HELP ME!!!

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Hillsy

HELP ME!!!

Post by Hillsy » August 16th, 2012, 11:00 am

GAHH!!!

Readin a book at the moment where there's a twist in the plot where one brother steals the identity of another, but uses the confusion to lead a more altruistic life than either of them had before hand......

....Thing is this feels like it's been done before. Like a criminal comes out of prison and is mistaken for a priest, or a twin kills his wife beating brother, but takes his brothers place....that sort of plot.

But I can't for the life of me think of any book or film or TV show I've seen where it happens. And it's driving me nuts!

Any ideas?

MattLarkin

Re: HELP ME!!!

Post by MattLarkin » August 16th, 2012, 11:24 am

Are you reading Brent Weeks, Hillsy?

I'm not aware of the twist in the exact same way he did it, though mistaken identity or identity stealing is not a new idea. Man In the Iron Mask, for example.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » August 16th, 2012, 11:28 am

Yep - rolled my eyes and thought "Heard that a dozen times before"....then promptly couldn't remember a single one!

MAP

Post by MAP » August 16th, 2012, 11:56 am

In Lost, Mr. Eko is dressed as a priest to do a drug run on a small airplane. His brother, who is a priest, comes to warn him that the police or military are on their way to arrest him. His brother gets shot and dies, and Mr. Eko takes his place as a priest.

Could that be what you are thinking of?

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 16th, 2012, 12:28 pm

My first thought was the movie Face/Off - John Travolta and Nicholas Cage switch faces and chase each other around the other person's life. While not strictly following the format you laid out, there are a lot of similiar elements there.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 16th, 2012, 1:07 pm

It's not an exact match up, but it did remind me of Les Miserables. There's no brother in the mix though.

I also thought of Lost's Mr. Eko
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

MAP

Post by MAP » August 16th, 2012, 1:21 pm

There is also The Ringer. The series on WB staring Sarah Michelle Gellar. I haven't seen it, but from what I understand the bad twin takes the good twin's identity only to find out that the good twin really isn't that good.

Hillsy

Post by Hillsy » August 17th, 2012, 4:45 am

I definately watched the early series of lost, and I remember Mr Eko now, so it could well be that....I've not seen the Ringer, but I know the premise.

I think it might have been the plot of a CSI episode at one point because I've got something lodged in my head about a man shacking up with his brother's wife in order to be a better man......either that or I'm suffering from some strange vitamin difficiency where I'm generating whole plotlines as a byproduct of some chemical imbalance or other.

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 20th, 2012, 9:16 am

I wouldn't obsess (yeah, I know, coming from me...) about it. It's the rare idea that's never been done before. Most great stories are not blindingly original (if they were, they might be hard to love), but rather the whole package fits together beautifully. The voice of the writer, the personality of the characters, the specifics of the plot, they all combine to create something new, even if pieces of it are similar to things that have gone before.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage