Les Mis

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Beethovenfan

Les Mis

Post by Beethovenfan » September 24th, 2012, 10:34 am

Most of you have probably heard that a new movie of Les Mis is coming this December. Some friends of mine have decided to read the book before the movie comes out. I don't know about any of you, but a book of this magnitude - what is it, 1400 pages? - is a little bit daunting!

So, what do you all think? Should I go for the original version, or should I go with an abridged? Has anyone out there read a good abridged edition? I'm doubtful I can get through it all before the book club meeting, but then, I've never read it. And, if I'm going to take this book on, I don't want to miss anything fantastic - I mean, it is one of the great works of literature.

Any advice from you learned literary folk is greatly appreciated. ;)
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

klbritt

Re: Les Mis

Post by klbritt » September 24th, 2012, 12:36 pm

I've never read it, but have been in love with the characters and music since I was 14 (so nearly 20 years - yikes!). It's a book I've always wanted to read, so maybe I'll pick it up at the library today when I go. I'd say go for the original version even though it's quite hefty. Good luck!

I'm not sure how I feel about this new movie coming out - especially with Anne Hathaway as Fantine and the guy who plays Marius...maybe I'll be won over when it comes out.
~Kristie

-: Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read - Groucho Marx :-

http://www.BKRivers.blogspot.com

Amanda Elizabeth

Post by Amanda Elizabeth » September 24th, 2012, 6:03 pm

I grew up going to broadway shows so I've seen in three times over the past two decades. In college I had to read part of the book -- the original one -- for a French project (comparing the translations). The length is daunting yes, but the writing in general was hard for me to get through and never finished it beyond what the project required me to read. The ebook is either free or a dollar on amazon or bn.com and you should be able to read some of it in preview before you buy a hard copy.

Honestly, Anne Hathaway looked legit in the trailer and the girl has lungs. It's Amanda Seyfried I'm not keen on.

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » September 25th, 2012, 11:50 am

Thanks for the comments so far. I'm still waffling between the original version and an abridged. My husband read the abridged and says he didn't feel "cheated" in any way. But then I think, "How do you know, you haven't read the original!" *sigh*
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » September 25th, 2012, 1:42 pm

So I don't know how much help I'm going to be. I haven't read Les Mis, but I have read the cut version of The Stand by Stephen King and thought it was awesome. I thought it was so awesome I read the complete and uncut version (which is about big enough to stop a bullet.) I wish I'd left it at the abridged version because the unabridged version was sooooo slooooow and boring. I almost didn't make it. So I don't necessarily think the abridged versions are necessarily a bad thing.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

MAP

Post by MAP » September 26th, 2012, 12:58 am

I read the unabridged version of Les Mis. The book was amazing, so much deeper than the musical which I also loved. Really it was one of the best books I've ever read in my life. So read it. :)

Honestly, I think you should read the abridged. There are long passages in the book that are purely philosophical. I remember at least a chapter on Waterloo and one on convents which didn't add anything to the story line, so I don't think you will miss much by reading an abridge version. But the story is truly amazing.

Good luck. :)

Beethovenfan

Post by Beethovenfan » September 26th, 2012, 12:04 pm

Thanks guys. Yeah, I'm leaning toward the abridged if for no other reason than I'm certain I won't finish in time. But now I won't feel too guilty over it!
~ Ludwig van Beethoven