Editing Credentials

Questions for the resident (former) agent
dios4vida

Editing Credentials

Post by dios4vida » May 6th, 2013, 11:26 am

Hi Nathan. I'm getting ready to query soon and I have a question about what actually qualifies as a credential.

My critique partner is self-published, and since I did the majority of his editing he's graciously listed me as editor in his copyrights. His novels are fantasy, like mine, and they've had some moderate success selling on Amazon and whatnot. I wasn't paid to do this, so I can't really say I "worked" as editor on these novels. Is this worth mentioning in my query? If so, how would I word it so I don't give the impression I was hired for the work?

Thanks for all you've done to encourage and equip would-be writers like me. I hope New York and CNET are treating you well. :)
Brenda :)

Inspiration isn't about the muse. Inspiration is working until something clicks. ~Brandon Sanderson

Nathan Bransford

Re: Editing Credentials

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 8th, 2013, 10:53 pm

dios4vida wrote:Hi Nathan. I'm getting ready to query soon and I have a question about what actually qualifies as a credential.

My critique partner is self-published, and since I did the majority of his editing he's graciously listed me as editor in his copyrights. His novels are fantasy, like mine, and they've had some moderate success selling on Amazon and whatnot. I wasn't paid to do this, so I can't really say I "worked" as editor on these novels. Is this worth mentioning in my query? If so, how would I word it so I don't give the impression I was hired for the work?

Thanks for all you've done to encourage and equip would-be writers like me. I hope New York and CNET are treating you well. :)
If it's for a query for a novel I think I'd probably stick to your own work and not mention it. It's somewhat separate from the writing of the novel. Good luck!

And thanks, things in New York are great!