Unplanned theme

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites

Unplanned theme

Postby Beethovenfan » 11 Dec 2011, 13:51

It's weird, but I somehow have had a theme going on lately that has been completely unplanned. I have been reading stuff about race relations in the United States, particularly in the South. I just finished reading THE HELP, and 2 weeks ago I finished reading TO KILL A MOCKINGBIRD. Even some of my movie selections have been about race relations - I also recently watched THE BLIND SIDE. I didn't mean for it happen, but that's how it turned out.

It's been kinda good though, because they each have lent themselves to teaching me certain things that I needed to know in order to understand some things in the next book or movie. For example, In THE HELP, it talks about the protagonist, Skeeter, coming home from Ole Miss. I would never have known what that was if I hadn't already watched THE BLIND side, where Big Mike ends up going to play football. Weird how things happen like that.

Anyone else have those unplanned but awesome themes happen?
"Don't only practice your art, but force your way into its secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine."
~ Ludwig van Beethoven
Beethovenfan

Re: Unplanned theme

Postby mudpuppy » 12 Dec 2011, 09:18

I guess that kind of happens to me. I just got finished reading The Alchemist (long story short, I did not enjoy this book and if you like your books with a mixture of both active male and female characters you won't either) and Their Eyes were watching God for my English 150 class. Both of these books touch on the theme of chosing between wanting your own personal dreams and what is expected of you by society.

Their Eyes were watching God goes into a bit more deeper into this theme than The Alchemist, because it goes into detail about how the need to get what you want and to please society can be affect by your age, your gender, or your race (it was written in the 1930s, I think, so some of content may come off as offense to the modern reader). However, after having time to reflect on both of these books, I find that I am now more interested in books that explore this theme. Even my writing seems to be affect by it just a bit.

Sorry if it seems like I'm rambling, but I just wanted to give my two cents.
mudpuppy

Re: Unplanned theme

Postby Mira » 12 Dec 2011, 15:08

Interesting question.

I don't know if I've experienced themes exactly, but I have definitely had books 'speak' to whatever life lesson I'm grappling with right then. It can be uncanny how a book may give me the exact perspective that I need.
Mira

Return to All Things Books