What are you reading now?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Crystal

Re: What are you reading now?

Post by Crystal » December 25th, 2009, 1:10 am

I am reading a few books.

1 is Deck the Hall by Marry and Carol Higgins Clark
2 is The Second Coming by Max Lucado
3 is The Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (My daughter is reading this series and I got hooked)
Working my very first attempt at a mystery novel. 1st draft

Jaime

Post by Jaime » December 25th, 2009, 7:19 pm

The Outlander Series, by Diana Gabaldon.

The first three books only took me a couple of days each, but I've found the 4th one less gripping (up to page 780 with hundreds left to go!). But, I'll slog through, considering my mother just bought me the fifth book, The Fiery Cross, for Christmas. I've heard that each book is as good as the last, so maybe there will be a twist at around page 1000 which will pull me back in :P

A La Vanille

Post by A La Vanille » December 26th, 2009, 3:53 pm

I'm reading Crime and Punishment.
The other book I was supposed to be reading bored me, I even forgot the title so I can't post it here.

Bryan Russell/Ink

Post by Bryan Russell/Ink » December 26th, 2009, 4:13 pm

The Lazarus Project, by Aleksandar Hemon. Great so far, though still early on.
The Alchemy of Writing at www.alchemyofwriting.blogspot.com

trini

Post by trini » December 28th, 2009, 8:05 pm

I just finished Brad Meltzer's Book of Fate, which was a rollicking good read. I am now half way through Cross Bones by Kathy Reichs. I am enjoying it immensely. I got The Book Thief for Christmas and it is next on the pile beside my bed.
"It was a dark and stormy nightmare..."

WIP: Graphic Novel...sex, death and rock and roll.

tabwriter

Post by tabwriter » December 28th, 2009, 11:07 pm

I recently finished Flash Burnout by L.K. Madigan and Numbers by Rachel Ward. Just picked up All Unquiet Things by Anna Jarzab.

kristi

Post by kristi » December 29th, 2009, 1:59 pm

Just finished Hush, Hush (loved it) and am reading The Heretic's Daughter. Next up is Wake.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » December 29th, 2009, 2:53 pm

kristi wrote:Just finished Hush, Hush (loved it) and am reading The Heretic's Daughter. Next up is Wake.
No way! I just finished Hush, Hush yesterday! (I also loved it) That's funny.

CV

BransfordGroupie

Post by BransfordGroupie » December 29th, 2009, 4:32 pm

CharleeVale wrote:
kristi wrote:Just finished Hush, Hush (loved it) and am reading The Heretic's Daughter. Next up is Wake.

CV
Ok, so this may already be common knowledge, but... did you know... that Nathan and Becca Fitzpatrick (Hush Hush) share the same agent (Catherine Drayton of InkWell Management)? Just a little trivia for ya.
REVELATION: The Book of Angel - First draft complete :-)
Facebook

kristi

Post by kristi » December 29th, 2009, 4:39 pm

BransfordGroupie wrote:
CharleeVale wrote:

CV
Ok, so this may already be common knowledge, but... did you know... that Nathan and Becca Fitzpatrick (Hush Hush) share the same agent (Catherine Drayton of InkWell Management)? Just a little trivia for ya.
I did know that as I'm currently obsessed w/ agents - she also reps Markus Zusak (The Book Thief).

Nathan Bransford

Post by Nathan Bransford » December 30th, 2009, 2:32 pm

BransfordGroupie wrote:
CharleeVale wrote:

CV
We do! I'm very lucky to be working with Catherine.

robena grant

Post by robena grant » December 30th, 2009, 3:08 pm

I'm halfway through Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet, by Jamie Ford. It's a tender story of fathers and sons, of family loyalty, sacrifice, love, war, and prejudice, and so beautifully written I almost don't want it to end.

RiayNight

Post by RiayNight » December 30th, 2009, 4:04 pm

Currently, in the time that I'm not editing my manuscript, I'm slowly making my way through THROUGH BLACK SPRUCE by Joesph Boyden, a Canadian author. I'm taking a course on Canadian literature next semester, so I'm attempting to get ahead on the reading material before the semester actually starts, haha.

He has a style of writing that gravitates between poetic and casual--by that I mean his descriptions are often poetic, but his characters are rough natives of the Northern Canadian wilderness, so their way of speaking is a tad "country". It's still a really great novel though!

I personally find it a little distracting to read too many books when I'm really trying to focus on writing--mostly because I don't want to be overly influenced by another writer's style. Anyone else feel the same?

trini

Post by trini » December 30th, 2009, 5:36 pm

RiayNight wrote: I personally find it a little distracting to read too many books when I'm really trying to focus on writing--mostly because I don't want to be overly influenced by another writer's style. Anyone else feel the same?
Yes, distracting and sometimes intimidating.
"It was a dark and stormy nightmare..."

WIP: Graphic Novel...sex, death and rock and roll.

RiayNight

Post by RiayNight » December 30th, 2009, 6:49 pm

Haha, Trini! Intimidating for sure.

Personally, I've only been rereading my favorites lately, save for Through Black Spruce. I find that rereading my favorites doesn't interfere with my writing style, but instead kind of gives me new ideas to bounce off of. I'll look at a description they wrote, and think about how I would have written it--that helps me see how many different ways there are of doing things when it comes to writing.

I just find that I don't have the time right now to fully commit to a new plot. With my old favorites, I can just focus on how those authors do things vs the way I do things. Also, i'm always on the lookout for new and creative metaphors to describe places or feelings, and sometimes if another author has a really original one it will spark an idea of my own--a new idea that is of course, haha. No plagiarizing, I promise. :)