How should I adress a general query?

Questions for the resident (former) agent
Skyless16

How should I adress a general query?

Post by Skyless16 » April 28th, 2013, 1:14 pm

Hi,
Sorry if you've already answered this question before, I looked everywhere but couldn't find an answer.

Some agencies, in their submissions guidelines, give the option of a sending your query to a general query email address that will be sent to all of the agents. If I choose this option, how am I supposed to address the letter? When I query a specific agent, I say, "Dear Mr/Mrs. Name". But I don't know what to say when I'm not addressing just one person. I've heard that putting "To whom it may concern" is not a good choice, so I have no idea what I should say...Help!

Nathan Bransford

Re: How should I adress a general query?

Post by Nathan Bransford » May 5th, 2013, 11:28 am

Skyless16 wrote:Hi,
Sorry if you've already answered this question before, I looked everywhere but couldn't find an answer.

Some agencies, in their submissions guidelines, give the option of a sending your query to a general query email address that will be sent to all of the agents. If I choose this option, how am I supposed to address the letter? When I query a specific agent, I say, "Dear Mr/Mrs. Name". But I don't know what to say when I'm not addressing just one person. I've heard that putting "To whom it may concern" is not a good choice, so I have no idea what I should say...Help!
I would just start the query without a salutation, but however you do it they're not going to think much about it.