Funniest book you've read?

Recommendations, discussions, and odes to your favorites
ink spills

Re: Funniest book you've read?

Post by ink spills » May 6th, 2010, 12:58 pm

My favorite funny book of all time is Catch-22 by Heller. If you haven't read it yet, definitely check it out. hehehee.....

killALLyourdarlings

Post by killALLyourdarlings » May 6th, 2010, 2:07 pm

My Brother Was An Only Child by Jack Douglas

Others:
Mark Twain's Life on the Mississippi
Bill Bryson's books
Catch 22, though funny, was too close to reality

JustineDell

Post by JustineDell » May 6th, 2010, 9:55 pm

JustineDell wrote:Hmm....the Twilight books? Kidding. The Twilight parody book on the otherhand Nightlite...is freaking hilarious. To me anyway. Everyone who read Twilight should read it, just for the commical value. If you haven't read Twilight, you might not get the humor. If you didn't like Twilight, then you should REALLY read Nightlite.

~JD
Okay, I totally spelled Nighlight wrong before. My bad. Heehee. S

http://www.justine-dell.blogspot.com/

"Three things in life that, once gone, never return; Time, Words, & Opportunity"

maybegenius

Post by maybegenius » May 9th, 2010, 1:45 am

Quinnykins wrote:Christopher Moore's book Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ`s Childhood Pal - Hilarious and everyone should read it. I bought the collectors edition which is bound in leather with gold page trim to look like a bible. As a Catholic I had to laugh at the ideas and thoughts that were put through in this story. Wonderfully well written.
I always cite this one as one of my favorite funny books. It's very rare for a book to make me literally laugh out loud, but this one does the trick every time.
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

HillaryJ

Post by HillaryJ » May 10th, 2010, 10:47 pm

maybegenius wrote:
Quinnykins wrote:Christopher Moore's book Lamb: The Gospel According to Biff, Christ`s Childhood Pal - Hilarious and everyone should read it. I bought the collectors edition which is bound in leather with gold page trim to look like a bible. As a Catholic I had to laugh at the ideas and thoughts that were put through in this story. Wonderfully well written.
I always cite this one as one of my favorite funny books. It's very rare for a book to make me literally laugh out loud, but this one does the trick every time.
I concur with both of you on this. Lamb is really funny, AND has the great plot, good character development etc. necesssary to go the distance.

Hitchhiker's Guide... is great, too. I started a book called Apathy and Other Small Victories, and laughed aloud repeatedly, but ended up not finishing it. The humor carried me a ways through, but the plot/characters weren't quite enough to hold my interest all the way to the end. Is it odd that I wouldn't care about the characters in a book called Apathy?
Blog http://www.hillaryjacques.blogspot.com
Twitter http://www.twitter.com/hillaryjacques
CARNIEPUNK - http://books.simonandschuster.com/Carni ... 1476714158
as Regan Summers - The Night Runner series from Carina Press

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 12th, 2010, 9:57 pm

I JUST finished Saving Francesca by Melina Marchetta and I have never laughed so hard when reading a book. My husband made me go into the basement to read so that he could sleep. It's a YA but I think that any age, girl or boy, could easily relate to the characters and the conversations in this book. It's about a girl in Australia who has to switch schools for 11th and 12th year because her all girls catholic school doesn't cover those grades. She goes to Saint Sebastian, an all boys school recently opened up to girls. So 30 girls embark on the first co-ed year with hundreds of boys who are gross, rude, offensive, defensive, clever, intense, hostile, misogynistic, clueless about girls, and did I mention gross? There's a lot of potty mouth-lite language from the boys who mainly do it to rile the "chicks" up, and it's just seamless. Some of the book is quite sad, and most of it has nothing to do with romance (and what little romance shows up is complicated, hysterical, and decidedly unromantic most of the time).

Sorry, I'm rambling. I'm just so in love with this book I want to make everyone read it.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Transitoria

Post by Transitoria » May 14th, 2010, 5:55 pm

The funniest book I've read is LAMB by Christopher Moore. I buy extra copies whenever I find one and pass it along to people who need a laugh. It's the untold story of Christ's childhood and teen years by his 13th Apostle and childhood friend, Biff.

Read the first page. It's a hoot!

Daryl_Blonder

Post by Daryl_Blonder » May 24th, 2010, 7:15 pm

"Baghdad Without a Map" by Tony Horwitz. It's the story of a journalist's misadventures in the Middle East right before the First Gulf War. Funny, enlightening, and a real insight into Middle Eastern life in modern times.

dios4vida

Post by dios4vida » May 27th, 2010, 2:18 pm

Daryl_Blonder wrote:"Baghdad Without a Map" by Tony Horwitz. It's the story of a journalist's misadventures in the Middle East right before the First Gulf War. Funny, enlightening, and a real insight into Middle Eastern life in modern times.
Allah wanted it dead. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

One of the Mad Ones

Post by One of the Mad Ones » July 14th, 2010, 1:54 am

Most of Lorrie Moore's short stories, particularly from her collection SELF-HELP, as well as her novel ANAGRAMS.

On a more romantic comedy/chic lit side, I recommend Caprice Crane's STUPID AND CONTAGIOUS or FORGET ABOUT IT.

steve

Post by steve » July 14th, 2010, 12:47 pm

Read one of the best stories by Borges.

PaulWoodlin

Post by PaulWoodlin » July 18th, 2010, 8:34 am

Terry Pratchett's Small Gods is my favorite funny novel. It appeals to the irreligious in me. It's a stand alone without his regular cast of characters.

Runner up is Don Quixote, but it's also a rather cruel, sad book if you think about it too much. I've read a series of lectures by Nabokov about Don Quixote, and he argues that people have been laughing and crying about the wrong things concerning it for centuries.

PaulWoodlin

Post by PaulWoodlin » July 18th, 2010, 8:37 am

Oh, sorry, third place goes to the Princess Dairies and Princess Bride. I had the embaressing experience of reading Princess Dairies in public and laughing my ass off. I'm not sure if this made better or worse by reading it in a cafe that catered to banned word, anarchists, and eco-feminists or not.

One of the Mad Ones

Post by One of the Mad Ones » July 19th, 2010, 1:12 pm

PaulWoodlin wrote:I've read a series of lectures by Nabokov about Don Quixote, and he argues that people have been laughing and crying about the wrong things concerning it for centuries.
I would love to read those lectures. I'm a big fan of Nabokov.

rjkeller

Post by rjkeller » July 19th, 2010, 1:56 pm

Anything by P.G. Wodehouse, but I particularly love Code of the Woosters. ("It is impossible to be unhappy while reading the adventures of Jeeves and Wooster. And I've tried." -Christopher Buckley)
"Literature is all, or mostly, about sex." - Anthony Burgess