Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Margo

Re: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Post by Margo » February 4th, 2011, 6:53 pm

polymath wrote:however, the subtle differences between men's language and women's language survive into early adulthood and beyond. The field of literature is populated by differences in gendered voice.
Haven't read Potter but this is innnnnnnteresting. We must chat, polymath. I suggest a polymath post to begin a discussion on gendered voice.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

bcomet

Re: Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Post by bcomet » February 23rd, 2011, 4:09 pm

So, just finished reading TOOTP after revisiting The Goblet of Fire first and this time, I loved it!

So here's the thing: the dialogue tags, adjectives and adverbs really got in the way, especially when The Story hadn't grabbed me (again) yet.
And, in TOOTP, the dark mood was a downer, because, starting to read from that point, The Story hadn't grabbed me yet.

But once I went back (GOF) to where The Story grabbed me, none of that mattered (at least not as much) because I had to go on that ride.

At least the above is my experience. And now I'm so hooked, I am going to reread all of the other HP books again now too. WaHoooo!