Simultaneous Submissions and Same Agency Submissions

Questions for the resident (former) agent
Shipple

Simultaneous Submissions and Same Agency Submissions

Post by Shipple » September 7th, 2012, 9:51 pm

Alright, so I have definitely done my homework on the query process but there are still two issues that I'm a little hazy on (mostly b/c it seems like different agents want different things, which, obviously they do). And I was thinking this might be one of the best places to get an answer.

1) When you're doing simultaneous submissions, do you recommend writing "This is a simultaneous submission," in the query letter? I've seen that recommended a few places, which makes me paranoid I need it, but on the other hand most agents recognize that you will be doing simultaneous submissions, so it seems like an unnecessary statement of "Hey, you're not that special." It's also kinda awkward to fit in, and I feel like anything to make your query letter shorter is better. So I'm just not sure (and obviously way too paranoid).

2) Obviously you don't want to submit to two agents in the same agency at the same time. That could be awkward if both did request your partial. But after one agent has rejected you, is it ok to submit to a different agent in the same agency? Unless, of course, it's one of those agencies that spells out that a no from one agent is a no from the entire agency. Then obviously not.

I'm sorry if you've already answered very similar questions. I did look around, but didn't see these two issues to which I know I'm devoting way too much worry. Thanks for this awesome blog/Forum!
"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." - J.K. Rowling (an awesome opening line)
Me: http://sarahhipple.blogspot.com/ and http://shipple.tumblr.com/

Nathan Bransford

Re: Simultaneous Submissions and Same Agency Submissions

Post by Nathan Bransford » September 10th, 2012, 1:18 pm

Shipple wrote:Alright, so I have definitely done my homework on the query process but there are still two issues that I'm a little hazy on (mostly b/c it seems like different agents want different things, which, obviously they do). And I was thinking this might be one of the best places to get an answer.

1) When you're doing simultaneous submissions, do you recommend writing "This is a simultaneous submission," in the query letter? I've seen that recommended a few places, which makes me paranoid I need it, but on the other hand most agents recognize that you will be doing simultaneous submissions, so it seems like an unnecessary statement of "Hey, you're not that special." It's also kinda awkward to fit in, and I feel like anything to make your query letter shorter is better. So I'm just not sure (and obviously way too paranoid).

2) Obviously you don't want to submit to two agents in the same agency at the same time. That could be awkward if both did request your partial. But after one agent has rejected you, is it ok to submit to a different agent in the same agency? Unless, of course, it's one of those agencies that spells out that a no from one agent is a no from the entire agency. Then obviously not.

I'm sorry if you've already answered very similar questions. I did look around, but didn't see these two issues to which I know I'm devoting way too much worry. Thanks for this awesome blog/Forum!
1) No need to mention that, it's assumed that it's a simultaneous submission.

2) It's okay to submit to another agent at the same agency assuming their submission guidelines don't indicate otherwise. However, I'd recommend waiting a month because sometimes agents share assistants and it's best to let some time pass.

Shipple

Re: Simultaneous Submissions and Same Agency Submissions

Post by Shipple » September 12th, 2012, 6:55 pm

Thank you!
"Mr and Mrs Dursley, of number four Privet Drive, were proud to say that they were perfectly normal, thank you very much." - J.K. Rowling (an awesome opening line)
Me: http://sarahhipple.blogspot.com/ and http://shipple.tumblr.com/