Pottermore?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Mira

Pottermore?

Post by Mira » April 25th, 2012, 1:57 pm

So, have any of you checked out Pottermore?

Here's the link, if you haven't and are interested:

http://www.pottermore.com/

I thought it was a really interesting concept. I suspect we'll see more of these types of things - interactive sites based on really popular books. But I had some problems with it.

Here's the basic idea of it. It takes you through each chapter of the book with about three different pictures and some quotes from the book. At the end of each chapter, there may be some extra material from J.K. Rowling, which is mostly backstory. There's a whole blurb on Professor McGonnagal's childhood, for example.

In some chapters, you participate in order to advance to the next section. You must shop for your school supplies, you answer some questions and are chosen by a wand, and you are sorted into a house.

Once you're in your house, you can chat with the community, participate in duels, go shopping, etc.

It's a fun concept, but I had a couple of problems:

a. The interface is clunky. The background is very dark, and the layout is confusing.
b. The instructions are minimal, and it can be really easy to get stuck, not know how to do something or where to go next.
c. There are no options to skip anything.
d. You can't choose another wand or get into another house. I liked my wand, but I was chosen by Slytherin. Slytherin! Can you imagine! :p

So, I imagine it will be popular, because the books are so popular, but I also think it's an example of an interactive interface that could be improved.

Since this is the first time anything like this has ever been done (that I'm aware of) I just throught it was interesting to see what they conceptualized. Should be interesting to see how this type of thing goes in the future.

MattLarkin

Re: Pottermore?

Post by MattLarkin » April 26th, 2012, 8:01 am

I used it to buy the books for my Kindle. I don't imagine I'd go back again, given that I bought them as a set. Which is part of the problem with the whole separate retailer thing--unlike Amazon, many of your customers only visit once.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » April 30th, 2012, 8:20 am

I didn't get very far into the process. I got my email letting me know I could go in and sign up, but every time I went in I was told later later later. I haven't been put in a house yet. Honestly I haven't checked in a week or more though, either. I think the concept is interesting, but I don't like the prechosen names, of which I will never, ever remember. I think the site is pretty and neat but I think it will appeal to a different demographic. Which is very interesting, I think, because I'm a huge fan and was pretty excited about Pottermore at first. Isn't it interesting that I wouldn't be the target demographic?
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » May 1st, 2012, 2:02 pm

OK, I admit I went there expecting nothing. I wanted to do the Sorting, out of curiosity, because there's a running gag that I am Slytherin (apparently not, but I'll remain one in my heart).

And yes, it is very VERY long until you get Sorted and get access to potions and spells, which is a big disadvantage. They should've kept it separate.

However, I found the added information into the Making Of of Harry Potter to be very interesting. Some of it is hilarious, some of it is enlightening, some of it is plain genius. And some is boring, too, but that's to be expected too, no? The point is that, as I writer, I loved the inside look into the creation of the series, and the explanations about the worldbuilding.

And I agree with Sommer. The pre-chosen names are a pain. Thank god you can nickname your friends.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla