History Longshot

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Steppe

Re: History Longshot

Post by Steppe » December 4th, 2010, 9:32 am

I'm a huge bible fan.
I first had a children's illustrated bible with just the coolest selection of the key dramatic stories. It was awesome literature.
I read the full bible from a different perspective with Jesus being the only person serving god and the rest playing at it like Monopoly.
I am a native american raised by christian nuns and except for occasionally pulling my ears for pulling on girls pony tails, they were very kind to me.
I've read every American presidents biography, doubled and trebled for the modern presidents and their opposing acolytes in the opinion bias schools.
Thankfully I was forced to read all the classics by said nun's and was encouraged/forced to read; "The Rise And Fall of The Third Reich" when ten years old
because of my addiction to the old COMBAT television show with Vic Morrow. They also took me to the Plymouth Plantation where Chief Massasoit's character
explained to me that he welcomed the Pilgrims because his tribe was decimated by a bacteria infection and was a afraid the Narragansett tribe from Rhode Island would try to capitalize on his lack of warriors to defend his territory. When I asked out loud about the white man giving the indians small pox on purpose he never blinked an eye and said with droll effect "We traded the white man syphilis for small pox it was a fair trade." The nuns giggled but I didn't get the joke.
James Michener wrote a lot of historic based fiction that I found quite engaging, but also helped me to break my one main character crutch-addiction to enjoying narrative.

I'm writing a experimental work where Jesus is a bounty hunter time-traveler who is able to convince Enoch-Bob Dylan to knock off telling Almighty how to run the great game of life. Unfortunately he can't convince John The Divine to chill so that character reincarnates as John Lennon and gets popped by his fellow Time Mafia cohorts afraid he'll pull off his Revolution No. 9 bid to sabotage Almighty. Jimi Hendrix is dual character as Moses and a benign character (Bailey)living two lives, one as a musician and one looking (keeping an eye out) after an incarnated version of the Holy Ghost as a little boy who can create or dismantle anything by spoken or written command but spends most of his time enjoying being a little boy, until discovered by the government and forced to exit the daily world. His body is then maned by Jesus until a great crisis in 1979. The part of Jesus coming down from a cloud is there except he is traveling backwards in time as "The Son of Man" to rescue the Holy Ghost and serve as a shield and sword of fire until the body reaches 1979.

"The son of man shall come as a thief in the night and no-one shall know of his arrival"

It is an awesome story.
I've been told it shall never get published.
Every query has brought a partial or full manuscript request.
I'm finishing the final stages of a the third volume 343,000 words so far vol-123.
Book one and two are finished. If your a holy ghost christian maybe you would consider critiquing it.
The main character is here to repair the Zero Point Engines that maintain linear time.
Lord - God - Almighty are treated a three distinctive functions of the Holy of Holies (one supreme infinite one) beyond creation borders/event horizon.
Satan is treated as Jesus's body guard who has failed to protect Jesus and is crestfallen based on the original fourty days of negotiations they spent in
the desert before Jesus began his Mission. "Get yea behind me Satan.)
Most people overlook or negatively dramatise Satans relationship to the three fold Lord-God-Almighty function-person assignments.
The devil satan lucifer functions are performed by three young boys who are eternal manifestations of creations three Zero Point Engines

IPhaseVols1-3.pdf

https://sites.google.com/site/intraphase/documents

If ever you have time give it a go and let me know what resonates with you and what offends you theologically.
I would be happy to critique anything you need critiqued in return.

Character map.
Quantum Worldlines

Zero/Pierce
-----8----19--------25
Buddha-Jesus-King Artorius
Lennon-Dylan-Jimi Hendrix

44-55
Son of Man - Chief Massasoit.
Traveling in The Native who found
Two Directions The Zero Point Engines in 1616AD

sbs_mjc1

Post by sbs_mjc1 » December 4th, 2010, 5:05 pm

I think ancient history is very interesting, but I'm definitely more a student of modern history, particularly the Caribbean, Japan and Europe. My academic work is focused on 18th and 19th century Scotland.
But I always love learning more!
http://sb-writingtheother.blogspot.com/
FORGOTTEN GODS is out September 17th 2011! Check the blog for details.

