Location of story: UK. Writing Style: American. Am I doomed?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
priya g.

Location of story: UK. Writing Style: American. Am I doomed?

Post by priya g. » August 11th, 2013, 4:07 am

Hi Nathan

Back on this forum after a while with a new story and so happy! You are still as helpful as ever- I know countless writers thank you!

Just a quick question:

My story is based in London- the location does not play an integral part until close to the end of the plot. However, my writing style is very, let us say... American. I am more exposed to American writing, phrases and words as opposed to British series, books, etc.

Will this be a problem for me?

I have read reviews of a few books on Amazon where readers have thrashed authors for trying to cross-over rather very unsuccessfully.I am not so sure what to do at this point. I am still writing the story, so would you advice switching the location to America?

Also, who would I send the query letters to? An agent in the U.S. or one in the U.K.?

Thanks a lot!

Priya G.

Nathan Bransford

Re: Location of story: UK. Writing Style: American. Am I doomed?

Post by Nathan Bransford » August 24th, 2013, 7:17 pm

priya g. wrote:Hi Nathan

Back on this forum after a while with a new story and so happy! You are still as helpful as ever- I know countless writers thank you!

Just a quick question:

My story is based in London- the location does not play an integral part until close to the end of the plot. However, my writing style is very, let us say... American. I am more exposed to American writing, phrases and words as opposed to British series, books, etc.

Will this be a problem for me?

I have read reviews of a few books on Amazon where readers have thrashed authors for trying to cross-over rather very unsuccessfully.I am not so sure what to do at this point. I am still writing the story, so would you advice switching the location to America?

Also, who would I send the query letters to? An agent in the U.S. or one in the U.K.?

Thanks a lot!

Priya G.
This is a hard thing to answer in advance, and I think a general principle is that you never know how people will react. But if your novel has more of an American style to it then I'd imagine US agents are going to be the ones you have better luck with, wherever the setting is.

Sorry for the delay in responding!