Great Teen Lit Writing Community

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
tjwell01

Great Teen Lit Writing Community

Post by tjwell01 » July 7th, 2011, 1:10 pm

If you're an aspiring teen writer or are really into YA fiction, I strongly recommend checking out InkPop.com. It's run by Harper Collins and the user base is super interactive, but the best part is real HPC editors are reviewing your work which means your scribbles could get published if its good enough. It's fiction, non-fiction and poetry--everything goes and the features are slick.

I work for the site, full confession, so if you have questions, hit me up.

Rachel Ventura

Re: Great Teen Lit Writing Community

Post by Rachel Ventura » September 30th, 2011, 2:26 am

Thanks for the recommendation, tjwell01. Looks like a great site. Just a couple questions, though...

It seems like this is a version of Harper Collins' Authonomy but focused on YA. I've heard a LOT of horror stories about Authonomy in that it's not really a "critique" site per se or a way of getting your Great American Novel directly in the hands of a major publisher, with an experienced group of beta readers, but rather very political in who makes it to the front page (a matter of linking, posting, giving out free cupcakes, etc.). I've heard that the works on the "front page" are really NOT ready for prime time but get there anyway due to shameless self-promotion, almost to the point of spam-vertising, and that Authonomy's reputation might almost make the respected Harper Collins imprint seem like *gasp* a "vanity press." :| Can you comment on this point?

And from what I understand, like Amazon's Breakthrough Writer contest, these are all ebooks, no print versions. Kind of a hybrid between self-pubbing through Create Space or Lulu but with the backing of a more established traditional publisher's name. I probably sound old before my time, but can you comment on if this is true, i.e. do the books on Authonomy/InkPop ever make it to print (literally in print), or are they distributed in digital format only?

Not to criticize or anything, because you're right, it's a well-designed site and it does look like a lot of fun. :D