the query letter blues

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
ted2112

the query letter blues

Post by ted2112 » December 7th, 2009, 6:59 pm

I finished my first Novel two years ago and started the query letter process. It takes several hours to research, and submit a query letter to an agent. Multiply this many times and reading that your "project has merit" but no thanks, leaves little time for eating, doing things away from your computer or just thinking about normal things in life. Sometimes I wonder about it all, but just then I get a request for sample chapters and I get to hope for a few more weeks before I read that "my project has merit" but no thanks!
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
-Kurt Vonnegut

J.Jessamyn

Re: the query letter blues

Post by J.Jessamyn » December 7th, 2009, 7:18 pm

I can relate, but not relate at the same time. I've only queried a couple agents, but both were rejections and they both took up a bunch of time with researching the agents. I'm not upset necessarily about the fact I was rejected both times, but that I'm going to have to seemingly waste much much much more time. Hearing "horror" stories about querying for all of eternity only makes the task even less appealing. *sigh*

But - and I'm saying this to myself, too - we've all gotta keep on truckin'. It's a necessary evil and will only make us that much happier when we see our writing on bookstore shelves (or available for download for an ereader, whatever).
~J. Jessamyn~

ted2112

Post by ted2112 » December 7th, 2009, 7:27 pm

Right on! It's like this funky sickness we have, we can't help ourself. I like your image of the bookstore shelf...or the virtual one!
I tell you, we are here on Earth to fart around, and don't let anybody tell you different.
-Kurt Vonnegut

Scott

Post by Scott » December 8th, 2009, 9:24 am

I've come to realize my latest query really didn't represent my book as well as it should have. It made the MS sound more plot-driven and genre schlocky when in fact the story is far more literary-minded and full of social commentary. Kind of self-conscious pulp with brains. Sadly, I only really became aware of this after my fifth or sixth edit. Good advice, maybe, to edit it to within an inch of its life before burning your bridges all over the literary world.