Self-Publishing Con?

News, trends, and the future of publishing
Nathan Bransford

Re: Self-Publishing Con?

Post by Nathan Bransford » March 4th, 2012, 9:15 pm

There's no replacement for doing your research. Learn the important players, learn the business, learn from other success stories, learn learn learn!

Here's one place to start in terms of whether to self-publish: http://blog.nathanbransford.com/2010/03 ... tions.html

Mira

Post by Mira » March 5th, 2012, 3:21 pm

I agree with Nathan! I also think that an Ad in a local paper is abit of a "red flag" situation for me. Usually an independent press would be abit more selective.

Also, self-publishing is not the same as going with a small press. Self-publishing is more of a do-it-yourself kind of thing, where you publish to Kindle or the Nook or something like that. I would definitely do more research about this before you put your art into the world - you want to consider all your options - there are alot of them!

Also, you might browse through some of the self-publishing threads here. Alot of folks here are pioneering some new ways to put their work out there.

Quill

Post by Quill » March 5th, 2012, 4:14 pm

What does the ad say?

SylviaB

Post by SylviaB » April 20th, 2012, 5:59 pm

I have to agree with everyone here. This sounds fishy. I'm no expert, but wouldn't you want to publish with a discerning company? This sounds like the old, "writing contest" scam - send them your poem and $15 and you're guaranteed to get published in a book. The hitch is that everyone gets published. Proceed with caution.

MissPineapple

Post by MissPineapple » July 29th, 2013, 10:37 am

I think there are undoubtedly some dodgy self -publishers out there but there are some really reputable ones out there too. If you think self publishing is the way to go with your book you should do some research and see what you think of the business before you give them the money. A reputable self-publisher will not post adverts like the one the OP saw, and will be all too happy to help and answer questions.