologist friend of mine took in 3011. I was much older here.
Ouch! :D

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » May 23rd, 2011, 9:06 am

Am I the only one who has a problem with the word, "chipotle"? It just doesn't seem like that word should fit in anyone's mouth.