World Cup!!!

Because that novel isn't going to delay itself
Bryan Russell/Ink

Re: World Cup!!!

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » June 18th, 2010, 4:28 pm

That was a horrible performance by England. So apathetic. It's like no one wanted to make a run off the ball. And I still hate their formation. Why do they keep trying to pair Heskey or Crouch with Rooney? Neither of those two is going to get it done. Bring on Carrick for the holding midfield role and allow Gerrard and Lampard to be the attacking midfielders they are, and then put speed out wide. Lennon and Joe Cole would be my picks, though Lennon still has to learn how to cross or center the ball. Rooney can do the work up front, but with Carrick holding and putting through passes both Gerrard and Lampard will be pushing right up to create chances. And Carragher's out next game (which could be a good thing, as he's been looking a step slow...) and put on Dawson. Not as much experience, but I like his game.

I hate to admit it, though, but it looks like England's letting the pressure get to them as much as anything. It looks like they've all tightened up.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 18th, 2010, 7:17 pm

I think the problem is athleticism - they've just looked incredibly slow out there against both USA and Algeria. Those players my get away with it individually in the Premiership when they're surrounded by other players, but collectively against two speedy teams in US and Algeria that lack of pace shows. Algeria was running circles around England's midfield. No one in the middle can get to balls.

Oh - except for Lennon, though I agree he's not much good on the wing if he can't play the ball in.

Sheila Grau

Post by Sheila Grau » June 18th, 2010, 8:14 pm

I'm so sad for the US squad, they deserved a win. Funny that even after the match they couldn't get an explanation about what the ref had called. I don't remember seeing such blatant arm-tackling on free kicks. You expect to see a shirt pull, but those guys were full on hugging their marks!

I'm looking forward to England-Slovenia. I have a feeling England will pick it up. Maybe just wishful thinking, though.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » June 18th, 2010, 8:48 pm

I agree about the athleticism for England, and that's one of the reasons I don't like the lineup or the formation. You put big slow guys like Crouch or Heskey up there everything bogs down. You can hit long balls to them, but no one else on the English team really plays that game. And you put your veterans Lampard and Gerrard in the middle by themselves... well, you force them to cover way more ground and track back all the time, which isn't really the strength of either one of those guys, particularly Lampard. Put a young guy like Carrick behind them and they don't have to do that. Plus he's great at hitting the through ball. Then put youth and speed out wide, and you still have Rooney's speed up front. Suddenly you have width and pace. And Carragher's out, but he was looking really slow today. Put the young guy Dawson in. And maybe switch out Glen Johnson? He's good in attack, but he was horrible defensively. Seemed like a chicken looking for his head, running in little circles and wondering where his man is. Um, Glen? He's dribbling the ball. Towards the net.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 18th, 2010, 9:24 pm

Yeah, England is almost cursed in that Lampard and Gerrard are two of the best midfielders in the world and you can't really leave one of them off, but because they're slow and have such similar strengths and weaknesses, together they make for a surprisingly ineffective middle. I like your idea of bringing in some more speed behind them, or possibly Defoe could make some more things happen and drop back as needed. Though at this point England's weakness is America's gain, so I gotta hope they don't figure it out in time for Slovenia.

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » June 18th, 2010, 11:07 pm

Bryan, did I mention that I am furious with you? You had promised to inform me once a World Cup thread got started over here since I've been too busy to come back as often as I'd like.

I'm only kidding, of course, but I will admit to being a little disappointed for being so late to the party. What could be more fun than getting together with Nathan to talk smack to you? Speaking of which NB has Bryan admitted to you that he picked England to take it all in our bracket pool (I know, I selected Italy; forgetting that they only win every twelve years)?

I do agree that USA got robbed but after England drew with Algeria we're still sitting rather pretty. I really think that what we need is a proper nickname. France has Le Bleu. Italy has the Azzurri. I'm just not sure that The Yanks is cutting it for us.

I was worried about Spain, Germany, Brazil and Paraguay at first, but right now Argentina is looking more energized than most. Thankfully it's the cup and anything can happen (except for France making it out of the group stage now, thank goodness).

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » June 18th, 2010, 11:15 pm

BTW, I hate to point this out but does anyone else suspect that recent US foreign policy has negatively affected our success in international sport? Softball getting tossed from the Olympics anyone?

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » June 18th, 2010, 11:16 pm

And now, according to Sportscenter, that Ref is going to be sanctioned by FIFA and withheld from refereeing any further matches in the tournament. That is all.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » June 18th, 2010, 11:37 pm

Two words: instant replays. The cameras are already rolling, and there are multiple cameras to show the play from multiple angles. If the ref had a good view or if the foul has a fairly minor consequence (like losing possession or a free kick for the other team) the instant replay can be foregone, but any instance in which a goal or a penalty shot is at stake calls for an automatic consultation with the cameras. These types of instances don't occur that often, so any time they take can be added at the end; there's no need to stop play.

Refs aren't gods; it's time they stopped acting as if they are.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » June 18th, 2010, 11:50 pm

LEGO videos in the Guardian: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA! Most excellent.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » June 19th, 2010, 6:46 am

Matt,

Ha! Actually, this wasn't the thread I was planning. I had another idea, and still might use it for the round of 16...

And England is still going to win it. As soon as they start listening to me.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » June 19th, 2010, 11:28 am

Call them, Ink. They have to wake up and win their next game. I'll be sad if England goes.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » June 19th, 2010, 9:39 pm

Bryan Russell/Ink wrote:Matt,

Ha! Actually, this wasn't the thread I was planning. I had another idea, and still might use it for the round of 16...

And England is still going to win it. As soon as they start listening to me.
We'll see. Maybe they should bring Michael Owen back, hell he's still younger than we are.

Matthew MacNish

Post by Matthew MacNish » June 20th, 2010, 11:54 am

Oh lord. I never should have run my mouth. Now Italy has drawn with the Kiwis and the group is wide open. We're looking worse than your Brits Bryan. At least all the powers have been frustrated so far as well. Hopefully Drogba and Ivory Coast can hold Brazil this afternoon. That would certainly make things interesting.

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » June 20th, 2010, 4:40 pm

Wow, another horribly officiated game - first Fabiano with the double-hand ball on the goal, then the ref keeping the cards in his pocket as things got chippy, and then a horrible send-off of Kaka. Yikes.