Cover Art Opinions Wanted

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Steph.s

Cover Art Opinions Wanted

Post by Steph.s » August 14th, 2011, 12:55 pm

Hi everyone! I've been working on cover art a little this weekend for my urban fantasy, Voodoo Dues and I'm looking for opinions.

Image Image

The version on the left is the cover that I'm currently using. My concerns are that it's too washed out/bland looking. Nothing stands out at thumbnail size. The cover on the right is the new version that I've been playing with.

Your opinions, thoughts or comments are greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

MattLarkin

Re: Cover Art Opinions Wanted

Post by MattLarkin » August 14th, 2011, 2:17 pm

I like the one on the left a lot more. Not really a fan of cartoony covers. And if the book is about voodoo, I think the dark washed out look is fine.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Doug Pardee

Post by Doug Pardee » August 14th, 2011, 7:02 pm

I prefer the new one. The old one is too busy, and with that washed-out look it takes some effort to figure out what's what. I never did figure out what the geometric thingie is in the top part. The new one can be grasped in an instant.

Steph.s

Post by Steph.s » August 14th, 2011, 10:33 pm

Thanks for the input. :-)

Doug - The graphic on the top is a veve or the symbol of a loa, but if it requires an explanation, it probably shouldn't be there anyway.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 15th, 2011, 8:59 am

I love the old cover, but I can see how it would not make a good thumbnail, for the reasons listed. It's still beautiful (and I actually posted about it for wednesday!)

I ALSO love the new cover. I'm a huge fan of silhouettes on covers, so you're speaking my language. I like the colors very much, but there seems to be something a little off with the weight of the bottom. I can't decide if "a Lian and Figg novella" is too big or if I'm not crazy about the font or the color. It's a small thing and I can't even put my finger on what exactly. I love the rest of it though. How does it look in thumbnail?
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

MattLarkin

Post by MattLarkin » August 15th, 2011, 9:05 am

Steph.s wrote:Thanks for the input. :-)

Doug - The graphic on the top is a veve or the symbol of a loa, but if it requires an explanation, it probably shouldn't be there anyway.
I don't know, I think the loa symbol adds a lot of flavor and mystery based on the subject matter. It is not common knowledge, for certain, but that doesn't mean you should never it.
mattlarkin.net
larkinediting.com - freelance editing for fantasy and science fiction
ImageImageImage

Steph.s

Post by Steph.s » August 15th, 2011, 12:47 pm

Here they are thumbnail sized

Image Image

Part of me thinks that this may be new author jitters, but I really do want the best and most widely appealing cover I can get.

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » August 15th, 2011, 12:57 pm

Steph.s wrote:Here they are thumbnail sized

Image Image

Part of me thinks that this may be new author jitters, but I really do want the best and most widely appealing cover I can get.
Seeing them in thumbnail size, I have two reactions:

1) The first cover is still really gorgeous and not hard to see at all.
2) The second cover is different and I like it, but the smoke at the bottom makes it hard to read the title in thumbnail size (though it wasn't hard in bigger size.)

So really, I could go either way. I do think, however, that the second cover tells me more about what the book is about at first glance.

You could always have your cake and eat it too. Go with the first cover for a while and then try the new one. Like hardback and paperback versions :-) They are both really beautiful. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Steph.s

Post by Steph.s » August 15th, 2011, 1:10 pm

Well, I can't say I'm any closer to making a decision. Almost all the feedback I've gotten is evenly split.

Sommer - You're right though, it doesn't have to be an either/or type of situation. :-)

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » August 15th, 2011, 1:24 pm

I think both covers are nice - much better than a lot of other non-professional covers out there!

I really like the woman on the bottom of the first one. The glasses and the gun pointed almost toward the reader is very, very good. But I like the overall impression of the second one better. It gives me more of an ominous, supernatural feel rather than the "bad chick" vibe of the first. If I were cruising around for a new supernatural read, I'd be more drawn to the second one.
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Steph.s

Post by Steph.s » August 15th, 2011, 2:42 pm

dios4vida wrote:I think both covers are nice - much better than a lot of other non-professional covers out there!
Thanks, I'm not sure if you'd call me a professional or not, I have a graphics background but it wasn't in cover art design. :-)