Would this be an appropriate blog?

Blogs, Facebook, Twitter, and promoting your book on the Internet
Falls Apart

Would this be an appropriate blog?

Post by Falls Apart » May 11th, 2011, 9:14 pm

So, I've had an blog idea for a while. Basically, I'd take books, movies, TV shows, etc., and review it in the form of a brief analysis of their treatment of gender, race, religion, sexual orientation, etc. However, I've heard that it's considered unprofessional for authors to review books. Although I'm unpublished now, I hope to be someday, and I was wondering--would this have a negative effect? And also--would this type of website interest you? Or does it only sound cool to me because I'm a femi-nerd? :) Thanks for your advice!

Sommer Leigh

Re: Would this be an appropriate blog?

Post by Sommer Leigh » May 12th, 2011, 8:11 am

1. I think this is an awesome idea for a blog. I'd read it. I think giving people a deeper understanding of themes and ideas at work inside a story is an excellent idea.

2. I am sort of on the fence on the whole should I or shouldn't I review something on my blog. I tend to just not review things I don't like, which is fine because I'm more interested in promoting things I love than reviewing anyway. At the same time, I think the writing and reading community can only benefit from a deeper analysis beyond "This book is a 2 star" "This book is a 5 star" type of review.

3. If you are worried about the whole review thing, concentrate your posts on analysis rather than making judgement calls of this book is bad, this book is good. That sounds like what you're more interested in anyway.

4. I'd read it. All of the women's lit classes I took in college would thank you for it.
May the word counts be ever in your favor. http://www.sommerleigh.com
Be nice, or I get out the Tesla cannon.

trixie

Post by trixie » May 12th, 2011, 12:07 pm

I agree with Sommer. If you're going to analyze the content in a rational and thoughtful way, then excellent. Your opinions will be greatly appreciated, regardless of whether or not you liked or didn't like it. But if you're blog is point out you didn't like something and THEN follow up with perhaps biased reasons why not, then maybe that's different and should be handled more carefully.

Overall, I think the majority understands no one will like everything we create and it's okay to have a discussion about the reasons why as opposed to just saying you didn't like it. If there's something you didn't like, tell us why, point out the flaws and the stereotypes, but in a constructive manner.

Not sure if that helps, but those are my thoughts. Overall, I think a blog like this has a lot of promise!

hektorkarl

Post by hektorkarl » May 12th, 2011, 12:14 pm

A lot of reviewers are also book authors, so it's not inherently unprofessional.

It might brew some ill feelings among those to whom you give negative reviews or those who don't share your ideological perspective, but it might also help acquire readers, especially if your review site relates in some way to your fiction.

Views on this also seem to differ depending on genre. I'd think the risks would be less in something like non-fiction or literary fiction than in YA.

maybegenius

Post by maybegenius » May 12th, 2011, 4:27 pm

It's a great idea for a blog, but be aware that there are a few similar blogs out there already, so you'll have some competition. But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do it! You'll have competition for just about any blog you could think of, anyway, so go for it :)

Most people will respect your reviews if you are respectful and don't take cheap shots or put value judgements on the book, its audience, or the author. Even so, you can expect some pushback from people who disagree with your analysis, especially if you're reviewing popular literature. Reading a book through an analytical lens almost always opens you up to folks who pull the "you're taking this WAY too seriously, it's just a fun book, you're being too PC, it's not a racially problematic viewpoint because XYZ, etc." cards. If you're up for those people coming out of the woodwork and possibly even trolling you, then I think you're good to go, heh.

Good luck!
aka S.E. Sinkhorn, or Steph

My Blog | My Twitter | YA!Flash Tumblr

Represented by Michelle Andelman of Regal Literary

dgaughran

Post by dgaughran » May 13th, 2011, 8:32 am

I think you have the bones of a good idea there.

And don't forget, if you are not enjoying it, or it's not working, you can always stop. No big deal.

If you are really worried about alienating readers or coming across as unprofessional, you could always blog under a pseudonym, and reveal your true identity at a later point, if you so chose.

Dave
Image   Image Image   Image <---NEW RELEASE!!!
Download the FREE PDF version at my blog: Let's Get Digital

Falls Apart

Post by Falls Apart » May 13th, 2011, 4:46 pm

Thanks for the advice :) I think I will start it, although it might be a while until I have time.

dgaughran

Post by dgaughran » May 14th, 2011, 7:38 am

You can always sketch out a few ideas for posts before you begin, that way you could start with a bang.
Image   Image Image   Image <---NEW RELEASE!!!
Download the FREE PDF version at my blog: Let's Get Digital