Huck Finn Gets Some Changes

News, trends, and the future of publishing
stephmcgee

Re: Huck Finn Gets Some Changes

Post by stephmcgee » January 6th, 2011, 9:04 pm

I could barely get through Huck Finn, but that doesn't mean I agree with the censoring of it.

It just didn't grab me. But everyone deserves freedom of speech, even those gone before whose words live on.

Emily J

Post by Emily J » January 6th, 2011, 10:50 pm

Doubleplusungood! Censorship is really the enemy of art. And although this news is certainly disheartening, I can't say it's really surprising.

But is it just me or did anyone else think of that Family Guy episode. "Please hand me the oar n-word Jim." :)

Moni12

Post by Moni12 » January 7th, 2011, 5:17 pm

I feel the same way about censoring songs on the radio, like "the poor groom's bride is a ssh", we all know she's a whore and also that every rockstar "has a drug dealer on speed dial". Not to mention, if they're going to censor Huck Finn they should get to work on a lot of other songs. I'm sure we've all heard plenty that use the "n" word. I think censoring it in this particular book is like a poor attempt to erase a large part of our history. It's like when Farenhiet 451 was banned, but look what we learn from it? I haven't read Huck Finn in a while, but I don't think the "n" word is used in it as much as an insult like it is today.