Fess up...who's a gamer?

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
AMSchilling

Re: Fess up...who's a gamer?

Post by AMSchilling » July 27th, 2010, 6:34 pm

Wow. Pong and D&D. Suddenly I don't feel so old. I had the TV console Pong. Ah, the hours spent turning a dial listening to "boop, bwop, boop, beep..." Then Nintendo came out with Frogger, and I met my nemisis. Never could get that stupid green blob across the road.

Won't fess up to my current games of choice tho. They all involve world-building in some regards, which I guess isn't a stretch for a writer, but they are also pretty dorky. Tropico I'll admit to. Playing as an evil dictator? Lots of fun to be had.

These days I've disconnected the game systems and uninstalled everything from my PC. I have a young daughter and between working full time, gaming, writing, and spending time with her I was getting no sleep. So now they're my treat when I finish a story I'm writing.
-Amy

"Write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open." - Stephen King

http://www.amschilling.com
http://www.facebook.com/pages/AM-Schill ... 9869525150

tchann

Post by tchann » July 28th, 2010, 10:05 am

When I was world-building for my WIP (fantasy novel), I had the idea of running a sort of prequel tabletop campaign in the world. I dug through the systems we had lying around (a full bookshelf in our apartment is devoted to roleplaying books) and decided on BESM. I went and came up with a list of specific modifications to the skill lists for my world, and then realized that I had to do some further work on the history of the world itself. I wrote down pages of information and drew maps that barely even get mentioned in the book itself, but now I know the world a lot better than I did when I first sat down to write.

Now one of these days I should actually run the game. >.>

Booger Kitty

Post by Booger Kitty » July 29th, 2010, 3:34 pm

I am a gamer and proud of it. I play World of Warcraft though currently I am taking a short break to focus on finding a job and writing. I even meet my boyfriend on WoW and moved out to Denver to be with him which was one of the craziest and best choices I ever made. Even when I back down from games there is always another one somewhere that I want to try. The ones I am looking forward to trying the most are Star Wars: The Old Republic, Guild Wars 2, and Cataclysm expansion for WoW. So many games to play, so many stores to write, and so little time.

Jaime

Post by Jaime » July 30th, 2010, 10:39 am

*Deeeeeeeeep breath*:

Giana Sisters, California Games, Yoshi's Island, Tomb Raider, Total Annihilation 1 & 2, Warcraft 2 & 3, Age of Empires 1-3, Turok, Turok Rage Wars, Mario Cart, Smash Bros., Goldeneye, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Harvest Moon, Call of Duty, Gears of War, Gears of War 2, Left 4 Dead, Banjo-Kazooie, Halo 1-3 (can't wait for Halo Reach), Hitman, The Sims 1-3, Theme Hospital, Civilization, aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaand Tetris.

*Sigh*

My husband is, as I write, at our weekly LAN party. We started 11 years ago, and we rotate between 3 households. Because we have a toddler, I only get to go to the ones at our house :( We started with about 5 players, and now have 10 regulars, and sometimes even up to 14. Much beer and pizza is consumed, and slander between rooms is rife :)

I guess you could call me a gamer??? ;)

Nick

Post by Nick » August 5th, 2010, 8:46 am

This may interest the Civilization fans.

Callum

Post by Callum » August 5th, 2010, 2:42 pm

This made my Nerd blood scream with glee!

Batman fans unite!
My Blog. Please follow!
Knock, Knock. Who's there? Me. I kill you.

Mira

Post by Mira » August 6th, 2010, 11:52 am

Nick wrote:This may interest the Civilization fans.
eeeeep.

I definitely need to quit my job and devote my life to playing games.

marilyn peake

Post by marilyn peake » August 16th, 2010, 11:43 pm

This summer, I became a gamer. Discovered that I love playing PORTAL and KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC.
Marilyn Peake

Novels: THE FISHERMAN’S SON TRILOGY and GODS IN THE MACHINE. Numerous short stories. Contributor to BOOK: THE SEQUEL. Editor of several additional books. Awards include Silver Award, 2007 ForeWord Magazine Book of the Year Awards.

fersnerfer

Post by fersnerfer » August 18th, 2010, 5:29 pm

My day job is playing video games for a living.

On the side I have a running EvE online account that I try to ignore so I can write. Lately I have been trying to distance myself from gaming just because I tend to obsess and it tends to take over. I've played WoW, EverQuest, Shadowbane among others.
-------------------------------------
http://marlanesque.wordpress.com/
Spoiler:
It turns out he really IS the killer!