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 4th, 2010, 5:14 pm

sbs_mjc1 wrote:I think ancient history is very interesting, but I'm definitely more a student of modern history, particularly the Caribbean, Japan and Europe. My academic work is focused on 18th and 19th century Scotland.
But I always love learning more!

I agree with you there! Those are all fascinating subjects. My interests tend to fluctuate between ancient and modern.

Steppe, I'd like to take a crack at your book. It sounds strangely fascinating.

IsabelIbanez

Post by IsabelIbanez » December 16th, 2010, 3:57 pm

Hello!

Titles strewn all around my house:
The Year 1000
The Story of Britain
Every book Alison Weir has ever written.
1215 The Year of the Magna Carta

I picked up Cicero, I'll be reading that over christmas break. Pretty excited. Please let me know if you have any other recommendations. I'm looking for an awesome read on the following: American revolutionary heroes, the French revolution and anything on Russian history. Rasputin might be one of my all time favorite villains of history.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 16th, 2010, 4:16 pm

IsabelIbanez wrote:Hello!

Titles strewn all around my house:
The Year 1000
The Story of Britain
Every book Alison Weir has ever written.
1215 The Year of the Magna Carta

I picked up Cicero, I'll be reading that over christmas break. Pretty excited. Please let me know if you have any other recommendations. I'm looking for an awesome read on the following: American revolutionary heroes, the French revolution and anything on Russian history. Rasputin might be one of my all time favorite villains of history.
I'm going to out myself (in case it's not obvious at this point) as a Constitutional conservative and recommend a biography series put out by the National Center for Constitutional Studies called The American Classic Series:
THE REAL THOMAS JEFFERSON
THE REAL BENJAMIN FRANKLIN
THE REAL GEORGE WASHINGTON

these are legit biographies that do their best to highlight the ideals of the Revolution and present their subjects at their best (and worst) without crossing the line into overly patriotic myth-building. They do of course address many of the errors codified by both sides of the ongoing debates. IMHO they deserve the same consideration as Howard Zen's work (Yes, I read THE PEOPLES HISTORY . . .).

siebendach

Post by siebendach » December 28th, 2010, 8:35 pm

Cookie wrote:I have a book titled 'How the Irish Saved Civilization.' I haven't cracked into it yet, but it is on the shelf waiting for me.
I enjoyed that very much. It's referring solely to what we often call "western civilization", but I suppose we couldn't very well expect the Irish to "save" say, Polynesian civilization.

I particularly enjoyed David Howarth's book about the Norman Conquest --- I think it was entitled "1066"

Cookie

Post by Cookie » December 28th, 2010, 9:05 pm

siebendach wrote:I particularly enjoyed David Howarth's book about the Norman Conquest --- I think it was entitled "1066"
I may have to look into that one.

Watcher55

Post by Watcher55 » December 29th, 2010, 12:41 pm

I'm not Catholic (anymore) but I just finished one of those adult Sunday school discussion books published by Paulist Press. THE JEWS IN THE TIME OF JESUS by Stephen M. Wylen.

Walkin' in the door you know there are going to be spiritual messages but consider this; Wylen is a Rabbi in Jersey and the book helps to define the relationships of Jews and Christians by examining the spiritual debates, hatreds and moral judgments that usually fill any discussion in which Jews and Christians are mentioned in the same breath, and puts them in their broader contexts without passing moral judgment.

He did an excellent job of restoring the players to their historical and social contexts by exposing the various forms of invective and self-aggrandizement then discussing the implications of what history has to teach us about them.

It's a good overview for any one who's curious but doesn't want to spend a lifetime on the subject.

Down the well

Post by Down the well » December 30th, 2010, 1:29 pm

Cookie wrote:
siebendach wrote:I particularly enjoyed David Howarth's book about the Norman Conquest --- I think it was entitled "1066"
I may have to look into that one.

Another book I would recommend is 1066 -- The Hidden History In The Bayeux Tapestry by Andrew Bridgeford. Wonderful, elegant prose, and his conclusions are pretty amazing as well.