Blogger & HTML

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
jazzlovesnoodles

Blogger & HTML

Post by jazzlovesnoodles » May 23rd, 2011, 2:09 pm

Just wondering - is there some reason why copying and pasting into the 'compose' box from a word processor causes Blogger to add totally unnecessary HTML throughout the text? Just finished a new post and when I pasted it in it came out in various sizes and there were <span> tags everywhere - even in the middle of words. Plus extra gaps between the paragraphs for some reason. Any way to prevent this without having to type directly into the 'compose' box?Or does that not work either?

Sommer Leigh

Re: Blogger & HTML

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 23rd, 2011, 4:11 pm

Unfortunately, blogger doesn't like copying and pasting from word processing programs. There is no way around this. It is better to type directly into the compose box, but if if you don't want to do that, the only thing you can do is paste it into the compose box, highlight, and then click the "Remove Formatting" button - it looks like a black T with a little red X. Also, the less formatting you do to the text - no bolding, italics, underlinging, tabs, etc - the easier it will be. You will have to add all the formatting in after you paste into the compose box.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

jazzlovesnoodles

Post by jazzlovesnoodles » May 23rd, 2011, 4:14 pm

Thanks - really wondered what was going on there.

longknife

Post by longknife » May 24th, 2011, 12:15 pm

My question is - how on earth do you come up with html coding???? I can't find any way to do the sideways V things and some of the other stuff. Is there a html editor per se?

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 24th, 2011, 1:03 pm

lvcabbie wrote:My question is - how on earth do you come up with html coding???? I can't find any way to do the sideways V things and some of the other stuff. Is there a html editor per se?
No there isn't an editor for it. I just kind of learn as I go along. I'll be like "I need to change the size of this font, how do I do it?" then I look up the code for it and then I always know it is <font size=n> </font> with "n" being the size. I just built my knowledge that way. I can't do a lot of really cool, but complicated stuff though.

The sideways Vs are from holding the shift key for the comma and period buttons. They are just the greater than and less than signs.

longknife

Post by longknife » May 25th, 2011, 2:19 pm

Showing my ignorance - where on earth do you find </font and > on the keyboard????? {Using Vista}

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 25th, 2011, 2:28 pm

lvcabbie wrote:Showing my ignorance - where on earth do you find </font and > on the keyboard????? {Using Vista}
They should be on the same keys as the period and comma, accessed by holding the shift key. the < is on the comma key and the > is on the period key.

I suppose different keyboards might have them set up a little differently.

Claudie

Post by Claudie » May 25th, 2011, 3:58 pm

Sommer Leigh wrote:
lvcabbie wrote:Showing my ignorance - where on earth do you find </font and > on the keyboard????? {Using Vista}
They should be on the same keys as the period and comma, accessed by holding the shift key. the < is on the comma key and the > is on the period key.

I suppose different keyboards might have them set up a little differently.
Indeed, different keyboards put them in completely different places. There's 3-4 different set-up possible here in Quebec, so it's always a mess to find what you need, especially less common symbols like these. //end rant on keyboard

Mine are on their own key, next to the Enter. Changing to another set up, they are behind the comma and period, but with alt+ctrl. I believe I have seen them behind the French « » so I doubt you'll see that. ;)
"I do not think there is any thrill [...] like that felt by the inventor as he sees some creation of the brain unfolding to success... Such emotions make a man forget food, sleep, friends, love, everything." -- Nikola Tesla

longknife

Post by longknife » May 26th, 2011, 11:31 am

I feel so stupd!!!!!

right in front of my nose and I didn't see them!!!!!

Sommer Leigh

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 26th, 2011, 11:38 am

Don't feel stupid :-) How often does anyone use those keys on a regular basis? Probably not very.

hektorkarl

Post by hektorkarl » May 26th, 2011, 11:44 am

lvcabbie wrote:I feel so stupd!!!!!
We all have moments like that. Just look at it as yet another thing you've learned!

longknife

Post by longknife » May 27th, 2011, 2:00 pm

Every single day, something new!