Has it gotten you yet?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
sierramcconnell

Has it gotten you yet?

Post by sierramcconnell » October 21st, 2010, 5:34 pm

I'm talking about the dreaded three letter word that strikes fear in the hearts of hundreds of thousands of adults nationwide.

Flu.

Yes, I went there. FLU!

Have you gotten your flu shot? Have you gotten the flu?

I recently (about three or four weeks ago) contracted a cold. I was sick for two weeks and felt like a pile of watered down poo. So I went to the doctor and he tested me and told me that while I had the cold I also got the flu, why didn't I come in sooner?

"I'm a tough cookie, doc."

Fast foward two weeks. I'm not much better aside from being less like watery poo and more the consistancy of sticky-dry poo. I go back.

I now I have post-flu bronchitis, and a sinus infection. Usually caused by having a cold or flu.

The moral of this story is:

If the $30 flu shot looks expensive to you?

Take into account what you will need to pay for getting sick. Say oh, two $20 Co-pays, $50 for Tamiflu and about $50 in various medication to relieve symptoms plus $15 for the antibiotic...

Yeah. Next year (and tomorrow) guess who's getting a flu shot?

I'm just hoping I'll be getting all of the sickness out of the way for NaNoWriMo, Thanksgiving, and Christmas. I'll have a wonderful Holiday\Winter Season.
I'm on Tumblr!

The blog died...but so did I...and now I'm alive again! OMG.

Mira

Re: Has it gotten you yet?

Post by Mira » October 21st, 2010, 10:07 pm

Aw - sorry you were sick! I hope you're feeling better.

I'm alittle leary of flu shots, myself. Everyone I know who gets a shot, gets the flu. I know some swear by them, though. But for me - just alittle leary....

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » October 22nd, 2010, 8:39 am

I, too, hate flu shots because every time I got them I always got the flu any way. They would tell me it was a different strain or it mutated on them. So I said, to heck with it and didn't get a shot and was fine every year up until now.

I think I might like to take the chances of trying the flu shot again! Because this has been horrible. Never have I felt so sick aside from last year's six month infection! [shudder]

Sometimes I wonder if I even have an immune system. I think it's why I make some of my characters have such flaws. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

Guardian

Post by Guardian » October 22nd, 2010, 10:32 am

I'm sorry that you're sick, but flu is part of our life, our evolution. I'm always wondering why the people in the U.S. are so fascinated by the flu vaccine and why they're taking at all. Where I'm from we're not taking it at all as flu itself is part of life itself and it's just strengthening our immune system.

i.e. I've never got anysort of flu vaccine, just as no one in my family, our friends, etc, etc... and we also never had any sort of problem thoughout our lives, not even flu. Selling flu vaccine is business, but it's usefulness is highly questionable. The H1N1 business was the very same. In the U.S. they're claiming it was useful. Here in Europe the governments are started a crusade against the pharma companies because they manipulated the media and lied to everyone to sell their vaccines (I don't believe CNN is ever going to tell this.). Plus in a country where I'm from, selling any sort of flu vaccine is a joke as we have our natural, high quality national drink, the Palinka for that, just as the Russians has the Vodka which is another flu killer. Flu vaccines are actually weakening your immune system to buy more in the future and make your immune system addictive to it.

Sierra. You're wondering how is it possible you have flu, while you had the vaccine. This is the reason as your natural immune system which is capable to synthetize around 99 major medicines in your body is unable to recognize the flu anymore and can't fight against it efficiently. You're wondering you have an immune system at all. Since you're getting the flu vaccine year by year, yes you have an immune system, but no, you don't have basic immune defense system against the flu at all as it was killed by the year by year vaccine dozes.

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » October 22nd, 2010, 10:38 am

Actually, I haven't had a flu shot in about ten years because they never worked. My parents made me get one and then I just decided to throw caution to the wind.

Technically, I have an autoimmune disease, they just haven't been able to pin down which one. So I always blame that my body is too busy fighting itself to catch the invaders until it's too late. It's like a book plot! Civil war is spreading through the kingdom and it's the perfect opportunity for the enemy to invade and steal the crown!
I'm on Tumblr!

