Only query one project at a time

Questions for the resident (former) agent
jacquipirl

Only query one project at a time

Post by jacquipirl » July 20th, 2013, 6:44 am

Aloha Nathan!

I know the rules: Only query agents for one project at a time. Only query one agent at each agency.

Are there any exceptions to this rule?

For instance: You have sent out queries to several agents for a finished novel and are awaiting replies (which can take months) and some newsworthy or timely event has happened that would create interest on a different finished book you have written in a different genre that corresponds with the timely event?

As an example: You sent out queries for a finished YA novel and while you're awaiting replies, an international spy ring is discovered and that news is not only over the internet and news outlets, but the story is remarkably similar to an espionage novel that you were finishing up and the timing feels right to send out queries for this project now. But you have queries out for the YA novel.

Different books in different genres. Chances are, there are different agents interested in these projects. Can you ever query two projects at once?

How would that exception work?

Any advice on this topic?

Nathan Bransford

Re: Only query one project at a time

Post by Nathan Bransford » July 29th, 2013, 10:44 pm

jacquipirl wrote:Aloha Nathan!

I know the rules: Only query agents for one project at a time. Only query one agent at each agency.

Are there any exceptions to this rule?

For instance: You have sent out queries to several agents for a finished novel and are awaiting replies (which can take months) and some newsworthy or timely event has happened that would create interest on a different finished book you have written in a different genre that corresponds with the timely event?

As an example: You sent out queries for a finished YA novel and while you're awaiting replies, an international spy ring is discovered and that news is not only over the internet and news outlets, but the story is remarkably similar to an espionage novel that you were finishing up and the timing feels right to send out queries for this project now. But you have queries out for the YA novel.

Different books in different genres. Chances are, there are different agents interested in these projects. Can you ever query two projects at once?

How would that exception work?

Any advice on this topic?
I really would advise against querying two projects at the same time (barring drastic circumstances that I can imagine at the moment but I'm sure exist). The thing is, there's practically nothing in the news that is really going to affect how sell-able a novel is. A novel is likely going to come out a year or more after the deal is done, so whatever is in the news now doesn't really affect that.

And meanwhile, it really muddies the waters if you're querying multiple projects and can lead to a lot of confusion for yourself and for the agents who might be interested in your work. I don't think it's strictly against the "rules" (whatever those are), just not sure it's the best strategy.