What would I need?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
motivacionenlinea

What would I need?

Post by motivacionenlinea » September 20th, 2013, 2:47 pm

Hello,

I want to fund and sell the audio version of a book. The book was originally written in English; and writer translated it to Spanish. So the print book on Spanish already exists. I was told by the English version authors, to contact the Spanish version author to request a license for an audiobook version.

I am afraid that if I make the question, the author will be prompted to do it himself, and I want to know how can I publish this audiobook by myself.

I have thought about producing the audiobook, paying for the studio, the reader, all of the digital material. Then, once the book is produced, approach the Spanish author and ask for the license. And if the author says NO, can I sell a non-licensed or non-authorized version? What may the consequences be?

Thank you

AnmaNatsu

Re: What would I need?

Post by AnmaNatsu » September 20th, 2013, 3:02 pm

motivacionenlinea wrote:Hello,

I want to fund and sell the audio version of a book. The book was originally written in English; and writer translated it to Spanish. So the print book on Spanish already exists. I was told by the English version authors, to contact the Spanish version author to request a license for an audiobook version.

I am afraid that if I make the question, the author will be prompted to do it himself, and I want to know how can I publish this audiobook by myself.

I have thought about producing the audiobook, paying for the studio, the reader, all of the digital material. Then, once the book is produced, approach the Spanish author and ask for the license. And if the author says NO, can I sell a non-licensed or non-authorized version? What may the consequences be?

Thank you
Are you in the US or another country? Here, in the US it's illegal (federal crime) and the author can sue you for any profits as well as damages. He can also pretty much destroy your reputation online by spreading the word - these days it doesn't take much. Of course, you can also be arrested and jailed - something that is on the rise these days. Particularly as you have publicly announced your intention to do so. No legitimate distribution site will list an illegal version either. It's also considered immoral and heavily frowned upon, so honest buyers will either not buy or demand a refund if they find out you made a copy without permission.

If you want to do an audio version and it isn't public domain, don't waste your money doing it first. Contact the copyright holder and get permission. If it prompts them to do an audio book themselves, then so be it. It is THEIR work so that is their right. Would you want someone stealing your work? They may very well already be working on an audio version, which would them cause you even more trouble, or they may simply not want to have one made. Or they may agree and give you a license. But if they say no, please respect it and look for something else to work on.
Writer of love stories and host of "The Lackadaisical Writer" podcast
Debut novel, Aisuru, coming in 2014!
Official Website: http://anmanatsu.com

motivacionenlinea

Post by motivacionenlinea » September 22nd, 2013, 7:34 pm

AnmaNatsu,

Thank you for your reply. I am in the US, but am I originally from Mexico. I thought of this scenario because in Mexico I have seen books labeled "Unauthorized Translation," or "Unauthorized Version," and maybe other types of unauthorized, but in short, labels that clearly imply that somebody who should have authorized did not. I am not sure who, because I have no knowledge of the publishing industry. As I thought of this scenario, it has never been my intention to deprive the author from his/her royalties, but rather, as I mentioned on my original question, to ensure I get licensed to do the audio version.

The reason I asked my original question is because I will only do what is acceptable within the law in the US, and as I mentioned at the opening of this response, I am under the impression that this would be LEGAL in Mexico.

Your response is emotionally loaded, and although I almost go for a knee reaction response, I prefer to clarify that I would have valued your response much more if you simply listed the consequences.

AnmaNatsu

Post by AnmaNatsu » September 23rd, 2013, 12:45 am

Ah, that does clarify. :-) I didn't mean to sound accusatory; sadly there are many who would have no problem violating the law.

For the unauthorized items you are seeing in Mexico, I have heard in various forums and seem some articles that suggest that copyright infringement is a rampant issue there and one that is rarely handled or prosecuted. Infringement that crosses international borders is much harder to deal with, which is another reason it is often ignored. From what I read of Mexico's copyright law, however, it is still illegal just not policed much.
Writer of love stories and host of "The Lackadaisical Writer" podcast
Debut novel, Aisuru, coming in 2014!
Official Website: http://anmanatsu.com