Guardian

Post by Guardian » October 22nd, 2010, 11:00 am

sierramcconnell wrote:It's like a book plot! Civil war is spreading through the kingdom and it's the perfect opportunity for the enemy to invade and steal the crown!
LOL My body is usually making a preemptive precision air strike on the intruders. :)

stephmcgee

Post by stephmcgee » October 22nd, 2010, 12:15 pm

I get a flu shot every year. It stems from when we had to because of my dad's poor health. Now it's just habit.

J. T. SHEA

Post by J. T. SHEA » October 23rd, 2010, 8:48 pm

Guardian, this is far from being a USA versus Europe thing. Overmedication, by pharmaceutical drugs or alcohol, is every bit as popular in Europe as in the USA. Much of Ireland's economy, for example, revolves around the manufacture of drugs and alcohol.

Flu is indeed part of life. So are cancer, heart attacks, strokes, blindness, and hundreds of other lethal or debilitating diseases. Mother Nature knows a thousand nasty ways to kill us.

And Europe has a long way to go to match the campaign against pharma excesses being conducted by Iowa Senator Charles Grassley and his committee, for example. As for CNN, try Fox News instead.

Guardian

Post by Guardian » October 24th, 2010, 7:31 am

What you say is mostly true regarding few countries of Europe, but my native country is far away from the other European countries. We used to think different then the other countries in the E.U. And don't worry. I'm watching Fox instead of CNN... when I'm watching some sort of news at all. :)

saraflower

Post by saraflower » October 29th, 2010, 3:21 pm

I haven't been sick for over a year now. I work out 5 days a week, drink lots of water, take Vitamin C, and always sanitize my hands. It works!! :)

sierramcconnell

Post by sierramcconnell » October 29th, 2010, 3:30 pm

saraflower wrote:I haven't been sick for over a year now. I work out 5 days a week, drink lots of water, take Vitamin C, and always sanitize my hands. It works!! :)
I'm a compulsive handwasher\hand sanitizer (though they say that actually causes germs to breed on your hands because of the gel). It didn't do me a bit of good because I'm a mouthtapper. XD
I'm on Tumblr!

saraflower

Post by saraflower » October 29th, 2010, 3:35 pm

sierramcconnell wrote:
I'm a compulsive handwasher\hand sanitizer (though they say that actually causes germs to breed on your hands because of the gel). It didn't do me a bit of good because I'm a mouthtapper. XD
LOL!

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » October 29th, 2010, 4:29 pm

I get a flu shot every year. I work in a hospital and if I don't do it, no matter how much handwashing and care I take of myself, I'll get very, very sick at least once during the season. I learned my lesson when I first started working in hospitals and I had the same mind set that I didn't want to overvaccinate myself. And oh I was such an idiot. I've never been so sick before in my life than those first two years when I didn't get the shot.

As it is now, I still might get sick even after the shot, but the duration I'm sick and to the extreme that I'm sick isn't nearly so bad. I'll be back on my feet in a couple of days instead of down and out for a week or more.

I'm careful about the number of vaccinations I get, but the flu shot is not one I mess around with.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Steppe

Post by Steppe » November 6th, 2010, 7:58 am

The current flu is worth taking the risk of getting the shot for.
I never get vaccinations (ever) and I am very healthy, the M1A1 flu is potentially deadly.
I got extremely ill very quickly and had to be hospitalized with pneumonia and a pulse of 145 continuous last February.
For every rule there is an exception. This current flu is the exception to the rule. Without hospitalization I might have died.
It was my first overnight stay in the hospital ever. If you get this particular flu and experience extreme fatigue go to the hospital to be checked.
Supposedly people with native american ancestry are more at risk. Maybe that is what got me. I don't know. BUT IT SUCKED TOTALLY.

Lewis591

Post by Lewis591 » September 19th, 2012, 11:47 pm

Interesting news. the FDA has just approved a brand-new vaccine for 2012-2013, which helps to vaccinate three various flu strains. Six companies will be manufacturing the injections. Anybody that has health-related, or immune deficiencies, should check to see if they can get vaccinated as soon as possible.