The Top 10 Things All Authors Should Know About Amazon

News, trends, and the future of publishing
longknife

The Top 10 Things All Authors Should Know About Amazon

Post by longknife » March 1st, 2015, 2:34 pm

The first one caught me by surprise – Your Amazon rating has nothing to do with sales. Really? Reading it was an inspiration.

Amazon reviews carry weight.

CreateSpace uses Ingram's services – I didn't even know anything about Ingram. And it IS a service you have to pay for!

Claim your book via Author Central – this I knew about!

A very good article @ http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brooke-wa ... 44386.html
Drop by Father Serra's Legacy http://msgdaleday.blogspot.com. Comments always eagerly awaited - but only if you find the item interesting enough to respond to.

polymath

Re: The Top 10 Things All Authors Should Know About Amazon

Post by polymath » March 2nd, 2015, 7:29 pm

Ingram is a print distribution company, the U.S. print distribution industry leader, as a matter of fact. Ingram deals in volume sales to brick-and-mortar bookstore middleman distributors, to library markets, and institutional outlets, like university bookstores. However, brick-and-mortar bookstore culture believes Amazon and online booksellers generally are the enemy of their businesses. So any product with a CreateSpace, for example, or similar ISBN identifier, will be summarily ignored by brick-and-mortar bookstores.

Worth note also that Ingram executives founded Amazon and CreateSpace and Xlibris.

Amazon reviews only carry weight with me if they realize a product's artistic and dramatic appeals, actually, negative reviews carry more weight with me than vanity reviews: astroturf, artificial sod laid by individuals interested in a product's successful marketing and oblivious to the product's appeals.

Amazon's rating algorithms I've known have little bearing on popular appeal metrics, rather on scaled number of appearances a product has placement for; how popular a product is based upon a seller's demonstrated commitment and expense expended that enhances Amazon's revenue stream, actually.
Spread the love of written word.

GregoryDiehl

Re: The Top 10 Things All Authors Should Know About Amazon

Post by GregoryDiehl » March 11th, 2016, 8:56 am

How does this apply to audiobooks?