Trend: the acknowledgments page

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
Sommer Leigh

Re: Trend: the acknowledgments page

Post by Sommer Leigh » July 22nd, 2010, 8:56 am

I've read people not liking prologues, epilogues, flashbacks, and dream sequences, but I think this might be the first time I've heard of someone not liking the acknowledgements page. Unlike other sections of the book, it's totally optional.

Personally I waffle between reading and ignoring. It depends on the author, I think. Like, if I read the acknowledgements page for a Maureen Johnson book, I know it's going to leave me in stitches. If I really, really enjoyed the book, I usually check the acknowledgements page. Maybe it's because I'm just not ready to close the book yet.

There is one person who rarely gets any love in the acknowledgements page that I wish did and that's the cover artist/designer. There are so many books whose covers just blow me away, and yet tracking down the name of the designer becomes quest-like. Where's the love?
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Ishta

Post by Ishta » July 22nd, 2010, 10:10 am

Sommer - too true! The cover artist never gets mentioned anywhere, except sometime on the author's personal blog to say, "I just got a look at the cover for my new book and boy, is it awesome!" Or something to that effect. Still, there's usually no name. Talk about being underappreciated.

Polenth

Post by Polenth » July 25th, 2010, 8:56 am

Ishta wrote:Sommer - too true! The cover artist never gets mentioned anywhere, except sometime on the author's personal blog to say, "I just got a look at the cover for my new book and boy, is it awesome!" Or something to that effect. Still, there's usually no name. Talk about being underappreciated.
The risk would be the cover changing between editions, or between when the acknowledgement gets written and when it gets published. Some books have last minute cover changes.

Credit on blogs wouldn't have those issues though. It's odd not to mention the artist if you know who it is.
Polenth
* Nothing * Blog * Twitter * Facebook *

Ishta

Post by Ishta » July 25th, 2010, 11:34 am

Ah, yes, that makes sense, Polenth. I guess the author could change the acknowledgments page if there is a cover change, but that's more work for everybody.

I personally hate cover changes. I understand the need to update the look of a book to keep up with the times, but I almost invariably prefer the original. There's my resistance to change poking through again.

Margo

Post by Margo » July 26th, 2010, 11:30 am

Editors, agents, publicists, and artists put a great deal of work into a book. I've read blogs wherein agents and editors have confessed to some hurt feelings after busting their butts pitching a new author, pushing the project at meetings where the project has to compete for limited publication spots, wrangling the best cover possible, etc...only to be forgotten when it came time for the acknowledgements page. It's just good manners, in my opinion, to thank them in the book they helped put on the shelf, and it is actually (as mentioned earlier) pretty handy for others who would like to know who did such a great (or awful) job with the editing or the art.

I have never been bothered by the acknowledgments page, and I do read it. Some of them are even interesting, hinting at the writer's journey getting into print. Some are funny, others inspiring. Heck, some verge on flash fiction.

I've never heard of anyone not buying a book because of the page before, but whatever floats your boat. There are too many books out there to read in a lifetime, so if that's your prefered method for weeding out some of your choices... whatever.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

Margo

Post by Margo » July 26th, 2010, 11:32 am

AnimaDictio wrote:That does it. Steve is going in my acknowledgments page. Front and center. With the added note "(because I know it would piss him off.)" Hee hee.
You have an evil streak. I approve.
Urban fantasy, epic fantasy, and hot Norse elves. http://margolerwill.blogspot.com/

johndavid

Post by johndavid » July 28th, 2010, 12:05 am

I don't think that page is really for the 'reader'. It is a chance to thank, for all the world to see, everyone that made the book a reality.

My mommy and daddy taught me a long time ago to say 'thank you' when someone does something nice for me.

I look at it this way...If I LIKE a book I should want to thank those people as well. Without the help they gave the author I may never have had a chance to read it!

steve

Post by steve » July 28th, 2010, 12:29 am

johndavid wrote: My mommy and daddy taught me a long time ago to say 'thank you' when someone does something nice for me.
John, I don't know an easy way to tell you this...but...you're adopted!!!
Read one of the best stories by Borges.

johndavid

Post by johndavid » July 28th, 2010, 12:44 am

steve, do you know my sister? She tells me that all the time!!!

Ok...if it makes you happy...the people that adopted me told me to say 'thank you' when people were nice to me.

BTW, THANK YOU for telling me I was adopted!

One of the Mad Ones

Post by One of the Mad Ones » July 28th, 2010, 5:07 pm

Interesting. What's your take on author pictures?

Rough Draft Writer

Post by Rough Draft Writer » July 29th, 2010, 7:44 pm

I've never stopped to consider whether I did or did not like the acknowledgments page. I do like the occasions when an author injects his/her personality into it and I come away with a laugh. I'm more invested in spending hundreds of pages getting to know the author's characters, but I admit to enjoying those few seconds of feeling as if I'm getting to know the author.

As others have said - I think authors deserve a section to thank whoever has helped them along the way. It doesn't affect my feelings for the story.

bonniewest

Post by bonniewest » July 30th, 2010, 10:47 am

I LOVE the acknowledgments page....or pages! ALWAYS read them when I have finished a book. Always like to learn personal things about the author. AND of course..if ever acknowledged.. as in Robin Black's wonderful book "If I Loved You I Would Tell You This..." (a little plug for her!) I am thrilled.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » July 30th, 2010, 12:58 pm

I know I already posted that I like the acknowledgment pages, but until this post I never realized that there were books that didn't have them! But I just found one. I never really thought that they were an optional thing.

CV

Anne Fox

Post by Anne Fox » July 30th, 2010, 1:49 pm

I believe in thanking those who have helped along the way. And because I'm a copyeditor and too often considered invisible, I appreciate acknowledgment.

areswhy

Post by areswhy » July 30th, 2010, 1:55 pm

The books I have written were created with the generous help of others. I felt it was important to publicly acknowledge their contributions. Not to have done so would seem arrogant and self-serving.