How did you think of your blog name?

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
Mira

How did you think of your blog name?

Post by Mira » November 22nd, 2011, 3:24 pm

I'm inching up to starting my blog, and I'm having a terrible time picking a name. It's sort of driving me nuts!!! I've thought of alot of names, but I can't quite settle on anything.

How did you pick the name of your blog? I'm curious about other people's process...maybe I can copy what you did! :)

Sommer Leigh

Re: How did you think of your blog name?

Post by Sommer Leigh » November 22nd, 2011, 6:39 pm

Tell Great Stories was my email first and I don't know when exactly or how exactly I came up with it. It was just the first thing that came to me?

But over the last year, Tell Great Stories has started to kind of fall away. It's not my domain name, that's www.sommerleigh.com so Tell Great Stories is just sort of secondary to my domain. And this is just my personal taste, but I'm starting to lean more to liking blogs that are straight forward with the name of the blogger and a little tag line to explain the blog rather than clever, witty, or whimsical blog names. I think it's because I've gotten to know so many bloggers that I don't think of their blog as their blog name, I think of it as the blogger's name. Like, I read Claudie's blog, not "A Novel Experiment." I read Matthew MacNish's blog, not "The Quintessentially Questionable Query Experiment." I read Margo's blog, not "Unsafe Haven." That's just me though, and I am not so sure everyone is like that.

I suspect that eventually I'll drop "Tell Great Stories" to just a tag line and "Sommer Leigh" will just be the name of the blog.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

Mira

Post by Mira » November 23rd, 2011, 10:28 pm

Sommer, I appreciate the input. You may be right. Simple may be best. And really, when I think of a blog, I usually think of "so and so's" blog, not the name of the blog. But...naming something after myself.....I'm just alittle shy for that....I sort of want to hide behind a name.

But maybe I won't.......

What about "wicked and tricksy?" See, I think that name is pretty cool. There is a part of me that somehow wants to capture the essense of the blog in a name...but it's hard to know what the essense is until I have the blog! :)

Maybe I'll name it: "I can't think of a good name for this blog".

That has a ring to it...

KinkyKenley

Post by KinkyKenley » November 24th, 2011, 3:50 am

I think the best name should be short, bright, interesting and catchy. I am currently preparing to start my own so I haven't made up my mind completely on what the name of it should be.

Mira

Post by Mira » November 26th, 2011, 12:28 pm

"short, bright, interesting and catchy"

Good thoughts, Kinky - thanks! Let me know what your name is when you come up with it! I'm curious. :)

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » November 27th, 2011, 1:07 pm

Back when I first started my blog, it was 'Musings of a burned-out college student,' because that's what I was.

Now it's just my name, because branding is important. :)

CV

Mira

Post by Mira » November 27th, 2011, 3:06 pm

"Musings of a burnt-out college student" has a ring to it. :)

But Branding! I forgot about that. That's good way to look at it. Thanks Charlee! :)

I think I'm heading that direction. I was reluctant...but with all the different names I've come up with, the one that's growing on me is the one with mira in it. That's a pretty good sign that it feels right...

Who knew that finding a name would be such a trial and tribulation???

Claudie

Post by Claudie » November 28th, 2011, 12:25 pm

It's funny, because I went the other way from Sommer's evolution. I used to have only my name as a blog name. It really works. You don't need more than that if you want to keep it simple, easy to remember, and if you want google searches for you leading straight there.

When I changed names to The Novel Experiment, it's because a) I was moving to another blog, b) I wanted to put more science in my posts (I'd need to post more for that, though XD Darn you, NaNoWriMo + Insane Semester), and c) develop a mad science theme for the background, header and widgets (something Sommer did wonder for!)

It took quite a while before I found something, too. I wanted to add writing and science together, so I played with the associated vocab until I found something satisfying (I'm not in complete love with it yet, but it's growing on me). The subtitle "Mixing Character and Plot into Chemical Stories" is more or less an explanation/play with the ongoing concept.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Mira

Post by Mira » November 28th, 2011, 9:57 pm

Claudie, thanks! I appreciate what you are saying and it made me think more about branding. Some people want to brand their name, while others prefer to brand their book, or their topic, or their approach. Of both.

That's cool, and I also like the idea of a sub-title. I get good ideas from you folks! :)

Btw, I love the "mixing character and plot into chemical stories" concept. That is very cool.

CharleeVale

Post by CharleeVale » November 28th, 2011, 11:36 pm

True. You definitely need to think about WHAT you're branding.

It effects the set-up of your blog a lot, because of the graphics.

CV

maybegenius

Post by maybegenius » December 2nd, 2011, 2:09 am

True story: in college, my friend and I were thinking up fake band names for fun. "Maybe Genius" was one of my made-up band names.

Years later, it's what I named my blog. It just seemed to fit the idea I was trying to convey at the time -- that I was an aspiring author who might have something to offer, but it wasn't verified yet. It also matches my fairly sarcastic sense of humor ;) It's like the tongue-in-cheek implication that I might be SUPER AWESOME, but I don't come right out and say it. Because that would be big-headed and stuff.
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

Claudie

Post by Claudie » December 6th, 2011, 12:02 am

Mira wrote:Btw, I love the "mixing character and plot into chemical stories" concept. That is very cool.
Thank you! :) I have to admit I rather love it.
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

Skellie

Post by Skellie » December 14th, 2011, 7:13 am

My blog is called Passive Income Author, because I write content that I hope will help authors earn passive income from their books. Not very creative, but I think it works OK :).

My favorite blog name in that vein is DailyBlogTips. It's a blog that posts daily tips about blogging. Go figure! ;)
Passive Income Author - helping you earn a full-time income as a self-published author.

wordranger

Post by wordranger » December 17th, 2011, 12:22 am

I'd definitely go with your name. It's about branding, remember. You can always have something catchy after your name in the title, which you can change on a whim, but YOUR NAME is what they should remember.

Good luck, and welcome to the crazy world of blogging!
Words are your friend.
Don't be afraid to lose yourself in them.

Jennifer Eaton, WordRanger
My Novelette LAST WINTER RED will be published by J. Taylor Publishing in December, 2012

Take a Step into My World and Learn From My Mistakes http://www.jennifermeaton.com/

Mira

Post by Mira » December 19th, 2011, 5:39 pm

Thanks, Wordranger. :)